The best things about a recession. (1 Viewer)

chensta

HSC
N/A
Enough with all the doom and gloom surrounding the recession, lets take a new way to look at it, what are some of the good things that come out from the recession?

Serious:
Interest rate cuts, I am still employed, but the money I am now required to spend on paying mortgage is dropped dramatic, so all in all I guess I am one of the lucky ones to have no been so effected yet.

Another good things is opportunity that arises from recessions, for example so many shops are closing now that instead of paying $50,000-$100,000 buying a business, now you can pretty much walk through any suburb and pick up a place for free (including possibly all equipment, fitting etcs), and just take over the lease, so if you have a good idea, and you believe yourself I guess why not?

Semi-Serious :p:
Ever since my girlfriend was made redundant from her junior assistant job, she now spends way more time with me =)

So what do you guys think?

chensta

HSC
N/A
Cool. And um, I'm a student without a loan. Interest rate cuts -> bad.
hey mate, i know recession is bad and theres so many things that arnt so good, but I was just trying to have a thread about some positives, if any that has come out fo the recession, whether its for everyone or just personally =)

aussie2008

HSC
australia's imports decreased. which means domestic production would increase.

HSC
According to SMH it is now cheaper to borrow money to buy a house than it is to rent

greekgun

HSC
Its a pretty good time to buy a house with a mortgage loan wat with the low as interest rates and the huge first home owners grant. Only if i had a stable job...

decypher

HSC
Interest rate cuts, I am still employed, but the money I am now required to spend on paying mortgage is dropped dramatic, so all in all I guess I am one of the lucky ones to have no been so effected yet.
This is mostly irrelevant to the people of this forum because of this:

Cool. And um, I'm a student without a loan. Interest rate cuts -> bad.
Also a majority of 18-22 year olds* don't have anywhere near the amount of money required to put a deposit on a house.

*I'm assuming since they are on this forum that they are studying and thus only working P/T or casual.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
a recession is not really that bad. its only bad for people who lose thier jobs, but if you do lose your job, all it really means is that you werent very good at what you did, thats why they fired you.

worst thing about a recession is that it fills up the news too much with all these doomsday prophecies.

oh, and australia isnt in recession yet, so this thread is a bit premature ;)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Streetside cafes and shopping malls are still filled with people. What recession?

HSC
Hmmm, australia is in a negative economic downturn, A recsion means NO economic grwoth. However, Australia is still growing as a counrty. the media/newspapers over-exagrete the situaion.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i am not sure.

I feel depressed about recession.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Serious:
Chances are your house has lost a fuckload of value and will fall further.

Most home owners are much worse off, mortgage or no.

sthcross.dude

HSC
There is nothing good about the recession for the average Australian in the long run.

House prices and stock prices still have a long way to fall. Unless you have a crystal ball you are not going to be able to pick up amazing bargains. Temporary lower interest rates will no where near make up for the huge capital losses people who have purchased overpriced properties during the bubble will suffer.

Even if you still have a job, you will have much less job security and less leverage to demand better pay and conditions.

Lower interest rates, cheap petrol and falling prices are temporary.

As all the newly created money from low interest rates and stimulus packages works its way through the economy, prices will rise and real wages will fall sharply.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Folks reassess their priorities and are invited to see how meaningless money is
People are given more opportunity to help eachother out, and connect, in meaningful ways.

Relationships>materials
Peace and Love>Hate and Greed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)