The best things about a recession. (1 Viewer)

sthcross.dude

HSC
Folks reassess their priorities and are invited to see how meaningless money is
People are given more opportunity to help eachother out, and connect, in meaningful ways.

Relationships>materials
Peace and Love>Hate and Greed
I'd argue its totally the opposite.

Poor societies historically and presently have higher rates of crime and violence and general unhappiness.

Scarcity naturally makes people more selfish because once basic necessities become hard to come by our 'kill or be killed' type survival instincts kick in.

Material gives us the comfort and leisure time to be able to reflect on life, to help others and to appreciate our existence on a higher level than just base instincts.

is2buddaflies

madness the magnet
HSC
a recession is not really that bad. its only bad for people who lose thier jobs, but if you do lose your job, all it really means is that you werent very good at what you did, thats why they fired you.

worst thing about a recession is that it fills up the news too much with all these doomsday prophecies.

oh, and australia isnt in recession yet, so this thread is a bit premature ;)
Australia is on the brink of recession. Stupid kRudd is pouring money into the economy just so he can look like a good boy come election time. Why do you think most other countries are bowing down to the global economic meltdown? because they'd rathar spend money revamping their economy rathar than avoiding something that will come anyway.

just my theory. feel free to prove me wrong :)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Chances are your house has lost a fuckload of value and will fall further.

Most home owners are much worse off, mortgage or no.
And so they should, houses are way overvalued right now. House prices are dropping, but they should be much much lower than they currently are, the first home buyers grant and other crap like that will slow the fall, but then it will continue again.

This means that by the time i get out of uni with a stable job and ready to buy a house it will be cheap as shit = positive.

Big bloated companies are folding. Fuck them. Their old way of doing things is shit and outdated, i hope the music industry starts dying first so that innovative and fresh companies can fill their place. They are built on a system of greed, stomping out the little guy and trying to grab huge sections of the market, all the while fucking over their customers. If you dont like it then fuck you, they currently have the money to walk all over you in court, theres nothing an average consumer can do if you get fucked over right now.

So many companies are stuck in the old way of doing things and it will cause their downfall. I know it seems like a negative when you see big companies going under, but its only bad in the short term. in the long term we should see a lot more content, more efficent business practises and no more ridiculous mark-ups [e.g sms costing 20c when to actually send the data costs less than a cent]. Companies will work with this consumer rather than trying to scam them. They will seek to do no evil.

Opportunity. If anyone wants to start a business, now is the time. its risky, but there are about to be a few big gaps in the market opening up and now is a time to take your slice. We should see a lot of new people taking big risks with only small amounts of money e.g $10 000 and coming out of this recession as billionaires.

Decrease in spending on environmentally unfriendly goods. We have all ready seen car sales on all but the most economical vehicles fall drastically. People will think more about how they travel and what they buy, we might even see an uptake in environmentally friendly stuff like solar panels as people try to save on their power bill and harness free energy.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Australia is on the brink of recession. Stupid kRudd is pouring money into the economy just so he can look like a good boy come election time. Why do you think most other countries are bowing down to the global economic meltdown? because they'd rathar spend money revamping their economy rathar than avoiding something that will come anyway.

just my theory. feel free to prove me wrong :)
you're not getting that $900/$950, are you

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'd argue its totally the opposite.

Poor societies historically and presently have higher rates of crime and violence and general unhappiness.

Scarcity naturally makes people more selfish because once basic necessities become hard to come by our 'kill or be killed' type survival instincts kick in.

Material gives us the comfort and leisure time to be able to reflect on life, to help others and to appreciate our existence on a higher level than just base instincts.
na we were happier in medieval times tbh

E

Empyrean444

Yes, near-endemic warfare is so much better than social peace and stability.

Tonthat

HSC
Hmmm, australia is in a negative economic downturn, A recsion means NO economic grwoth. However, Australia is still growing as a counrty. the media/newspapers over-exagrete the situaion.
A recession is two successive quarters of negative growth. And Australia is not 'still growing as a counrty'. We've just had our first quarter of negative growth.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
a recession is not really that bad. its only bad for people who lose thier jobs, but if you do lose your job, all it really means is that you werent very good at what you did, thats why they fired you.
No it doesn't always mean you were not doing a good job at your work. The demand for products falls and the need for the person disappears. They might have been doing an excellent job, but if there is no work for them left to do and the business will acquire more and more debt, making people redundent is one of the few things that can be done.

is2buddaflies

madness the magnet
HSC
you're not getting that $900/$950, are you
nope, just like the many other people whos parents that pay 47c taxes and get jackshit. *sigh they shouldnt take parents income into consideration, like they ever give us anything:burn:

HSC
Well, you have to put yourself in other ppls shoes.. that money may get them through another week, pay their childs school fees etc

Tonthat

HSC
Well, you have to put yourself in other ppls shoes.. that money may get them through another week, pay their childs school fees etc
It's not free money.

Government spending is only worthwhile if it goes into infrastructure or something similar.

sthcross.dude

HSC
It's not free money.

Government spending is only worthwhile if it goes into infrastructure or something similar.
I am fucking sick of hearing this motherfucking infrastructure bullshit. Every hack that's suddenly an expert on the economy seems to be touting this bullshit.

The best way to improve infrastructure is to cut taxes and government spending. Let the private sector build infrastructure where the market demands it. Not where politicians decide they need to sure up some votes in marginal electorates.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
haha i love '08ers spilling shit they learn in economics.

love it.

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
isn't the $900 going to replace the tax cuts we would be getting next year or some shit?

EpicFailGuy

Banned
HSC
so pretty much rudd is saying "ooooh look guyz you can have $900" when really he is only forwarding us our tax cuts... shifty bastard is playing the people! o well thats politics for you.

Tonthat

HSC
The best way to improve infrastructure is to cut taxes and government spending. Let the private sector build infrastructure where the market demands it. Not where politicians decide they need to sure up some votes in marginal electorates.
But tax cuts don't have an immediate effect on the economy. And even then it isn't certain that people will spend that extra money. If we're in a recession people are likely to save a good portion of it anyway. At least government spending goes straight into the economy.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
But tax cuts don't have an immediate effect on the economy. And even then it isn't certain that people will spend that extra money. If we're in a recession people are likely to save a good portion of it anyway. At least government spending goes straight into the economy.
Lol yeah 'cause no one's gonna save the $900 from the government. And I don't even do Economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)