The Cricket Thread (2 Viewers)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The Official Cricket Thread

replace with hilfy? mmmm i don't think he has performed drop-worthy as of late.
He's had a bowling average over 60 this summer, if that isn't dropworthy I don't know what is.

williamc

HSC

Hauritz had a horrid average until 2nd innings of last test and he hadnt even had any decent performances before to help cement him in the team (unlike siddle) yet the selectors still had the confidence to go with him over steve smith

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

I would drop North, issue with bringing back Hughes is where do you play him? Katich and Watson have to open, and I don't know whether Hughes is capable of batting down the order yet. Perhaps reward Marsh for his outstanding domestic form.

Siddle won't be dropped, but if he was I would like to see a young bowler like Hazlewood get his chance. It's a dead rubber, a perfect time to experiment and give them vital test match experience.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC

North deserves to be anal raped for his poor performance.

I would play watson further down the order and put hughes in at opener.

kounato

HSC

North deserves to be anal raped for his poor performance.

I would play watson further down the order and put hughes in at opener.
lol yes 100% agree about North, but not to sure about moving watson. Could they possibly try Katich down the order?

Mozza91

HSC

Hughes doesn't deserve to retain his spot his form doesn't warrant it, I watched his hundred at Newcastle against the Victards and he didn't play well at all gave alot of chances plus the pitch was a road.

There are no players good enough in domestic cricket to take Norths spot give him one more test and if he fails look for a replacement before going to NZ.

Siddle was our best bowler in the first dig and was unlucky not to get a few wickets and with Hilfy out for the summer there are no adequate replacements

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC

lol yes 100% agree about North, but not to sure about moving watson. Could they possibly try Katich down the order?
Katich is a converted opener. so he could definitely work in middle order.
But does Hughes really deserve a spot???

Roy9

HSC

Katich is a converted opener. so he could definitely work in middle order.
But does Hughes really deserve a spot???
Didn't really do anything wrong to warrant being dropped in the first place + he's been getting runs for NSW

I still say put Watson at #6 so that he can bowl more overs. Must be extremely physically demanding to have to open the batting then go out and bowl and vice versa. He'll probably get injured soon anyway

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC

Katich had a long stint at 5 or 6 iirc and he batted at 3 for NSW for quite some time i think. That said, he has been most successful in the australian team as an opener.

I'm not sure how it would work out to accomodate hughes or to drop north. We could let Watson and Hughes open and put Katich in at 6 with Hussey at 5.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

The opening combination of Watson and Katich shouldn't be changed, they keep on piling on runs.

oobee007

HSC

BEST GAME EVER, so glad i decided to go.

and on the ponting being a 'great' captain, he isn't, an example is choosing to bowl first in a test match when McGrath wasn't playing. Steve Waugh and Allan Border were far better captains, as is Graeme Smith

williamc

HSC

BEST GAME EVER, so glad i decided to go.

and on the ponting being a 'great' captain, he isn't, an example is choosing to bowl first in a test match when McGrath wasn't playing. Steve Waugh and Allan Border were far better captains, as is Graeme Smith
One player doesn't make a team. Ponting would have still had faith in the rest of his bowling attack to get the job done. i'm assuming you are referring to the time he bowled first in the 05 ashes and they made 400 in the first day. the pitch was green. the poms batted well. we bowled horribly. the end.

williamc

HSC

there also respect the opposition and umpires and play within the civility of the game. Ponting is hostile towards umpires and opposition players and accepts no faults in his tactics. He has no diplomatic cell in his body.
then again he is the most winning test match captain. he will go down in the record books as that. not for his "hostility" in which you have confused with an insane drive to win at all costs.

Lentern

HSC

there also respect the opposition and umpires and play within the civility of the game. Ponting is hostile towards umpires and opposition players and accepts no faults in his tactics. He has no diplomatic cell in his body.
To be fair he's improving, he's no Bill Woodfull but gone is the tantrum throwing toddler who lead the side to England in 2005 and was made to look classless but the infinitely more refined Michael Vaughn. Admittedly he's never going to be the tactician that Taylor or Lloyd were, nor the gentleman that Gilchrist or Dravid were but he's passable in those departments these days and as always he is committed, hard working, driven and enthusiastic. The one thing he still does that I really think is wrong is the way he attacks esteemed members of the cricketing community like Neil Harvey and Peter Roebuck when they criticize him, its just not in keeping within the rank and file conventions of the spirit of cricket.

IAskQuestions

HSC

then again he is the most winning test match captain. he will go down in the record books as that. not for his "hostility" in which you have confused with an insane drive to win at all costs.
One player doesn't make a team. Ponting would have still had faith in the rest of his bowling attack to get the job done. i'm assuming you are referring to the time he bowled first in the 05 ashes and they made 400 in the first day. the pitch was green. the poms batted well. we bowled horribly. the end.
When people say that australia loses matches under ponting you say it was a result that reflects the team. But then you give ponting credit for all the wins of the side under him as captain and state that ponting is supported by having the most wins. Contradiction?

Last edited:

williamc

HSC

To be fair he's improving, he's no Bill Woodfull but gone is the tantrum throwing toddler who lead the side to England in 2005 and was made to look classless but the infinitely more refined Michael Vaughn. Admittedly he's never going to be the tactician that Taylor or Lloyd were, nor the gentleman that Gilchrist or Dravid were but he's passable in those departments these days and as always he is committed, hard working, driven and enthusiastic. The one thing he still does that I really think is wrong is the way he attacks esteemed members of the cricketing community like Neil Harvey and Peter Roebuck when they criticize him, its just not in keeping within the rank and file conventions of the spirit of cricket.
Finally, someone who knows a little bit about cricket.

cabina

HSC

Finally, someone who knows a little bit about cricket.
Lentern certainly knows a lot about cricket.
The same cannot be said about you though. Grade cricket does not make you an expert by any means and IAskQuestions showed how inept your posts are.

Ponting's past behaviour in comparison to all other captains around the world was and to some extent still is appalling. But yeh he has definitely attempted to mend his ways recently. Hopefully we can lose the tag of being the "Ugly Aussies".

Last edited:

williamc

HSC

Lentern certainly knows a lot about cricket.
The same cannot be said about you though. Grade cricket does not make you an expert by any means and IAskQuestions showed how inept your posts are.

Ponting's past behaviour in comparison to all other captains around the world was and to some extent still is appalling. But yeh he has definitely attempted to mend his ways recently. Hopefully we can lose the tag of being the "Ugly Aussies".
na im right ur wrong

THE MOST WINNIGN CAPTAIN OF ALL TIME HE WINS

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)