The Cricket Thread (1 Viewer)

IAskQuestions

HSC
Re: The Official Cricket Thread

na im right ur wrong

THE MOST WINNIGN CAPTAIN OF ALL TIME HE WINS
then again he is the most winning test match captain. he will go down in the record books as that. not for his "hostility" in which you have confused with an insane drive to win at all costs.
One player doesn't make a team. Ponting would have still had faith in the rest of his bowling attack to get the job done. i'm assuming you are referring to the time he bowled first in the 05 ashes and they made 400 in the first day. the pitch was green. the poms batted well. we bowled horribly. the end.
When people say that australia loses matches under ponting you say it was a result that reflects the team. But then you give ponting credit for all the wins of the side under him as captain and state that ponting is supported by having the most wins. Contradiction? Please respond william.

cabina

HSC

na im right ur wrong

THE MOST WINNIGN CAPTAIN OF ALL TIME HE WINS
nah your shit.

kaz1 said:
Yeah, but Kemar Roach has really fucked him up.
Ponting is still wearing arm guard after Kemar.
BTW its nice to see the cricket thread is lively again.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC

having averaged 28 and 31 (with the ball) over 2 seasons of sydney 1st grade cricket i'm pretty sure i'm not shit, and my opinion has some empirical merit.

Results reflect the performance of the team yes. It is the captains responsibility however, to ensure the team performs at it's optimum, through strategic game-play to win games. Over my time of watching and playing professional cricket i've watched and played with some great and not so great captain's. A horrible captain is like an anchor on a team, however good the team may be, indiviudally. For Ricky to have such an impressive record, whilst partly attributing to the skill of the players, can also be put down to his leadership abilities. His arrogant and hostile demonour, is like his killer instinct, or win at all costs. At the end of the day, his job is to win games of cricket. They Australian's have always been known to stretch the moral boundaries. Having talked to greg matthews (he plays for syd uni 1st grade), he use to tell me about the ridiculous slander and banter the team would employ. Allan Border, Steve Waugh, Mark taylor - you name it, they all know how to give it to the opposition to throw them off their game. They surely weren't happy with a loss. I'm sure everyone has seen that video clip of Allan Border losing the plot when we lost that test match by 1 run, to that dubious decision. (against England, and they had a record 10th wicket partnership stand in an ashes series at the time)

It's a professional sport. You are never happy with a loss. It's failure. You can imagine for Ponting, coming from an era of winning, (and being the first captain to lose the Ashes in 18 years or whatever it was) it would be tough to take a loss graciously.

Last edited:

Mozza91

HSC

To be fair he's improving, he's no Bill Woodfull but gone is the tantrum throwing toddler who lead the side to England in 2005 and was made to look classless but the infinitely more refined Michael Vaughn. Admittedly he's never going to be the tactician that Taylor or Lloyd were, nor the gentleman that Gilchrist or Dravid were but he's passable in those departments these days and as always he is committed, hard working, driven and enthusiastic. The one thing he still does that I really think is wrong is the way he attacks esteemed members of the cricketing community like Neil Harvey and Peter Roebuck when they criticize him, its just not in keeping within the rank and file conventions of the spirit of cricket.
Awta, except for the Neil Harvey part the bloke is a legend of the game but is a bitter negative prick who only criticises.

Roy9

HSC

Which is why North should be dropped for Marsh and keep Watson and Katich opening.
Marsh is an opener too though, isn't he. He'd be better than North anyway.... I thought North was originally picked to be an all rounder but he barely ever bowls. Clarke and Katich are just as good as him anyway

williamc

HSC

Prefer katich over clarke as a part timer. LEGGIES BABY

oobee007

HSC

Marsh is an opener too though, isn't he. He'd be better than North anyway.... I thought North was originally picked to be an all rounder but he barely ever bowls. Clarke and Katich are just as good as him anyway
Marsh opens in one dayers and t20 but has been batting 3 in sheffield shield and getting runs.

Roy9

HSC

Sitting here past 3am in the morning wondering how the fuck England survived again.... bloody hell

Lentern

HSC

Awta, except for the Neil Harvey part the bloke is a legend of the game but is a bitter negative prick who only criticises.
He is a former Australian team captain, chairman of selectors, a man who played alongside Don Bradman, Lindsay Hassett, Bill Brown, Arthur Morris and Richie Benaud. By all reports he played with distinction and integrity, upholding the spirit of the game with enthusiasm and pride. He is a man who witnessed Jardine and Woodfull, Benaud and Worrell, Chappell and Lloyd, Border and Richards and dozens more influential captains that have shaped where cricket is today. He has earned his right to weigh in and can be disagreed with in a more dignified way than Ponting tends to adopt.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Looks like they're gonna drop Hughes and not North for Katich. :(

williamc

HSC

Looks like they're gonna drop Hughes and not North for Katich. :(
Chairman of the selectors has also stated this isn't a make or break test for North. His spot is secure for the time being.

P.T.F.E

HSC

Chairman of the selectors has also stated this isn't a make or break test for North. His spot is secure for the time being.
this is stupid supid tim nealson was like "hussy went trough the same thing... his just lost form... now look at hussy on the other end of it"

NORTH ISNT HUSSY! north hasnt proven he deserves his position sercure unlike hussy who was tremendous.

Gah he better do well in hobart.
and i want to see ponting get runs...when was the last time i saw ponting to get 100....?

Lentern

HSC

this is stupid supid tim nealson was like "hussy went trough the same thing... his just lost form... now look at hussy on the other end of it"

NORTH ISNT HUSSY! north hasnt proven he deserves his position sercure unlike hussy who was tremendous.

Gah he better do well in hobart.
and i want to see ponting get runs...when was the last time i saw ponting to get 100....?
Last test of a Summer is not really the time to do something transitional like replace North with Hughes. It's for that very reason in past years we've seen people like Kasprowvicz and Elliot called back from the dead to fill in following injuries to key players mid series rather than summon someone like Shaun Tait or Phil Jacques only for them to be dropped one or two tests later.

That and Hughes is favoured to be a long term opener for Australia but Australia currently has a world class top three combination including two players in their mid thirties. They aren't about to change the top three at the moment and aren't going to let Hughes turn himself into a middle order batsman, instead its better he keep developing his openers game at test level for when Katich or Ponting retires/is put out to pasture.

kounato

HSC

3rd test in Hobart tomorrow :)

P.T.F.E

HSC

well ponting has proven himself to me. he still has he mojo and his mate is mighty fine ;)

williamc

HSC

at lunch on day 2, ponting nearing a double ton and clarke also looking good on 150odd not out. looks as if they can bat forever

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Pakistan looses with a 3-0 white wash. Was hoping for a better contest although the Sydeny test was a good match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)