The Cricket Thread (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
re: The Official Cricket Thread

Under Taylor, Waugh/any other captain, I would say this match was in the bag. Under Ponting, I can see us finding ways of fucking it up. I reckon he will bat too long and SA will comfortably settle for the draw.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

i think they will try and get a quick hundred so they have a lead of 400. then send south africa in.
What about this referral business do u think its good or crap?
I honestly don't think that Ponting would feel totally confident with a lead of 400, given the past series.

Siddle said as much, by saying he wouldn't think a declaration would happen before Day 5. Probably wrong though, Ponting may well declare and let them get 400.

P.T.F.E

HSC

Under Taylor, Waugh/any other captain, I would say this match was in the bag. Under Ponting, I can see us finding ways of fucking it up. I reckon he will bat too long and SA will comfortably settle for the draw.
HAVE FAITH ponting knows what he is doing, he knows a hell of a lot more than Taylor the dumb prik.

blue_chameleon

HSC

To be fair, whilst the 3 mentioned captains are all different in their approaches, Waugh and Taylor had the luxury of Warne and McGrath in their bowling line up (though not through all of Taylor's captaincy).

Hopefully Ponting has learnt a bit from the series in Aus against the saffas.

trickx

HSC

Why do you think game plan strategy is left solely to the captain?

Do you not understand that they have an entire coaching staff that constantly go through the gameplay with detailed analysis and not just a subjective feel to a game?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

As Ian Chappell once said, 'a coach is the thing that drives the players from the ground to the airport'.

If you have played a team sport, I'm sure you will understand that the decisions taken by the captain on the field carry far greater levity than the token words of a coach off it.

Roy9

HSC

Just have to bat South Africa out of the game first.... So I think they will bat with a fair bit of intent and then declare around tea so that they have a session to snare 2-3 wickets before stumps.

xceler8

HSC

Ponting should think carefully about declaring. South Africa is an unpredictable side at the moment as we have seen during the summer. If Ponting delares early SA might win and if he waits for tons of runs then there goes the match for a draw...

P.T.F.E

HSC

yer a tough call.

i think the referral thing is a waste of time what do u reakon?

trickx

HSC

As Ian Chappell once said, 'a coach is the thing that drives the players from the ground to the airport'.

If you have played a team sport, I'm sure you will understand that the decisions taken by the captain on the field carry far greater levity than the token words of a coach off it.
I've played cricket at a representative level and the coaching staff play just as important role as the team itself.

You don't understand how much research cricket undertakes to play successfully.

P.T.F.E

HSC

yer i doubt whether this will be left solely up to ponting

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

Ricky Ponting is an idiot, FFS how can you NOT enforce the follow-on, geez, by enforcing the follow-on you have ensured your team victory.

You can say "the bowlers are tired" but if they bowled good enough to enforce the follow-on then they should'nt be that tired that they can't bowl effectively.

It makes no sense whatsoever, Australia gave South Africa a chance to not only draw but possibly win the match.

The Crazy thing is, Ricky ponting NEVER enforces the follow-on.

monesh

HSC

Ricky Ponting is an idiot, FFS how can you NOT enforce the follow-on, geez, by enforcing the follow-on you have ensured your team victory.

You can say "the bowlers are tired" but if they bowled good enough to enforce the follow-on then they should'nt be that tired that they can't bowl effectively.

It makes no sense whatsoever, Australia gave South Africa a chance to not only draw but possibly win the match.

its true, he believes in the score mass amount of runs and morally fuck the other team, which failed miserably after getting out for 200 lol....but i think y this time he didnt enforce the follow on was because at the wonderers or however u spell it 5th day pitch is still very difficult for batters...other then that i got nothing.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

its true, he believes in the score mass amount of runs and morally fuck the other team, which failed miserably after getting out for 200 lol....but i think y this time he didnt enforce the follow on was because at the wonderers or however u spell it 5th day pitch is still very difficult for batters...other then that i got nothing.
Yeah, i brought up my rant with my brother and his main reason was what you mentioned there and the fact that the bowlers will get very tired

P.T.F.E

HSC

if we forced the follow on the lead may not have been great enough due to the unpredicable south african side, they would have had two days to get 240 they could have taken it so slow. noow we have increased the pressure for lots of fast runs if SA want the win. and the decreased the pressure on the Aussies. obviously the plan wasnt quite to plan by losing so many wickets but we effectivly have set ourselves up for a win. weather permiting.

blue_chameleon

HSC

Well, at least the coach is confident.

:uhoh:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

Ever since the India debacle in 2001, where we led by 260+, and forced India to follow on, only to see them get 600+ and manage to lose, Australian captains just do not enforce the follow on under any circumstances. They are mentally scared, even Ponting even though he wasn't captain then.

trickx

HSC

In theory, the follow-on would be a perfect way to maintain control and mount pressure upon the opponents. But really, it just is too much for the bowlers, especially the seamers.

Think about it, having to bowl consistently at challenging pace for two days straight. It just doesn't work like that. It would be better to opt for the safter option of going back into bat and set a competitive run-chase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)