the current english course is a waste of time, true or false (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs01001

HSC
Stop arguing over whether bloody English is useful or not. Its there, its unfortunate that it must count in the UAI, just put up with it for another year and do our best and we are done. Arguing doesn't change their policy.

slzybanana

HSC
and yet, it was from english, the 'complete waste of time' that you learnt the concepts of utopia and that 'One man's Utopia is another man's Dystopia.' Students are being motivated to work because they don't want to fail their uni courses, they don't want to fail at life. This is one reason why people drop out of school. They can't cope with this country's education. They can't cope with the pressure, they can't cope with the thought of the HSC, the UAI, they can't cope with the prospect of failing. The HSC means too much to kids today. They say its not the end of the world, but to alot of people it IS. Education is tedious, harsh, annoying, because in the end everyone's only doing it so they can get a stable career, make money and support themselves. The importance of education is to experience the world. To experience life, to be able to appreciate the things around us. Engineering for example, can show the beauty of machines, it can show us what's inside that plastic case or what's under the hood in the car, down to every last screw or bolt. Maths and science, they allows us to see things for more than that which meets the eye. The atoms in iron, the laws of gravity, the way in which the universe works. English, self expression, thought process, communication, they all show us beautiful things in this world. Ok lets not call it english for a second, because that isn't really the right term for the things it teaches, e.g. they probably learn the same things in Japan, but in their own language. i.e they would have a sub called 'Japanese' where they learn JAP poetry and JAP literature, but its essentially the same thing. Here is a quote from a very well educated Chinese man with a very high level of thought:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] “If your will is not strong, if your thought does not oppose injustice, you will fritter away your life stuck in the commonplace, silently submitting to the bonds of emotion, forever cowering before mediocrities, never escaping the downward flow.”

To me, these are truly beautiful words of self expression. Without that level of thought process, it is impossible for one to be able to achieve this level of expression. That is what the subject of english is teaching us. You asked 'Who here enjoys english?' Well I do, even though I don't like advanced all that much, I DO enjoy extension. And yeah, we DO learn the thought process through the content in this subject. I, for one, certainly have learnt to think at a higher level. To see things from other perspectives. When I watch a film, I'm no longer simply guided along by the director's hand. I even notice things like lighting, camera angle etc. Should english be compulsory? Ok, no it shouldn't, I agree with you there. However, that STILL doesn't make it a waste of time. No subject is a waste of time, because each and every subject gives you a little more knowledge, lets you see the world a little differently, lets you express yourself in more ways, lets you see the world in a little bit more detail.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

cfair

Banned
HSC
FUCKING HELL.

Clearly the syllabus should be teaching us how to use paragraphs.

Do you actually think people will read that 11m high wall of text?

mjgeneral

HSC
Fine we'll stop arguing, but its the people who just "accept" things, seems like were pawns in a big game. If people had the willpower, a student rebellion against the state, although absurd, would work. This country better hope that I don't become the next leader. I would make a nazi holocaust, but itd b the poets in the concentration camps

slzybanana

HSC
hey, i'll defend to the end that english is not a waste of time =D

ekirii

iota
HSC
maybe we should all indulge in some greek sophistry - protagoras here we come.

oh, if you guys want to talk about something that's probably more 'useless' and 'waste of time' - classical greek has probably got to take the cake if you take that slant on our current english course.

but i love it. and that's all that really matters to me.

ekirii

iota
HSC
actually, i just like protagoras because he said mathematics was an 'irrelevant subject' - and that we should pursue political action and politics.

im not exactly the most indulgent person of politics though.

eflatmajor

HSC
slzybanana said:
. English, self expression, thought process, communication, they all show us beautiful things in this world. Ok lets not call it english for a second, because that isn't really the right term for the things it teaches, e.g. they probably learn the same things in Japan, but in their own language. i.e they would have a sub called 'Japanese' where they learn JAP poetry and JAP literature, but its essentially the same thing. Here is a quote from a very well educated Chinese man with a very high level of thought:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]“If your will is not strong, if your thought does not oppose injustice, you will fritter away your life stuck in the commonplace, silently submitting to the bonds of emotion, forever cowering before mediocrities, never escaping the downward flow.”

To me, these are truly beautiful words of self expression. Without that level of thought process, it is impossible for one to be able to achieve this level of expression. That is what the subject of english is teaching us. You asked 'Who here enjoys english?' Well I do, even though I don't like advanced all that much, I DO enjoy extension. And yeah, we DO learn the thought process through the content in this subject. I, for one, certainly have learnt to think at a higher level. To see things from other perspectives. When I watch a film, I'm no longer simply guided along by the director's hand. I even notice things like lighting, camera angle etc. Should english be compulsory? Ok, no it shouldn't, I agree with you there. However, that STILL doesn't make it a waste of time. No subject is a waste of time, because each and every subject gives you a little more knowledge, lets you see the world a little differently, lets you express yourself in more ways, lets you see the world in a little bit more detail.
[/FONT]
The ironic thing is if that chinese man came to Australia he would not have passed his HSC and probably not even his School Cert . No one will hear the words of some guy working at coles or whatever, no matter how philosophical they are. The fact that english counts to the mark that makes up a persons future is absurd.

No matter how good you are, if you have the potential to find the cure for cancer, if you have potential to find a way to produce fusion energy, If you dont know english (like if you're a refugee or something), you dont get to that uai you need to go to uni to live up to that potential

Last edited:

saschy

HSC
dude person whoever you are i totally agree with you, english is complet crap, we use none of it, i can prove it is a major waste of time, coz nxt yr i wont be doing it and i wont need it for my remaining three subjects (my skls freaked we do 3 hsc subjects this yr and 3 nxt yr)

slzybanana

HSC
that 'guy' isn't just any wise chinaman. He is Zhuge Liang from the Three Kingdoms period in ancient chinese history. He was considered to be and still is considered, the greatest strategist in the thousands of years of chinese history and is still very highly regarded today. He had both the most brilliant mind of his time and also the highest moral values of his period. But aside from that...yeah well, without having the chance to learn english and adapt to modern society (or should i say be corrupted by modern society's values), he wouldn't pass the hsc =( and probably wouldn't even be hired by coles...

ekirii

iota
HSC
he's also dead.

but @slzybanana he is amazing. i'm sure if they had coles back in china then he would have found a way to rise up in the ranks of coles myer and enlarge the conglomerate. but let's be content that he actually decide to do campaigns and not stocktaking etc.

have you read the art of war btw? zhuge liang's not sun tzu's.

makes for some really interesting reading. if anyone's interested, the romance of three kingdom's is fascinating as well.

HSCsimulator

HSC
mjgeneral said:
They should be teaching us grammar and spelling, because a lot of tertiary students have trouble in that, instead of the crap were getting now eg analysing films.
after the 2007 HSC pls

cs01001

HSC
mjgeneral said:
Fine we'll stop arguing, but its the people who just "accept" things, seems like were pawns in a big game. If people had the willpower, a student rebellion against the state, although absurd, would work.
No, I do not see myself as a 'pawn' in BOS's big game.

A) a student rebellion would do nothing positive and will most likely be ignored
B) Not 100% of all students in NSW would join your so called 'rebellion against the state'.

Wouldn't it be better off to use the energy to concentrate on improving the English marks, than to whinge about something you can't change?

Last edited:

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
English and Maths are basically the same thing. Shut up.

slzybanana

HSC
@ekirii
hm ive read neither sun's or zhuge's art of war, though i actually started reading zhuge's 'way of the general', it's some pretty good stuff. i quite admire some of the people of that time, as they had really high moral values and a sense of righteousness and honour. Leaders like that just don't seem to exist anymore =/
As for RotK, although exagerated, it's a real interesting piece (or should i say pieces, since there's so many volumes) to read. I was reading it online before, but the site seems to have shut down =( Xiahou Dun is like in my top 5 favourite generals/leaders lol. Arrow in the eye, followed by "Essence of my father, blood of my mother, I cannot throw this away," and then swallowing the eye and continuing to fight everyone. Then there's of course the unforgettable Guan Yu, who was as so great that even the enemy leader Cao Cao buried him with full honours and gave him the title Marquis Zhuangmou. Well yeah lol, I'm a three kingdoms romantic. so many unforgettable people and truly heartwrenching speeches.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
This thread is giving me the shits.

yes, the current english course is lame. your point is....? yeah mang, let's get 0 in all of our preliminary assessments which no one actually gives a shit about to begin with, that'll teach that damn BOS a lesson. :confused:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
cs01001 said:
No, I do not see myself as a 'pawn' in BOS's big game.

A) a student rebellion would do nothing positive and will most likely be ignored
B) Not 100% of all students in NSW would join your so called 'rebellion against the state'.

Wouldn't it be better off to use the energy to concentrate on improving the English marks, than to whinge about something you can't change?
two is better than one with the very last statement

cs01001

HSC
f3nr15 said:
two is better than one with the very last statement
Sorry, I dont get you :(

Very tired from tennis, please excuse me if I wrote anything wrong

Currently rushing on 'The Scramble for Africa' :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)