The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
mizosoup said:
I went inwith higher hopes than an ant and came out feeling disappointed and mourning for adams. But in retrospective, it was actually an excellent movie. Done exceptionally well, esp considering that they were first time film directors and all. Best two scenes were the wool one and when Arthur and Slartibartfast are moving along the factory floor

I think it just might have been the whole putting-a-story-where-there-is-no-story thing that put me off. I think that's it. The story was crap but the rest was excellent.

Less of a focus on Ford than I tohught there would be but then again, the critics say he couldn't act. He had cool towel though!

I love Marvin :p
yeah sadly they kinda turned Ford into a 'token black' character and pushed him to the perimeter

he was pretty much superfluous after twenty minutes

Keen

MD
HSC
I don't think he was a 'token black' - if you're read the books he played the part he was supposed to.

Keen

mizosoup

HSC
he wasn't the token black but Ford was kinda bumped away from the centre of his spotlight, if you get what that means

HSC
i didn't really get it, probably because i missed the first twenty minutes or so of it .. some bits were funny though, like just really randomly funny. the sperm whale bit cracked me up, and the flower pot.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
mizosoup said:
I went inwith higher hopes than an ant and came out feeling disappointed and mourning for adams
Douglas Adams did a lot of the script and story changes for that movie before he died, though.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Um, the ending to the movie was the same as the ending to the book ("let's get something to eat"), and easily leaves room for a sequel. And Mostly Harmless was written by Adams, it was just shit. Still, wished they could've had that immortal alien that wants to insult every single creature in the universe.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Douglas Adams wrote the fifth book, Mostly Harmless, with the intention of a sixth book. He died, though.

Kind of explains the fact that everybody (except Zaphod) dies in book five. Fitting, I guess.

J

jhakka

Argonaut said:
Yeah, but Earth II wasn't completed at the end of the first book, was it?
No. It was created at the start of So Long and Thanks For All the Fish

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i thought it is a very good adaptation of the book, the actors fitted the roles very well

edit:
but somehow, i suspect that they will decide to make sequals and without douglas adams there, they'll introduce some one-eyed hollywood producers, bigger budget and completely deviate from the books...

Last edited:

Falcon_Beast

HSC
Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy...

They were all written by Adams, no-one but Adams could possibly hope to write anything to do with the Guide, or Holistic Detection, but we'll leave that for another argument. He did write a sixth book in the trilogy (yes, trilogy) it was called Salmon Of Doubt and was published post-humously along with a lot of pieces he had written for magazines and the like over the years.

Trivia, where did the idea for the Hitch Hiker's Guide come from? I'll give you a hint Adams was drunk when he thought of it.

He did most of the writing and a fair bit of the filming was directed by Adams before he died (his death being in 2001 from a heart attack while he was visitng a gym in Santa F'e, New Mexico). If you are all so very interested, something Douglas would have found very gladdening and a little scary, go to www.bbc.co.uk/cult and follow the links to H2G2, a site began by Adams, who was a complete computer nerd.

I LOVE MARVIN!!!

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
does anyone remember the boghogsin the fifth book?? or whatever its called, that part was funny.

and the bit in the first book, where between every chapter he will write something totally irrelevant to the story . something like , there was one little planet, on this planet there was 6 princes , who begins a long journey on 5 horses.....( i laughed non-stop for like 5 minutes on the 6 princes on 5 horses part)
.......and then when the travllers complained that why wont the princes do something productive other than chucking rocks at passing traveller. They will break into the most beautiful singing anyone has ever heard......

wat about the part when he writes about the planet where inhabitants like to run up behind other people, knock them out with a baseball bat for no apparent reason and then run away asap.... that was a classic.

Last edited:

taxman

make poverty
HSC
lol...Brockian Ultra Cricket. It was an immensely popular intergalactic sport. The rules were pretty funny.

As for the trivia answer, got the idea from 'The Hitchhikers Guide To Europe.' Thought about the galaxy, etc, etc...don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Anybody read Douglas' biography by M.J Simpson? Got a lot of good stuff in there...like his sketch about a kamikaze pilot that failed his last three missions (only mentions it, doesn't contain the script.)

mizosoup

HSC
Falcon_Beast said:
He did write a sixth book in the trilogy (yes, trilogy) it was called Salmon Of Doubt and was published post-humously along with a lot of pieces he had written for magazines and the like over the years.
Not quite...Salmon of Doubt isnt part of hitchhikers but the first half is a collection of all the stuff his publisher or someone like that found on his harddrive after Adams passed away and they just compiled it. The second half is the beginnings of the next part of the Dirk Gently series.

So not a sixth book in the trilogy.

Man I feel like such an obsessed nerd now.....

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Falcon_Beast said:
Trivia, where did the idea for the Hitch Hiker's Guide come from? I'll give you a hint Adams was drunk when he thought of it.
I believe it was when he was lying drunk and naked in a corn field.

J

jhakka

In Belgium or Germany or somewhere. It's in the front of my Trilogy of Four book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)