"the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC" (1 Viewer)

sporklol

HSC
scaredytiger said:
they also have a tendency to have really shitty study/assignment habits, due to never having to try prior to the HSC.
thats deffinately true
hsc has been a major shock after topping subjects with minimal class work and no study all throughout highschool

for the first time assignments done the night before have not gotten me were i want to be

HSC
jamesboyd9, you hit the nail right on the head

effort gets you places, but they're not necessarily the best place to be

the hsc fails for measuring effort > intelligence
which is pretty much the reason so many idiots get top jobs

HSC
pijankengur said:
Hold up. Are you suggesting you're one of these naturally smart kids that winged stuff and is doing alright?

If so, you're doing general maths .. lol .. you are in no way naturally smart.

If not, please disregard this post.
1. i am lazy
2. ive swapped states twice (06 and 07) and picked up two subjects i didnt originally start doing in third term prelim(due to four of my original subjects being on the same two lines)
3. the swapping lead to me practically skipping year 10.

due to the fact i didnt actually do most of prelim mathematics, and i picked up two subjects, i dropped to general for the HSC.

i still ranked 4th in my mathematics class for prelim, i just figured i needed the extra study(lol) time for my other subjects.

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
isn't general maths like year 10 maths anyway?
yeah, basically. which is why i spend my general maths lessons watching movies.

the only vaguely tricky part is the way they word questions.

i have never spent more than 10 minutes of a lesson doing work.

HSC
pijankengur said:
My thought is that you're objection in point 1 is contradictory? You're the one who put in the hard work, night before is not hard work ..
'Smart kids' don't tend to get there through 'sheer hard work', they get there through smart work. An intelligent student with an effective set of study notes will always thrash some not-so-intelligent student who over a long period of time commits massive wads of content to memory through hardcore study, as is implied in this discussion.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The naturally smart people get the job done quicker and learn a lot faster than the rest. This lies in the fact that they can absorb complex information very quickly and this is what gives them a distinctive advantage over everyone else. They usually get concepts in a flash, while others have to look back and re-read to get them. It's pretty much a genetic thing, you either have it or you don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the "work hard to get results" ethic, but the reality is if you're not naturally smart, you have to work harder to get the same result. Hard work is there to maximise your potential. The very top students in the state for the HSC are usually both naturally smart AND hardworking.

Felix Jones

HSC
don't dis all the naturally smart kids, without sounding arrogant and up myself, i consider my self naturally smart (thank you God). i've put minimal effort in my studies so far but my ranking are still pretty good (adv eng. 3rd, chem 3rd, business 1st, bio 3rd, phy 2nd, maths (2/3 units) dunno yet). now im actually studying for the hsc hard out....believe it or not it's been two weeks now and i feel prepared for the hsc. so there are rare occasions where the smart kids actually put effort where it counts....btw ive stopped going to school....hehehheh waste of time.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
The funny thing is, smart people would never consider themselves smart.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: "the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC"

scaredytiger said:
um, since when?
I stick by the Proverb - "Wise people in all their wisdom realise that they know nothing", something along those lines.

Although wisdom is abit different from intelligence, I know fuck-smart people who consider themselves anything but "smart".

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: "the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC"

it's true
the really intelligent people don't feel the need to flaunt it

plus it's pretty obvious how smart someone is just by the way they talk
ie they can say something really intelligent without resorting to substituting obscure words to make themselves sound smart

Last edited:
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: "the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC"

tommykins said:
I stick by the Proverb - "Wise people in all their wisdom realise that they know nothing", something along those lines.

Although wisdom is abit different from intelligence, I know fuck-smart people who consider themselves anything but "smart".
from what ive noticed, most smart/talented people will believe in themselves intermittently.

i know people who are hella smart, and hella talented, and someone in art might say "art is the only thing im good at" one day, and then say "I HATE MY ART" the next.

its not always about getting compliments either, its just how the mind works.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: "the naturally smart kids aren't usually the ones who do well in the HSC"

scaredytiger said:
from what ive noticed, most smart/talented people will believe in themselves intermittently.

i know people who are hella smart, and hella talented, and someone in art might say "art is the only thing im good at" one day, and then say "I HATE MY ART" the next.

its not always about getting compliments either, its just how the mind works.
Fair enough, I was talking about those who flaunt it.

jamesboyd9

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
jamesboyd9, you hit the nail right on the head

effort gets you places, but they're not necessarily the best place to be

the hsc fails for measuring effort > intelligence
which is pretty much the reason so many idiots get top jobs
which suits those of us who realise that top jobs are a fucking waste of time just fine (unless you're actually interested in it I spose...)

also, I was going to comment on your choice of display name.
nice.

laila.t

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
oi bloody copy my thread style why don't ya. anyways on topic, i think if the natually smart kids put effort then i dont see why they cant do well. in fact they have an advantage.

yep i agree.. at the same time a lot of kids who arent naturally smart are liek studying their hearts out and still not getting the marks that these 'naturally smart' kids are getting.

HSC
jamesboyd9 said:
which suits those of us who realise that top jobs are a fucking waste of time just fine (unless you're actually interested in it I spose...)

also, I was going to comment on your choice of display name.
nice.
nah i'm not interested in a top job,
but it would nice to know the PM/president isn't a complete dolt

and thank you :)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
A few points on this topic:
1) I object the notion that sheer hard work will get you a good HSC mark and a successful career. I recently went through my trials in which I knocked a girl who was dominating one of my subjects right off the perch by 15+ marks. This is a girl who sat in an arts degree lecture on open day and asked halfway through what an arts degree was yet crams and rote learns every response. It's funny how a good grasp of the module and effective study can flog someone who just commits large slabs of content to short term memory.

2) I noticed a fair few of you touched on the notion of the dumb person who crams at school to end up in a job where they cram for the rest of their lives. Interesting concept.

At my school the teachers commonly repeat the anecdote of 'the little train that could' - the boy who wasn't really very good at anything but work his arse off all through highschool to get into engineering (the 'in' job in my coalmining area) and now he earns '400K a year'

I often think though: Life must really suck for that kid if through uni and throughout his working life he constantly has to compete with kids who are naturally smart and have human working habits.

Thoughts?
Although I agree with what you are saying, I have 100x more respect for the kid who isnt naturally smart and works their arse off to compete with those that are and do well in life, than the kid who says "oh well. im not smart ill just work in retail my whole life and get centrelink benefits".

Although being intelligent is a huge advantage in many aspects of life, it is not the only way to be successful, and if you look at a range of successful people, quite a few are people who would not be considered 'naturally smart'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)