The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

- L1n -

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Nah, luck + Guus = World Cup semi final. Just ask South Korea. :)

South Korea actually played well against world class opposition they were actually in the games unlike Australia tonight, yes they had luck but not this much, and ur telling me Australia's performance tonight is better than that of the South Koreans back in 2002, they were a class act back then.

- L1n -

HSC
matt#1 said:
C'mon guys...go easy on the Aussies. We lacked in certain areas tonight ...but I think that you are all expecting waaay too much. Perhaps all the expectation and excitement being conveyed by the media is influencing you all. Australia has now beaten Uruguay to qualify for our first world cup in 32 years....we've beaten current European Champions Greece...and now we have earned an amazing 1-1 result against one of the best sides in the world. I understand that we should not just be heading to the world cup to make up the numbers...but i'm still amazed and somewhat surprised by how far this Aussie side has come under Guus. The results I mentioned speak for themselves....especially considering how terrible we were under Farina at the Conferations Cup. The point I guess that I am trying to make is that before you become too critical about the Aussies...I think you should maybe just take a moment or two to savour just how amazing it is that we are even involved in such an event. Surely not even the most optimistic supporters amongst you would have imagined that this Aussie side would make make sooo much progress in so little time.

I agree we have come a long way but some people has so much expectation that they are blinded and can't see things in reality, all this Australia played crap bs, clearly we played the best to our abilities and Holland was the better team.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
- L1n - said:
South Korea actually played well against world class opposition they were actually in the games unlike Australia tonight, yes they had luck but not this much, and ur telling me Australia's performance tonight is better than that of the South Koreans back in 2002, they were a class act back then.
They didn't play well against Spain, who scored 2 legit goalz only to be wrongly ruled out fo both. If that ain't luck then I don't know what would be considered luck.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Based on that performance...I think that we will beat Japan in the first game. Japan are very quick and technically sound, but seem to have some trouble scoring and should be overwhelmed by the physical game that we played tonight. We are surely one of the most physically imposing sides going around. The challenges on the dutch players tonight were absolutely brutal. Even more so considering that the game was just a friendly. Croatia's run of results have also been ordinary. In their last 2 games they have only managed a draw with Iran and lost 1-0 to Poland. That contrasts very nicely with our last 2 results. :)

Last edited:

- L1n -

HSC
LMF^^ said:
They didn't play well against Spain, who scored 2 legit goalz only to be wrongly ruled out fo both. If that ain't luck then I don't know what would be considered luck.
they palyed well in their group phrase and they definitely played well against the Azzurri.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
- L1n - said:
I agree we have come a long way but some people has so much expectation that they are blinded and can't see things in reality, all this Australia played crap bs, clearly we played the best to our abilities and Holland was the better team.
we did play crap though. we didnt play to our best abilities - we have played so much better in past games (Uruguay, even Greece).

matt#1

HSC
N/A
No disrespect to either Uruguay or Greece...but Holland is a far more formidable opponent than either of those sides. We looked better against such sides because they applied alot less pressure than the Dutch.
We now know what to expect from the top sides in terms of speed, skill and tactical awareness. We will be much better for the experience tonight.

Last edited:

- L1n -

HSC
stazi said:
we did play crap though. we didnt play to our best abilities - we have played so much better in past games (Uruguay, even Greece).

Ur saying Uruguay and Greece are comparable in terms on skills etc etc to Holland?

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Er, I don't know how you can compare those gamez...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Er, I don't know how you can compare those gamez...
can you please stop typing like that. please. its just stupid and annoying, it offers no benefits.
thank you.

next, i dont know why i cant compare it to greece, in particular?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
- L1n - said:
Ur saying Uruguay and Greece are comparable in terms on skills etc etc to Holland?
no im not, but in terms of HOW we played technically, the methods can be compared. We passed inaccurately, etc.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Greece are nowhere near the level the Netherlands play at. And also playin a game at Melbourne would be different to playin in Rotterdam.

Oh so they're Euro champions, yeah but that does not get away from the fact that they're shit.

Jimmy_B

HSC
stazi said:
no im not, but in terms of HOW we played technically, the methods can be compared. We passed inaccurately, etc.
what did you expect? australian teams have been notorious for poor ball retention at this level. when you have a midfield that works as hard and is as gifted as hollands it was no surprise we had no ball.

comparing that game to the greek one you gotta take other factors into it. ie we were in front of a record home crowd, players wanted to stake a claim for a WC spot, the greeks just regarding it as a bit of a kickabout and not being up for it as much.

still the result was good, and i'm sure we can go toe to toe with croatia and japan.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Yes...but the bad passing and tackling in tonights game can largely be attributed to the greater pressure provided by the Dutch team's superior level of speed and skill.

Top class sides can certainly have an impact upon how well a side plays technically...so it is still hard to compare such methods.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
I would actually say that Uruguay would be more comparable to Holland than Greece. Greece may be the Euro champions...but Uruguay have better attacking players in Recoba and Forlan in particular.

sweet_as

Is with all of my people
HSC
Fair effort by the Aussies, hopefully all the jitters are now out of the system and the team can really focus towards Japan.

oh and btw....Brazil beat New Zealand 4-0 :)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
My poor Kiwis =(, judging by the reports we actually gave Brazil a hard time as they didnt score till a few minuts before the half time, and the other 3 goals came in quick succession :D. I was hoping a few injuries for Australia's sake but it wasnt meant to be :p

Further comments on the Socceroo's performance, I think our passing was initially shocking because Holland were pressing us and made us have less room and time to play with. I dont think the Socceroo's have played with that type of pressure yet, I dont recall Uruguay and Greece doing it to us. But in saying that, I think this game regardless of the result will improve us, especially in our distribution of the ball. Because it was shocking in the first half, but when we came in the 2nd half we looked like a different team on the ball.

I still think we look suss in the air, I lost count at the number of times we didnt get to the ball first. Sure, they had the height advantage but we didnt go in for the challenge in the air enough. Something Guus will work on no doubt, so I'm confident we can chalk up wins against the Japs and Croats and hang on for some sort of result against the Brazilians. One thing that worries me about the Brazil game is our defense's lack of pace. Everyone we have played so far (Uruguay, Greece) have not had any with blinding pace to run at our defense or hit us on the counter. I'm worried about Ronaldinho and Robinho on the counter =/ , not to mention the other speedsters in other teams.

otay

HSC
- L1n - said:
Umm No. If you think that we played to the best of our ability then you must have just started watching football. We were flat. Add to that our passing and marking wasn't that great and we didn't have a first team on. So not only did we not play to the best of our ability with those players, but once we get our first team all together (yeah I cant stand the bloke but Kewell makes a huge difference) I think we can be a force to be reckoned with, and I don't see why I can't expect us to advance quite far in the tournament. I'm not being blinded from reality, I am just optimistic and I find that if you don't expect to compete with the best, then you won't. And believe me Guus and the boys will expect to compete with the best. This can be evidenced in Guus pre game interview when he said he wanted us to control the game. Against Holland. In Rotterdam with a few 2nd string players against their fulll strength ranked 3rd in the world team. So Guus expects something out of this team also. Or are you one of those aim low and then you'll better your expectation type of people?? How many champions (in all sports) have ever done that (I realise Golfers don't count)?

Also no good Holland being the better team if they can't convert their opportunities.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Australia's passing, marking and ball retention was poor. Although, at times, they showed some glimpses as to what they are capable of.

In terms of the poor passing and holding the ball up - this is attributable to Holland's technical ability and extreme pressure. The Dutch are in essence a "pressing" team so this was probably expected by the Aussies as they have never played such a quality team - and Guus knows this.

The back needs some looking at. I think the flanks did fine to contain Robben and Van Persie (as good as they could) but the middle was a shambles. They got caught flat-footed on the turn many times and were lucky that Schwarzer was on the ball last night.

Overall, the game was a positive experience as it put the Socceroos up against quality competition in unfamiliar circumstances. I just hope this confidence boosts translates into some quality passing and fluent movement in the World Cup.

otay

HSC
Komit said:
Australia's passing, marking and ball retention was poor. Although, at times, they showed some glimpses as to what they are capable of.

In terms of the poor passing and holding the ball up - this is attributable to Holland's technical ability and extreme pressure. The Dutch are in essence a "pressing" team so this was probably expected by the Aussies as they have never played such a quality team - and Guus knows this.

The back needs some looking at. I think the flanks did fine to contain Robben and Van Persie (as good as they could) but the middle was a shambles. They got caught flat-footed on the turn many times and were lucky that Schwarzer was on the ball last night.

Overall, the game was a positive experience as it put the Socceroos up against quality competition in unfamiliar circumstances. I just hope this confidence boosts translates into some quality passing and fluent movement in the World Cup.
^What this guy said^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)