The Official Wild Swans thread (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

timbk2 = ex Seftoner.

someone say hi to miss tsevekidis for me.
I wonder if she knows one of her students is one of the creators of this site.

btw. i can try find some wild swans notes if i can. I've already uploaded a couple in the english advance notes page. just look for my name.

T

timbk2

oh wait... ms tsevekidis left!!?! MAN!
who's left!

is Mrs Randall-Chew still there?

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Originally posted by timbk2
oh wait... ms tsevekidis left!!?! MAN!
Gah I know, Tsevekidis was such a kickass teachers, had her for year 8, 9 and 10. I wander why she left. It shouldn't be because of a baby, didn't she just have one? Poor Sefton. Another good teacher gone.

Last edited:

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
supposedly, ms loadsman is a good english teacher but unfortunately, she has been inflicted with some strange voodoo curse.

<back on topic> I have faint idea of what will be in any Wild Swans exams. We will probably be dealing with the different "readings" of the text and the purpose of the book. We should also. have an idea of what genre/combination of genres the text is. if anyone else has a clearer idea, do tell me.
</back on topic>

many a seftoner has been spotted in this thread, and yet more may exist without being detected. I support the notion of a "sefton introduction thread", for ease of indentification and/or persecution

Last edited:

phungus

HSC
yeah Ms Loadsman was an awesome teacher but unfortunately she was, from wat i have heard, injured at school....damnit now we have some replacement who's so damn demanding...

lil_rekha

woodpark...tell me if you've heard of it...if not-
Wild Swans *i wanna complain for 687 pgs 2!*

There's someone in da skool who has ms tsevekedis's notes...but i dunno who...could be mina...i reckon we should get notes from the other skool maybe they hava better teachers...lol
there's gotta be SOMEONE who understands this thing...and does someone wanna come up with ONE definition of textual intergrity instead of ten? does it have it or not?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i have them! i had tsevo last year. but i havent had time to give them to nancy :(

jimmik

HSC
Originally posted by lil_rekha
...and does someone wanna come up with ONE definition of textual intergrity instead of ten? does it have it or not?
this is entirely an opinionated piec. it is up to u to argue whether it has or has not got textual integrity. the markers will base ur marks on how well u can argue ur opinion, not if u argue the right answer because there IS NO right answer. the reason for this is because there are so many readings of the book and the context of each reader differs, hence influencing their perspective on the text.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jimmik
this is entirely an opinionated piec. it is up to u to argue whether it has or has not got textual integrity. the markers will base ur marks on how well u can argue ur opinion, not if u argue the right answer because there IS NO right answer. the reason for this is because there are so many readings of the book and the context of each reader differs, hence influencing their perspective on the text.
that is right. the whole thing youre arguing about here is, how would you classify wild swans? it has biographical, autobiographical, historical, feminist, saga etc features. how do you classify it? you cant. its a bit of everything -> it doesnt have textual integrity.

jimmik

HSC
Originally posted by Komaticom
I think to discuss textual integrity you have to mention to what extent is the book fictional. "My grandmother lived like a virtual prisoner in her home" can be entirely Jung's opinion. One can't prove it, nor disprove it.
hey can i ask who u are?

flyhigh

Personally, Wild Swans does not have textual integrity based solely on the definition, The unity of a text; its coherent use of form and language to produce an integrated whole in terms of meaning and value, in other words where a text remains true to its form e.g. if it is a bibliography then it has the features of a bilbiography.

So i don't really see how you could argue how Wild Swans has textual integrity. Well anyways, its up to the individual to decide whether it does or does not, i guess you could have arguments both ways, but seriously how does it have textual integrity?

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
it's amazing how much you miss when your away from the board for a week...

we've got our WS assesment due 2morrow...
I'm starting to understand the text:) :) :) :)

i've got some notes that might be helpful that i will try and post up when i get the chance to use the scanner for everyone

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
the point is, you can argue that it has NO textual integrity. you just gotta support your viewpoint with good evidence

life4_rent

Originally posted by Komaticom
I find it rather ironical that people can exhibit such poor grammar in an English Advanced forum. And feminist texts are pissing me off.

Can someone tell my what textual integrity is? BOOTocks woman isn't teaching much, although she IS teaching.
textual integrity's to do with the consistency a text have. the type of consistency it has varies SOOOO much.. like, in wild swans.. the damn book has no bloody textual integrity in terms of language and themes and .

eg. jung chang starts off bragging about how good her parents are and how bad everyone else is, bt never really acknowledges what other good deeds OTHER ppl hav done. the only time she actually does this is when that particular person who's done the good deed does it for her family (selfish bitch! lol) - this is one type of textual integrity (am i making sense? i'm trying to. i have a good idea on what textual integrity is, just having a bit of trouble putting it into words.. stupid lazy arse friend doesnt make her own fking notes & has scabbed my book for the last few days each day claiming that she's forgotten it wen i ask her abt it. NOTE PEOPLE: NEVER LEND YOUR BOOKS TO UNTRUSTWORTHY PEOPLE. FKN LAZY WANKERS!)

another eg: jung chang brags on and on and on abt how good communism is during the first few chapters of the book, bt later changes her mind & says communism is baaad. the fact that she's being hypocritical & contradicting herself shows that the book lacks textual integrity. the thing that really pisses me off (apart from the fact that it has a crap ending. stupid anti-climax) about her is that she goes off & makes excuses for her changing her mind. eg. to the fact that she joined the Red Guards and invade the homes of 'class enemies' (eg. her parents) exactly as Red Guard posses (Rebels) invaded HER home, she explains that she was able to keep her faith both in her parents' goodwill & in Mao's brainwashing leadership by convincing herself that evil counsellors were misleading the Chairman. in other words, she blames the authorities for convincing her to join the Red Guards.

throughout the book, you'll also see that Jung Chang forever implies that she feels uneasy about a certain situation (read between the lines ppl!!) bt always makes up an excuse for her uneasiness.

i also 'dislike' the book b/c no other bloody school does it! >.<

anyway, hope that helps. i rekon i was just ranting for no particular reason. "english is the art of bullshitting." <--- true!

-maggie xox

flyhigh

actually referring to the language used in WS it can be considered to have textual integrity in that the book is told in detached narration.

Concerning textual integrity, i think you are looking to deep into it. Just focus on the different readings of WS and the different genres Jung has used. Don't talk about themes whilst referring to textual integrity because obviously it can't have unity, as there just ideas portrayed in a text.

jimmik

HSC
Originally posted by flyhigh
actually referring to the language used in WS it can be considered to have textual integrity in that the book is told in detached narration.
can u elabvorate on that last part cuz im not sure wat u mean by detached narration n how that shows integriy. it appears quite a personal and subjective recount/memoir to me, hence the emotive language, which makes it biased. this adds to it havin no textual integrity?

Last edited:

flyhigh

The whole book is written in detached narration. Detached narration is that she is writing as though everything is normal to her e.g. when she talks about her father and mother at denunciation meetings and the violence they go through there is no emotional language to convey the horror of the situation. She is in fact conditioned to all the horror and violence of that time.

If you use the definition of textual integrity as the unity of the text; its coherent use of form and language to produce an integrated whole in terms of meaning and value, it therefore can be seen to have textual integrity, as the language - detached narration, is consistent throughout the entire book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)