• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (5 Viewers)

jirwin

HSC
Why have we got so many coles people in the Woolies thread now?
Imo there should be a Coles vs Woolies thread ;)

EDIT: Nothing like a bit of competition. V healthy.
Because the Coles thread isn't very popular and thus less interesting then this thread. I find it interesting to see the differences between woolies and coles.

quick90

HSC
With talk about A possible WA Plastic bag ban, I was wondering how the SA ban works with SCO? It would be awfully difficult I would imagine,would it not?
At my store in QLD, we don't have bags on SCO's, only one bundle sitting on top of the middle one

jirwin

HSC
me too - like you guys do clearances/pickups hourly someone said? we do like three a day.
It's not necessarily hourly - well at least at my store it isn't. The amount/regularity of a clearance depends on how busy you are. You're meant to keep an eye on your till (the register does tell you when a clearance is necessary, but usually it needs doing before the warning appears). Busy periods like Christmas Eve my supervisor was telling everyone to make sure they were doing regular clearances - mentioned to do it like once an hour. Sometimes I don't need to do a clearance until the end of my shift (4hr shifts).

PyroTek

HSC
I officially submitted my barcode login idea today.
iMathew, it will be rejected, because the corecomm about the "ideas spotlight" stated that they were closed until mid feb and any ideas submitted while they were closed will be automatically rejected..

Pyro

brookie94

HSC
Is a clearance a pickup? If so will i get in trouble for never doing them? I just dont feel confident enough just yet unless a supervisor says so. So could a get in trouble or is it just a convenience thing i mean i only started like a month and a half ago

bdude

HSC
Our tills are on a 2 week rotation. eg. 601 (Reg 1), 602 (reg 2) ... and then the next week its 701, 702 etc

so we do get the tills/floats from the night before except on mondays. on sunday nights the tills are stripped back to no more then $300 in notes (and whatever coins are just left there). so mondays are low floats :(
It's $320 in notes (3 x $50, 3 x $20, 6 x $10 and 10 x $5)

Do you at your Coles bag your tills up on weeknights or leave it in the drawer o/night?

Why have we got so many coles people in the Woolies thread now?
Imo there should be a Coles vs Woolies thread ;)

EDIT: Nothing like a bit of competition. V healthy.
Because the Coles thread's boring.

It's not necessarily hourly - well at least at my store it isn't. The amount/regularity of a clearance depends on how busy you are. You're meant to keep an eye on your till (the register does tell you when a clearance is necessary, but usually it needs doing before the warning appears). Busy periods like Christmas Eve my supervisor was telling everyone to make sure they were doing regular clearances - mentioned to do it like once an hour. Sometimes I don't need to do a clearance until the end of my shift (4hr shifts).
And you can get in trouble if you do more than one clearance per hour, so I will usually just take a look each hour if one needs doing. When the register tells you it means you really, really, REALLY need to do one. And don't the Woolworths people have to ask a supervisor for a capsule? We just have these little plastic bag thingys.

I must admit, two things about Coles' POS that annoy me are that you need supervisor permission to suspend sales and that you can't delete the only item in a transaction without supervisor permission.

Harry778

HSC
Wish me luck for tomorrow...fuck. I'm driving her there too, we start at the same time =(

HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

we also get the red screens that tell you when to do pickups.

I'm doing days in smokeshop this week. fricken hate it, except for the practically full time hours I've got.

I have now mastered vf 29 cap without the screens coming up :p.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
The amount/regularity of a clearance depends on how busy you are. You're meant to keep an eye on your till (the register does tell you when a clearance is necessary, but usually it needs doing before the warning appears). Busy periods like Christmas Eve my supervisor was telling everyone to make sure they were doing regular clearances - mentioned to do it like once an hour. Sometimes I don't need to do a clearance until the end of my shift (4hr shifts).
Really? At my store, the supervisor tells me in person to do a pick up and change order. The only time pick ups (or clearances) are done is when there is someone working in the cash office.

I must admit, two things about Coles' POS that annoy me are that you need supervisor permission to suspend sales and that you can't delete the only item in a transaction without supervisor permission.
We need supervisor numbers for QTY, refunds and when voiding a whole transaction. But we can save and recall transactions without a supervisor and void the last item in a transaction, and then clearing it by pressing 'CASH' followed by $0.00. The till then opens and a receipt prints.

My sister is turning 15 and 10 months soon - so she will be the legal working age in Victoria. She wants a job in retail but can't decided whether to work at Woolworths/Safeway, Coles, IGA/Richies or Foodworks. Any advice? I'm not sure I want her working with me....

Harry778

HSC

we also get the red screens that tell you when to do pickups.

I'm doing days in smokeshop this week. fricken hate it, except for the practically full time hours I've got.

I have now mastered vf 29 cap without the screens coming up :p.
WHAAAA? I love smoke shop. It's pretty much my home in that place. My good ol smoke shop! Its probably the best one in Sydney ahah. It might be if the other main girl gets better. She is so stupid. Once she said to me 'are we ment to fill smokes when they're empty'? I just looked at her heaps confused and said 'Sorry'?!?! are you kidding or??? lol.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
void the last item in a transaction, and then clearing it by pressing 'CASH' followed by $0.00. The till then opens and a receipt prints.
OMG! u genius!! that happened to me the other day, a guy had like 2 items but he changed his mind after he saw the price, so i had to start the next transaction with the two voids at the top. the old lady wasnt happy and kept saying 'are you SURE im not being charged for them!' if id thought of that technique it would have saved me alot of hassle!

HSC

WHAAAA? I love smoke shop. It's pretty much my home in that place. My good ol smoke shop! Its probably the best one in Sydney ahah. It might be if the other main girl gets better. She is so stupid. Once she said to me 'are we ment to fill smokes when they're empty'? I just looked at her heaps confused and said 'Sorry'?!?! are you kidding or??? lol.
I don't know what it is about smokeshop that I don't like at the moment, but its annoying me. When I was weekend/thurs night smokeshop op I loved it, and I was really torn between keeping it versus more hours in nontrade (but this is like wayyyy back in the day). I guess at the moment my days are so varied, I never spend a full day as an operator, so having to stay in smokeshop IS annoying. Like there's a bunch of shifts that need covering for thursday, and I was itching to do it all day (because my 2IC wouldn't), but I couldn't.

On unrelated news, the deli assistant that I annoyed majorly on Sunday was bitching to our STM about how bad I was in the tea room today RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Not quite sure if she knew I was there, but still I'm pissed off.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
At my store in QLD, we don't have bags on SCO's, only one bundle sitting on top of the middle one
WTF? How does that work? What do you put in the bagging area? We have plastic bags on EVERY Machine,plus a small stand with green bags beside each machine.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I WISH I got S/S shifts! They'd be so awesome, how can you not like smokeshop shifts? :p

My sister is turning 15 and 10 months soon - so she will be the legal working age in Victoria. She wants a job in retail but can't decided whether to work at Woolworths/Safeway, Coles, IGA/Richies or Foodworks. Any advice? I'm not sure I want her working with me....
Uh the legal age in Victoria is 15, not 15 and 10 months like 3/4 of Victoria thinks lol.

HSC
Like I said, a 7.30-5.30 smokeshop shift means you have to stay there 7.30-5.30 on ONE register. Being either sup or operator is better for me because I end up doing all sorts of stuff (ie cash office 'training' - such a deluded waste of time, bakery RTC's, covering the shifts for thursday that needed to be covered, uh chasing up my insurance paperwork etc).

Smokeshop is just that. Smokeshop.

I guess I liked it beforehand because I was trying really hard to prove that I could possibly be a good supervisor. Now that they know I'm actually a mediocre one smokeshop has no value to me.
Though it is nice to have ZERO responsibility.

PyroTek

HSC
anyone else got a new bag policy at their express registers?

"We don't offer plastic bags anymore etc. etc." with a footnote:

"however, if you would like one, please ask"

:S annoys the shits out of me

HSC
anyone else got a new bag policy at their express registers?

"We don't offer plastic bags anymore etc. etc." with a footnote:

"however, if you would like one, please ask"

:S annoys the shits out of me
wtf? how stupid.

today i was secretely wishing that we would run out of bags (came very close). just so i could have some entertainment...

yeah i was bored today.

PyroTek

HSC
last time we ran out of bags we started giving out green bags.
Anyway, i'm not sure if this is for the area, or the store or what. It is quite annoying to say the least. I'll go look around tomorrow maybe.
Could be from someone in store trying to increase average scan rate, thus, increase checkouts budget?

Craven

HSC
lol, I would be surprised if our full-time smokeshop champion was actually IN the smokeshop :p she's always doing other things (magazines, systems, etc). Is your smokeshop seperate from express? Our is together so she just leaves smokeshop....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)