Timetables? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I've only got eight practicals for chemistry and I don't know how many for physics so I don't think it'll be as bad as last semester.

I might be able to change the practical to a Friday, but the travel time (~3 hours all up) is worse than having the clash...
there's 8 for physics iirc. They have nothing to do with the course either.

Good luck. ^_^

Nah, if you do the worst thing you'll make the best friends. That's from experience.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh USYD recruitor/students ambassador, what's the timetable like for BSc(Adv) ?
Depends on what you choose to major in to be honest.

I can't say that it helps to be doing 5 units of study (because the maths units are worth 3cp) so you're looking at a minimum of 4 days.

kayven

HSC
I want to do for engineering: Mechanical major. For Science I want to major in Mathematics. However, this is first year students... i thought majors do not come about till 2nd year. Could you formulate a time table for me anyway?

Thanks so much!

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I want to do for engineering: Mechanical major. For Science I want to major in Mathematics. However, this is first year students... i thought majors do not come about till 2nd year. Could you formulate a time table for me anyway?

Thanks so much!
B Mechanical Engineering/B Science (Mathematics) @ USyd - Semester One/Two:

Sample Timetable (S1):
ENGG1801 | Lecture: Tue 13.00 and Wed 13.00 | Tutorial: Wed 9.00 - 11.00
MATH1001 | Lecture: Thu 8.00 and Fri 8.00 | Tutorial: Wed 11.00
MATH1002 | Lecture: Mon 8.00 and Tue 8.00 | Tutorial: Wed 15.00
MECH1560 | Lecture: Mon 11.00 | Practical: Fri 13.00 - 17.00 | Tutorial: Fri 11.00
[ CHOOSE ONE SCIENCE UNIT - MATHEMATICS MAJOR ]

Sample Timetable (S2):
AMME1550 | Lecture: Mon 10.00 and Thu 12.00 | Tutorial: Tue 14.00 - 16.00
ENGG1802 | Lecture: Mon 9.00 and Fri 10.00 | Tutorial: Mon 15.00 and Fri 14.00 - 16.00
MATH1003 | Lecture: Thu 8.00 and Fri 8.00 | Tutorial: Mon 12.00
MATH1005 | Lecture: Mon 8.00 and Tue 8.00 | Tutorial: Thu 9.00

For Semester One it seems that it is not worth it to go to university on Thursday and take the day off and for Semester Two you have Wednesday off. ^___^
Not saying you will get these classes as said before it is just a sample and you will have to pick another science unit for each semester so you may not have days off at all.

Also, yes it is true that the science major exclusive units do not start until second year but you are required to complete a set amount of units and a specific set of units in order to enrol into second year and third year unit of studies/meet prerequisite requirements.

Good Luck and All the Best!

EDIT: Don't quote me on this but I heard some mathematics UoS do not have tutorial attendance requirements. =/

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
B Mechanical Engineering/B Science (Mathematics) @ USyd - Semester One/Two:

Sample Timetable (S1):
ENGG1801 | Lecture: Tue 13.00 and Wed 13.00 | Tutorial: Wed 9.00 - 11.00
MATH1001 | Lecture: Thu 8.00 and Fri 8.00 | Tutorial: Wed 11.00
MATH1002 | Lecture: Mon 8.00 and Tue 8.00 | Tutorial: Wed 15.00
MECH1560 | Lecture: Mon 11.00 | Practical: Fri 13.00 - 17.00 | Tutorial: Fri 11.00

Sample Timetable (S2):
AMME1550 | Lecture: Mon 10.00 and Thu 12.00 | Tutorial: Tue 14.00 - 16.00
ENGG1802 | Lecture: Mon 9.00 and Fri 10.00 | Tutorial: Mon 15.00 and Fri 14.00 - 16.00
MATH1003 | Lecture: Thu 8.00 and Fri 8.00 | Tutorial: Mon 12.00
MATH1005 | Lecture: Mon 8.00 and Tue 8.00 | Tutorial: Thu 9.00

For Semester One it seems that it is not worth to go to university on Thursday and take the day off and for Semester Two you have Wednesday off. ^___^
Not saying you will get these classes as said before it is just a sample and you will have to pick another science unit for each semester so you may not have days off at all.

Also, yes it is true that the science major exclusive units do not start until second year but you are required to complete a set amount of units and a specific set of units in order to enrol into second year and third year unit of studies/meet prerequisite requirements.

Good Luck and All the Best!
I'd suggest doing PHYS1001 in semester one so then that'll count towards both your BSc and BE

Unless you want to do something in sem one.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My friend who told me everyone she knows doing advanced science has a horrible timetable (all except 1 have 5 days and theyre at uni for almost the whole day) :(
Thank goodness I'm not commuting then :)

Expect ~23 hours a week over five days. You can probably reduce that to four, with a lecture or two on the day that you don't want to be at uni. Most of the classes I attended were recorded so I took Tuesdays off and just watched them all online.

I strongly recommend that you move your maths tutorials to the END OF THE WEEK. Having quizzes at the start sucks, and you can only complete them in your assigned tute. On non-quiz days you can attend whichever tutorials you want.

Keep in mind:
- Maths tutorials aren't compulsory. Personally, I wouldn't bother unless you're struggling with the material.
- You can do your chem quiz at whatever tutorial you like given it's in the same stream.
Thanks for all the advice Oblivious! I like your idea of moving maths tutorials at end of the week. The hours are like what I expected for this course, unlike my sibling's art course which was like no contact time.

Depends on what you choose to major in to be honest.

I can't say that it helps to be doing 5 units of study (because the maths units are worth 3cp) so you're looking at a minimum of 4 days.
Arr okay :) So if maths are worth 3cp, what are others worth?

So would I be right in understanding that Monday 21 January 2013 I have to go to Sydney in person and like know my subject choices for 1st sem and that? :) There's no way to enrol online or anything. (I don't have a proxy person in Syd or anything).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank goodness I'm not commuting then :)

Thanks for all the advice Oblivious! I like your idea of moving maths tutorials at end of the week. The hours are like what I expected for this course, unlike my sibling's art course which was like no contact time.

Arr okay :) So if maths are worth 3cp, what are others worth?

So would I be right in understanding that Monday 21 January 2013 I have to go to Sydney in person and like know my subject choices for 1st sem and that? :) There's no way to enrol online or anything. (I don't have a proxy person in Syd or anything).
UoS are usually worth 6 CP but first year maths are 3.
Even though the workload for them is about the same as 6CP.

Yep, in person (I met people from like Adelaide) and know your units beforehand (unlike me lol).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
UoS are usually worth 6 CP but first year maths are 3.
Even though the workload for them is about the same as 6CP.

Yep, in person (I met people from like Adelaide) and know your units beforehand (unlike me lol).
Yes, excuse to get to Syd :) And that makes me sad maths is worth 3CP when it's lots of work.

And then back up to Syd on like the 26th to be at O-week :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, excuse to get to Syd :) And that makes me sad maths is worth 3CP when it's lots of work.

And then back up to Syd on like the 26th to be at O-week :)
well, fundies isn't that much work from what I've seen.
Reg is a bit and adv is a bit more. SSP would be terribad but I think it's more CP (not sure).

We should meat up ;)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep definitely a meat-I want to meet some more BoSers :)
We'll probably have a USYD meat at Manning/Hermann's like last time sometime in semester as well.

RE: Units to pick - Get a good idea before you enrol because you can talk to some of the staff there who may help you if you are undecided. Otherwise, you can change what units you are enrolled in online anyway (before the census date which is quite a few weeks after semester starts).

What were you majoring in again?

mike12345678

HSC
how many hours would one be at uni for studying the bachelor of medical science and how many days could i fit that into?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
We'll probably have a USYD meat at Manning/Hermann's like last time sometime in semester as well.

RE: Units to pick - Get a good idea before you enrol because you can talk to some of the staff there who may help you if you are undecided. Otherwise, you can change what units you are enrolled in online anyway (before the census date which is quite a few weeks after semester starts).

What were you majoring in again?
Yay! Remember your promise about shouting me my first drink as a uni student at Manning? Cause I do :p As a recruiter person, I'd say you obvs unconsciously influenced me to USYD at last meat.

And I'm not exactly sure what to major in-something biological and I'm think Molecular Bio and Genetics at the moment :)

k bro

We can probs do something first day of O-Week.

but I'm hoping not to be at USyd next sem. :(
Yay mate :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yay! Remember your promise about shouting me my first drink as a uni student at Manning? Cause I do :p As a recruiter person, I'd say you obvs unconsciously influenced me to USYD at last meat.

And I'm not exactly sure what to major in-something biological and I'm think Molecular Bio and Genetics at the moment :)
Never forget.

Edit: Also, you should be able to double major in that degree so you've got Molec Bio & Genetics and something else if you so desire.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Never forget.

Edit: Also, you should be able to double major in that degree so you've got Molec Bio & Genetics and something else if you so desire.
Yeah i was reading about the potential to double major (one can be done at adv level and other normal level) so it was something I was considering.

And I didn't think you would forget :)

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

Yay mate :)
I was 'planning' on majoring in that as well. I think rippy might have been contemplating something along those lines too.

And then we did MBLG1901.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I was 'planning' on majoring in that as well. I think rippy might have been contemplating something along those lines too.

And then we did MBLG1901.
Wow that's interesting-what did you end up majoring in? (You do BMedSci right?) Rippy does BEng/BMedSci or something atm right and what is he majoring in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)