To 2017 graduates (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
What? Really? I knew mechanical kinda worked like a jack of all trades but I never knew it was that diverse
petro companies will still need other types of engineers, mechanical, electrical, chemical etc

when some circurity breaks in one of their fancy million $ machines, they're gonna call an electrician as opposed to a petro engineer

similary for aerospace. aero engineers probs put the least amount of work in because they just design the plane etc but then you got software engos who write the software, telecomuncation engos who communicate with towers/other planes, chemical engos who deal with the fuel, mechanical engos who deal with maintainence etc etc

captainneuro

HSC
petro companies will still need other types of engineers, mechanical, electrical, chemical etc

when some circurity breaks in one of their fancy million $ machines, they're gonna call an electrician as opposed to a petro engineer

similary for aerospace. aero engineers probs put the least amount of work in because they just design the plane etc but then you got software engos who write the software, telecomuncation engos who communicate with towers/other planes, chemical engos who deal with the fuel, mechanical engos who deal with maintainence etc etc
What's your major in engineering? :p

Last edited:

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad

Ah that's what you meant yeah but that wouldn't really mean mechanical engineers would be able to completely carry out the same functions as a petroleum engineer say in terms of creating petroleum extracting technology or knowing how to create infrastructure like a civil engineer

Edit: Sorry just realised you said I'd work in the same industry but I guess ill still be taking the latter degree anyways cause the more the merrier ^^

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah that's what you meant yeah but that wouldn't really mean mechanical engineers would be able to completely carry out the same functions as a petroleum engineer say in terms of creating petroleum extracting technology or knowing how to create infrastructure like a civil engineer

Edit: Sorry just realised you said I'd work in the same industry but I guess ill still be taking the latter degree anyways cause the more the merrier ^^
yeah basically Im saying you're gonna be working with a lot of differernt engineers doing different things on the same projects

ShootingDuck

HSC
Electrical engineering @ UTS. Was considering mechanical but I think I'd prefer electrical. Biomedical was also another option I was considering, but looking online, it seems there are next to no jobs in that field.

I'm fairly confident that I can get in since last year's cut off is relatively low; unless english standard completely destroys my atar. I'm just concerned whether or not I get a good enough atar for a scholarship. Hopefully I do.

captainneuro

HSC
Electrical engineering @ UTS. Was considering mechanical but I think I'd prefer electrical. Biomedical was also another option I was considering, but looking online, it seems there are next to no jobs in that field.

I'm fairly confident that I can get in since last year's cut off is relatively low; unless english standard completely destroys my atar. I'm just concerned whether or not I get a good enough atar for a scholarship. Hopefully I do.
UTS seems a bit of an ease for you judging from your atar est, why not UNSW? :confused2: UNSW's guaranteed entry of 92 wouldn't be a problem for you either.. or do you just prefer UTS?

ShootingDuck

HSC
UTS seems a bit of an ease for you judging from your atar est, why not UNSW? :confused2: UNSW's guaranteed entry of 92 wouldn't be a problem for you either.. or do you just prefer UTS?
There are a number of reasons why UTS is my preference even though UNSW is the "go to uni" for engineering.

The main reasons why include it being easier to get a scholarship. Since most people would be going to UNSW for engineering, I would have a higher chance of getting a scholarship. The other one being a lot less stress. I didn't want to put too much pressure on myself studying in order to get the highest atar I can possibly get.

Of course I did try my best, but it did help me study and take all the test without too much stress knowing I can get into my desired course even if I don't do as well as I hoped. I've seen one of my friends panic a lot about getting his desired atar, and I didn't want to be like that.

From what I've researched, there's no real benefit for me choosing UNSW over UTS. Honestly it doesn't really bother me too much which uni I go to, as long as I can graduate with a degree and hopefully get a good job.

silverdawn565

HSC

I really hope Standard English doesn't destroy my ATAR either. I never caught on up to the required level for essay writing but i'd like to think I at least answered the questions. (Pre-prepared essays? Good or bad? I couldn't memorise a whole essay so just did a few quotes and techniques and wrote the essay from scratch on the day.) But I felt I did bad in both English and Physics. But as long as I get a 80+ ATAR I'll be happy.

There are a number of reasons why UTS is my preference even though UNSW is the "go to uni" for engineering.

The main reasons why include it being easier to get a scholarship. Since most people would be going to UNSW for engineering, I would have a higher chance of getting a scholarship. The other one being a lot less stress. I didn't want to put too much pressure on myself studying in order to get the highest atar I can possibly get.

Of course I did try my best, but it did help me study and take all the test without too much stress knowing I can get into my desired course even if I don't do as well as I hoped. I've seen one of my friends panic a lot about getting his desired atar, and I didn't want to be like that.

From what I've researched, there's no real benefit for me choosing UNSW over UTS. Honestly it doesn't really bother me too much which uni I go to, as long as I can graduate with a degree and hopefully get a good job.
Well way better to not stress yourself to your limit. I think being calm results in a better performance anyway. And pretty much I'm just heading to my local Uni. I couldn't see too big a deal in going to Uni's in Sydney, etc. where it costs so much for accommodation and I'm likely to be more stressed about getting enough shifts than the actual study. I mean I considered UTS and two academies (aie and ait). But a degree is a degree. Too bad I won't get to meet all the awesome people at UNSW! (UTS, etc.)

Last edited:

captainneuro

HSC
I really hope Standard English doesn't destroy my ATAR either. I never caught on up to the required level for essay writing but i'd like to think I at least answered the questions. (Pre-prepared essays? Good or bad? I couldn't memorise a whole essay so just did a few quotes and techniques and wrote the essay from scratch on the day.) But I felt I did bad in both English and Physics. But as long as I get a 80+ ATAR I'll be happy.

Well way better to not stress yourself to your limit. I think being calm results in a better performance anyway. And pretty much I'm just heading to my local Uni. I couldn't see too big a deal in going to Uni's in Sydney, etc. where it costs so much for accommodation and I'm likely to be more stressed about getting enough shifts than the actual study. I mean I considered UTS and two academies (aie and ait). But a degree is a degree. Too bad I won't get to meet all the awesome people at UNSW! (UTS, etc.)
Newcastle uni is still heaps good, doesn't really make much of a difference anyway. :)

Last edited:

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Hmm..I feel like as if I'm the only one considering to go interstate lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)