To 2017 graduates (2 Viewers)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Dual degree in, Advanced Science/Engineering where I triple major in physics, mathematics and aeronautical engineering at UNSW, if all goes well.
lol nice I'm currently doing advanced science too major in Chemistry, minor in physics, at unsw, might see you :)

joshman94

HSC
Mainly cause there is an apparent good pay that comes with it which probably happens when there is really high demand for petroleum but also because I have a general interest in studying about petroleum based off of HSC chemistry. I would've chosen Mechanical/Civil or Mechanical/Mining however I couldn't find those degrees as options on the UNSW site. I'm also pretty sure its a lot more hands on work compared to the other engineering disciplines which is something I also like
If you want to be able to go in to both mining and petroleum you could consider chemical engineering. Chemical engineers are able to apply to the same roles as petros (drilling and completions, reservoir, MIC, process) as well as being able to apply in mines as a metallurgist/process engineer. There's also a fair number of other industries that aren't mining and resources you can fall back on (water, environment, manufacturing). I'd honestly advise against petro because it really limits your options and it's extremely competitive for the little amount of jobs there are. If you look at Woodside's graduate discipline list there are more jobs open to chemical engineers than petros. I work in mining as a metallurgist and the job market is really starting to look good, a lot of places are hiring and there a few mines starting up in base metals and things like lithium. A lot of mining majors have increased their exploration too which is a good sign (Gold Fields, Rio and FMG).

http://www.woodside.com.au/Careers/...ide Graduate Roles Degree Discipline 2017.pdf

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to be able to go in to both mining and petroleum you could consider chemical engineering. Chemical engineers are able to apply to the same roles as petros (drilling and completions, reservoir, MIC, process) as well as being able to apply in mines as a metallurgist/process engineer. There's also a fair number of other industries that aren't mining and resources you can fall back on (water, environment, manufacturing). I'd honestly advise against petro because it really limits your options and it's extremely competitive for the little amount of jobs there are. If you look at Woodside's graduate discipline list there are more jobs open to chemical engineers than petros. I work in mining as a metallurgist and the job market is really starting to look good, a lot of places are hiring and there a few mines starting up in base metals and things like lithium. A lot of mining majors have increased their exploration too which is a good sign (Gold Fields, Rio and FMG).

http://www.woodside.com.au/Careers/...ide Graduate Roles Degree Discipline 2017.pdf
Well I considered that and at the time I'd found that chemical engineering had the worst job prospects, at least according to clementinez's post last year in this thread: Petroleum engineering. Of course this could be simply due to the bust and boom cycle of engineering and in the next four years or so I wouldn't be too sure if chemical engineering would bust again so after a while of thinking (about my decision of mechanical/petroleum) I reconsidered my options and decided to opt for electrical engineering since although it may also possibly have bust and boom cycles it wouldn't be as large as e.g. mining. Also because I have converted to becoming a faithful human to the environment who wants to develop renewables, and the reason why I didn't choose to rather opt for renewable engineering rather than electrical engineering is simply because I don't want to enter a niche degree which will limit my employability in any of the other fields of work electrical engineering may have to offer.

But thanks for your advise I was quite uncertain whether petroleum engineering would be the right choice

joshman94

HSC
Well I considered that and at the time I'd found that chemical engineering had the worst job prospects, at least according to clementinez's post last year in this thread: Petroleum engineering. Of course this could be simply due to the bust and boom cycle of engineering and in the next four years or so I wouldn't be too sure if chemical engineering would bust again so after a while of thinking (about my decision of mechanical/petroleum) I reconsidered my options and decided to opt for electrical engineering since although it may also possibly have bust and boom cycles it wouldn't be as large as e.g. mining. Also because I have converted to becoming a faithful human to the environment who wants to develop renewables, and the reason why I didn't choose to rather opt for renewable engineering rather than electrical engineering is simply because I don't want to enter a niche degree which will limit my employability in any of the other fields of work electrical engineering may have to offer.

But thanks for your advise I was quite uncertain whether petroleum engineering would be the right choice
It's not as bad as it's made out to be, a large majority of people in my class found jobs as a chem engineer. Electrical engineer sounds like a good choice for you and hopefully renewables will have nice job prospects in a few years time, you can also work in petro/mining sites as an EE so that options available come grad application time.

However you wouldn't be doing pure electrical stuff in mining/O&G, usually more overseeing control systems and doing mods to PLCs, SCADA and DCS systems. Similar for O&G you have instrumentation, DCS and shutdown systems. Most major capital upgrades and projects like on the switchgears or generators are usually done by consulting companies and not site engineers.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not as bad as it's made out to be, a large majority of people in my class found jobs as a chem engineer. Electrical engineer sounds like a good choice for you and hopefully renewables will have nice job prospects in a few years time, you can also work in petro/mining sites as an EE so that options available come grad application time.

However you wouldn't be doing pure electrical stuff in mining/O&G, usually more overseeing control systems and doing mods to PLCs, SCADA and DCS systems. Similar for O&G you have instrumentation, DCS and shutdown systems. Most major capital upgrades and projects like on the switchgears or generators are usually done by consulting companies and not site engineers.
So I'd pretty much be mainly focusing on monitoring, controlling and modifying in O&G? Thats alright I guess but what do you mean by switchgears and generators being done by consulting companies and not site engineers? Are you saying that they are both done by electrical engineers but I would have to work for a consulting company if I want to work on those types of projects?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)