travelling to unsw (1 Viewer)

gman03

HSC
If you want to go to UNSW, don't let travel put you off.

Just find something to do on the train, or sleep :)

I do a lot of work on train, and the time feel so short, i wish the train takes longer time so I could finish off the paragraph :(

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
I hate travelling. That being said, I have to go to the city if I want to go to any of the three major uni's, and the bus ride isn't a big deal once I get to central.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
A long commute isn't that bad. I mean it sucks waking up early but it's possible to get a decent nap on the train, or do uni reading (my train ride is the only reason I always have my readings done).

I have a 15 minute drive to the station, 45-60 minute train ride, 20 minute walk to usyd. Just make sure your ipod is charged and your bag is full of reading material and the trip is fine.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
I also live in the hills district. Travel time isn't too much of an issue I'd have to say. So don't let that weigh upon your decision.

If Im lucky I usually can get to the city within half an hour or so, then add 10-15 minutes bus travel to UNSW.

Lmao a friend of mine live in the Blue Mountains, imagine that!!! Their trains don't even come that often to central, so that means even extra waiting :p

xxxx8888

HSC
same. i do the 1.5 hr journey to and from.

i make sure i always have 3 day weeks, and if it wasn't for that tute on on each of the 3 days, i'd probably turn up to 2 days.

THE TRAVELLING IS SO BAD.

9 hr travel/week

=

252 hrs/year (2 semesters)

=

756 hrs/degree

= 31.5 days

that's a month of your life gone. and that's only a 3 day week.

lol ok it's not that bad. just have your ipod with you on the train. or do your readings if you're really into it.

omg if i calculate how much $$$ goes into it...

wind

HSC
Some people have it too easy lol

Complaining about 3 (possibly 2) days a week...tsk tsk lol

Last edited:

miss-smexy

HSC
Oh me too! I was just about to post the same thread XD

I wanna go to unsw for commerce/law but it seems so far away. Maybe Macq is better because then I wouldn't need to travel so far... =S

Last edited:
HSC
u get used 2 the travel, where i am is RIGHT inbetween wollongong and unsw, but i chose unsw because honestly 40min drive isnt that bad!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
After going to both UNSW and Macquarie uni during the open days back when I did the HSC. I found macquarie to be severely limited in terms of its space, library (compared to UNSW's 13-leveled library), and food outlets.

But then again for Commerce all you need is a lecturer and a table for you to write stuff on. But the economics division at UNSW isn't too bad...

passion89

HSC
I live in Liverpool and it takes 1.5-2 hours to get to uni everyday...that's about 3.5 hours travel total every day.

At first, it was annoying but you do get used to it.

It's not too bad now... if worse comes to worst, it'd give you an excuse to move out of home :)

Pace_T

HSC
passion89 said:
I live in Liverpool and it takes 1.5-2 hours to get to uni everyday...that's about 3.5 hours travel total every day.

At first, it was annoying but you do get used to it.

It's not too bad now... if worse comes to worst, it'd give you an excuse to move out of home :)
ohhh someone else from livo!!!!
i use to go by bus (to livo station) then train and bus again. 2 to 2 and a half hours it took me. EACH WAY :eek:
but now i drive. i absolutely love it, its less than an hour drive n doesnt feel long at all. and thats an extra 3 hrs a day i could be doing something else other than sit in a stinky train
livo is a good place to be if u go to unsw. u have canterbury road m5 and southern cross drive which take you straight there. on average it takes 40 mins.
what i sometimes do is carpool as well, makes life so much easier as well :)

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I travel from the hills district which takes 1.5-2 hours each way. Over time you just get used to it.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
it takes me 1.5-2 hrs to get to unsw so that can be up to 4 hours of transport each day (i have 5 days...). you do get used to it but its just annoying.

kloudsurfer

HSC
It would take me at least 2 hours.

I think if I get in id rather just go live on campus...

cuppy

HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
It would take me at least 2 hours.

I think if I get in id rather just go live on campus...

esp if you live at narellan! since its not really close to any train stations.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
make the right choice. just go to the lectures to trial out the unis and also see the social scenes yourself.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
passion89 said:
I live in Liverpool and it takes 1.5-2 hours to get to uni everyday...that's about 3.5 hours travel total every day.......

^ - Hey dragie! hahaha, we still need to catch UP ok? LOL. i'll see u on facebook.

Now back to this topic at hand, I'm studying Commerce/Arts @ UNSW, with a major in French in my Arts - and seriously, although it probably ain't "as good as the languages @ usyd", it really isn't that much worse. Because, if you think about it, they're both the more prestigious &etc universities in the country, so there isn't going to be that much difference. Plus, from my experience, the tutors aren't bad at all - it depends on who you get, and having said that - that is true for all subjects.

Second, I live on the Northern Beaches so basically, it takes 1.5-2hrs max for me ONE WAY to get to UNSW (which is a trek definitely at first, but you really do get used to - just like with most things), so it really isn't an issue. And trains are faster also - PLUS, since you live in the hills district, don't you just go directly to Central? And then hop on a direct UNSW bus = 256928652984 x easier than my route. Cos we have no train lines, so I have to bus it to wynyard and then (slowly) bus it from elizabeth st. And also, if you think about the time spend on public transport as a "loss of time", just multi-task and do your tute hw/readings on the bus/trains, it works out.

Thirdly, doing a comm/arts degree here - 4 full days at uni would be the MOST you would need, trust me. Before I started a P/T job in the beginning of semester 2, I worked out my timetable to fit around 2 full days - that is slightly hectic, but it is do-able. So it depends on your levels of concentration. Otherwise, 3 days is the norm. For example, I've just finished organising my timetable for first semester in 2008, and i've got mon,tue & thur (average 10am starts - 5pm finishes, taking into account my extra-curicular activities, other involvements etc at uni - so really it could be less...) and then i will work full days on Wed and Fri. And, as the commerce offerings are really quite flexible @ unsw, there is (nearly) always a way to make a kick-ass timetable. The only thing that would kill you in terms of that, would be the time offerings for Arts, but that depends on what you're considering to study...

Hope that helps!

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Oh and also from personal experience (and much angst)....

Commerce @ unsw is awesome (I have a friend who did Commerce at USYD and then transferred over to do comm/law at unsw and he claims, like many others, that it indeed kicks so much more ass). haha

Also, definitely go to the open days again in January for both uni's (hopefully they won't fall on the same day.... although they probably will?) - because i ended up having this huge dilemma in regards to choosing which uni ? Because i loved the USYD social scene, buildings, atmosphere and arts component. Whereas, I knew that Commerce @ UNSW would be much more superior (as claimed also by my former careers advisor), and so basically I didn't know what to do?

Anyway, cutting the story short - if you're still not sure about which university, make sure you work out that what you want out of your degree is available at the university that you choose. So, in my case, I really wanted to be able to do a Double Major in both my Commerce AND Arts, and I wasn't 100% sure if that was possible at either Uni's so I phoned them up. Luckily I did, 'cos I found out that the way the degree works @ USYD, there aren't enough UOC to do a double major in your Commerce? So, basically my decision was chosen for me - so just a tip!

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi kokodamonkey,

I'm in the same situation as you in terms of travel. I'm mainly considering Macq or UNSW and frankly, I don't really care about travel anymore at this point in time - because UNSW has a better reputation for law! I am going to have a 'field trip' day to UNSW by bus/train and see how I like it and if I'll be able to cope! Lol

How long does it take to travel from beecroft station to central??

Would it be faster taking a direct bus from castle towers to central?

edit/ LOL i forgot that I posted on this same thread ages ago... hahah anyway can i just drive to unsw? Is parking hard? Would it take longer than taking public transport?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)