tutorials (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lol ... a computing student didn't know you could do that. Thats gotta be the days entertainment! :rolleyes:

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
I got a question about tutorials and lectures!
What happens if we miss one? I might need to miss out on two lectures in one day during the second week (the first of tutorials), but im planning on coming to the morning tute anyway just because its the first week of tutes. But i dont know what to do for the lecture

Jacks

HSC
if you miss a lecture sometimes a lecturer will put notes on webCT if your unit has a page there, otherwise the only thing you can do is borrow someone elses notes, or e-mail the lecturer and ask if they have any notes...don't worry heaps of people miss lectures...the content of a lecture is covered in a tute and the tute is the important thing for you to attend...although if you can you really should go to both.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Okay, thanks Jacks. It's just that im going to a concert that night and my friend reallllyyy wants to go early so we can snatch a good spot on the dancefloor, so unless we find someone else who would go early with her, she really wouldnt wait alone..and then would hold me responsible if we ended up with a crappy spot. *sigh*

Jacks

HSC
hehe that's all good, if you're attending the tute before the lecture (I'm assuming it's on?) you may meet someone in there who is willing to take notes and let you borrow them. You'll have to check if you'll be having the tute before the first week as some units do not run the first weeks tute if they are before the lecture as tutes are really there to discuss what happens in lectures...unless they will just use it as a introductory thing. If unit outlines are given out while you're not there you can get one the following week, or may also be able to find that on WebCT...it's not a big deal, though your lecturer and tutor wouldn't recommend you miss their lessons and classes to go to concerts regularly :p

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
LOL im sure they won't =S i missed school about 4 times in the last 2 years for concerts =] i wont do it anymore in uni!

klh

HSC
ofcourse if you read the chapter that they assign you to do, then why go to the lecture? it basically the same thing but the lecture is summarised or put into words oyu understand and some more points you might need to know.
of course beware of notes that have missing points in them, tries to catch students out form not going to lectures. usually happens in units that dont have a high count in attendance.
but what Jacks said is right, go to the lecturer, they are usually very considerate and will help.

candi_licious

okay i dont know whether this has been covered in other threads, but i was wondering if you's recomment to have a tutorial right after the lecture, or whether i should wait like an hour, or even a day?? arghh so confused i dont know..

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
candilish3z said:
okay i dont know whether this has been covered in other threads, but i was wondering if you's recomment to have a tutorial right after the lecture, or whether i should wait like an hour, or even a day?? arghh so confused i dont know..
You can have a tutorial straight after a lecture, lectures usually finish before the suggested time. And tutorials usually start about 5 minutes after the suggested time, so you have plently of time to get between the lecture and tutorial. If you want to have a break you can, but depending what campus your on, it could become very boring. You can also wait a day if needed if you want. Its completely up to you what you want.

Jacks

HSC
like cape said it's up to you,and I suppose it depends on the rest of your timetable. The tutprials straight after the lecture tend to be the most popular ones though...personally I go for those because what's said in the lecture is fresh in my mind for the tutorial. The same day is usually better, I find, than waiting until another day so you know what you're doing and all that sort of thing. Again it depends on what days and hours you'll be at uni for your other subject and it's also a personal choice. Whichever you attend is fine, so you just need to decide which you think would be best for you, all things considered. :)

candi_licious

hey thanks heapz cape and jacks, ohh another question, for tutorial registration, do they usually fill up like in the first 30mins they are open and the ones that noone wants are left? because i have to work on the day that one of my tutorial registration and i dont want to be stuck with a crappy tute that is like 5hours after the lecture...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
It depends if its a popular tut and what subject its for and how many people are there. Mine last year didn't fill up for about 2 hours, but the subjects weren't popular. And if you don't get the tut, just rock up to which ever one you want on the first day and they will generally let you in.

michelleanne

HSC
candilish3z said:
hey thanks heapz cape and jacks, ohh another question, for tutorial registration, do they usually fill up like in the first 30mins they are open and the ones that noone wants are left? because i have to work on the day that one of my tutorial registration and i dont want to be stuck with a crappy tute that is like 5hours after the lecture...
Tutorials that are on the same day as the lecture and close to the lecture time (eithier before or after the lecture) tend to go first. It does get annoying when you have three or four hours between the lecture and tutorial trust me...... you could always get someone to do it for you........ or just go in late to work...

however, there are some people in the first week that go and protest to the lecturer that they need an earlier tut... in some cases its granted but usually not.... the most popular tuts go in about 20 minutes...

to beat the delays... log into platform web and tut registrations 20min before opening time and that means you are in... keep on refreshing every now and again.... i know is says not to refresh but it does make life easier...

Jacks

HSC
cape's right...my subject tutes fill extremely fast, usually starting with the tute straight after the lecture and continuing on to the later tutes etc. Though if you don't get in to the one you want, it is worth showing up to the one you prefer to see if they can squeeze you in. Usually, and this was the case for all my subjects last year there were a lot of people who didn't make it into any of the tutes, so they had to be accommodated for somewhere. It's worth a try because you really can't help having to work. So my advice is to check as soon as you can after you get home and if the ones you want are full see what you can manage first week, usually they are pretty nice with helping you sort something out.

klh

HSC
i hate tute rego.
my first tute rego was a disaster, i was sitting behind the screen for at least 30 mins before the site let me sign in and i just got the last spot in my programming tute. i found out that you should sign in about 10 mins to the time it says on the site so that the thing shows up and you can register without delays. Refreshing will benefit you but not other poepel who are trying to log in, which is what the frustrated operator told me. strains the computer system and stops others logging in. if oyu are going to do the refresh method, do it at 3-4 min intervals and not ongoing.

Jacks

HSC
I agree with that...refreshing is what causes a lot of the slowness with logging in etc, since it does put a lot of strain on the system. It really does not benefit other people, and personally I think if you log in just a little but early you'll be able to get on before the rush, as long as you don't log on too early and your session times out. Refreshing a lot of the time doesn't work, and may even be slower. If no one refreshed you wouldn't have to refresh at all, as pages would load fast enough on their own. If you really can't control the urge I second what klh said...do not refresh continuously...it could cause all sorts of problems that will disadvantage other people, or perhaps even yourself. :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I've only had to do tut rego once. I got in straight away and didn't have to refresh :p thats what I get for not doing popular subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)