UAI Scaling: Advice from a 2003 Student (2 Viewers)

Leanne

HSC
yeah- my subjects were wat i enjoyed and was good at......not for scaling purposes!! i figured- if i liked the subjects- i'd WANT to put the hard work in...however if i did maths or sciences that didnt interest me in the least- i wouldnt do as well....thus getting a low mark and even wiv scaling end up wiv a shit uai....

so i'm happy wiv wat i got- cos i no that i enjoyed the 2 years of my life doing subjects that i enjoyed......

btw- i think it is crappy that journalism for e.g has a high uai cut-oof (96 ish) when the only thing you need is to have done advanced english....however- there is no way u can get such a good mark without doing any maths or sciences, which would be totally irrevelent to a journalist....unless they're a science or financial writer...................me on the other hand- 4 unit english and got no where near the cut off...when i could probably do as good or even better than some who choose to do the course at uni......

ummm...sorry bout that!! hehehehe :p

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I wouldn't ask my opinion or take it to heart, but I'd say you're fcuked 'Not-that-Bright"

yeah, my sister wanted to do journalism, and she got in litterally by 0.1 of a uai mark and yet, she in her second year was asked to do honours and is the dux of her class of god knows how many. Goes to show that the scaling means sh*t all.
(She's now working at the courier mail and graduating next week)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Not-That-Bright
i only want a uai of 80, i picked english adv, art, software, ipt, business - am i fucked?
No. Far from it. :)

Mike85

Originally posted by Leanne

btw- i think it is crappy that journalism for e.g has a high uai cut-oof (96 ish) when the only thing you need is to have done advanced english....however- there is no way u can get such a good mark without doing any maths or sciences, which would be totally irrevelent to a journalist....unless they're a science or financial writer...................me on the other hand- 4 unit english and got no where near the cut off...when i could probably do as good or even better than some who choose to do the course at uni......

[/B]
What you claim about Journalism and having to do maths and science to get the required UAI is complete crap. I didn't do maths or science, I did 4u English just like you and got well above the required UAI for Journalism at UTS this year (which, btw, actually went down from 96.3 in 2003 to 94.7). I agree that just because you don't make the course does not mean you're not good enough. None the less, that's how the system works, and so those who are highly motivated, passionate, and determined to gain entry work hard and get in.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
i chose subz that were to my strength, but they were all crap scaling...adv eng, eco, biz, 2URE, G maths
How can gmaths be a strength? its a subject you choose when maths ISNT your strength...

Toby

hmm..
Originally posted by santaslayer
i chose subz that were to my strength, but they were all crap scaling...adv eng, eco, biz, 2URE, G maths
English Adv and eco scale very well :)

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
The system is actually very fair or as fair as it can possibly be at this present time.

The Board Of Studies encourages students to pick subjects they enjoy and can perform well in to prepare themselves for tertiary studies.

In your case MissMcBeth, I guess your subject selection could of gone through some re-doing if you knew you wouldn't perform that great. Because any subject combination is possible to attain a high UAI.

It's not the HSC system at fault, it's extremely fair - state wise.

Yeah that's true, i mean you can't blame subjects, go take a look at my subs in my profile, the only highest scaling subject was mathematics, and yet i still obtained a decent UAI, and the rest of my subjects were suckers at scaling, but because i enjoyed them it enabled me to obtain good marks and thus a good UAI.

Leanne

HSC
this subject is pissing me off now!

lets just say- those who got an extremely good uai are fine with the scaling system, while those who aren't satisfied think the system is crap...

btw- some ppl can work their arses off all yr and still get a crappy mark....so can u all stop saying that all hard work pays off.....theres no use working ur butt off all year if u've never gone well under the pressure of exams......like some ppl do....

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by skypryn
How can gmaths be a strength? its a subject you choose when maths ISNT your strength...
lol...okay lemme rephrase that.....all the other subz were calculated with the exception of g maths:p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
No. Far from it. :)
Thanks man, heaps of people have been telling me im fucked, but i get like 85-high90's in most of those subjects, if i just keep those sorta efforts up i should be able to eh?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
lets just say- those who got an extremely good uai are fine with the scaling system, while those who aren't satisfied think the system is crap...
In many instances, that's very true..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Tell us exactly what you're experiencing difficulties with. :)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
ok im doing my history assessment task and its like doing ones nails, going thru each sentence thoroughly so it sounds ok....arghh

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
this subject is pissing me off now!

btw- some ppl can work their arses off all yr and still get a crappy mark....so can u all stop saying that all hard work pays off.....theres no use working ur butt off all year if u've never gone well under the pressure of exams......like some ppl do....

hard work only pays off if u like the subject, study smart *not necessarily the hours* and have good teachers

Brooke87

BY reading this i am now really really worried.}
I dropped out in year 11 last year. I felt obligated to choose science units and etension maths to do well in my HSC and get a great UAI. This became very overbearing and i worked myself into being way to stress and didnt cope at all thus by around the end of term 2 i left school.
That was probably the worst thing i could have ever done. If i had of know what i know now. I would have then concentrated less on what subjects will "boost my uai" and more about what subjects could i benifit from and maybe a few that could bea challenge.
I am now back at school and doing;
Advanced English
Advanced MAths
1U Studies of Religion
Chemistry
PDHPE &
CAFS.
I am so comfortable with these subjects and im sure that if i do the best that i can i will be proud with any result.

IF YOU WORK HARD YOU CAN ACHIEVE ANYTHING YOU WANT, JUST DONT TAKE ON THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)