UAI Scaling: Advice from a 2003 Student (1 Viewer)

HSC
Originally posted by Skywalker
Hmm that's not entirely true. To get 100 last year you needed an average scaled mark of 97.12 per 2u subject.

If you did: Standard English, general math, engineering, IPT and PDHPE and came first in state for every subject, your aggregate would still not be enough to get you 100.
OH NO :eek: I DO IPT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!! and i need to get a uai over 95 or maybe a 98 since the cutoffs increases. but then again food tech also scales really really bad and this girl who didn't do any extensions or high scaling subjects and got a UAI of 99.4 and she's also the dux.

santaslayer

HSC
1) u dont need extension to get 100.00
2) any combination of subz could get u a uai over 95, depending on the year and the calibre
3) and yes, ipt does suck.......too much work for too klittle reward, but if u persist and try hard, then u should reap the benifits...

Canoodle

Loves it
HSC
i didnt do ridiculous ext's and i did some of the so called 'non-academic subjects'

ie: i did:

2u maths (did not count in my UAI calculation)
Adv English
Visual Art
PDHPE
Senior Science
Biology

and i managed 95+

i think uai resuklt has alot to do with how one performs as an individual rather that the whole canditure for that one subject.

ie. if u get a b6s in a 'non academic' subjects i dont think ur affected by the general trend of results for that one subject.

so just blitz the subjects u choose whether they be 'nerdy' or 'bludges'....

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
yes, but you did Biology and Science so therefore my point is a fact.
I agree - the uai doesn't count on the subjects, more or less how you went...but there is a scaling down/up thing and when I looked at my subject scales it was bad.

This is a yes and no argument

Affinity

HSC
Q:Why do some subjects get sh*t scaling?
A:With some subjects, more people get high marks, so a mark of say 80 in that subject could mean the person is in the bottom half of the that group. While in some other subjects where the marking is tough, 80 could well mean the person is in the top 10% of the group. And this is one of the major reasons why one 80 mark is better than another 80.

UAI is competitive, to get a good UAI, You need to choose those subjects where you are better than others at. Getting 80s or even 90s means nothing when others also get the same mark.

Last edited:

69^boi

HSC
N/A
One Best Adive : do subjects you enjoy and do them well beside doing those subjects just out of purely the ''high scaling factor''.

HSC
general maths
english standard
chemistry ( i love this subject)
software design and development
information technology
business studies

im in the safe zone?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
general maths
english standard
chemistry ( i love this subject)
software design and development
information technology
business studies

im in the safe zone?
woah this is an old thread. No subjects you can pick will put you in the safe zone. If you could, everyone would pick them. Most important thing is to pick the subjects that you think you will do best in

HSC
my only weakness is business and english, the rest i enjoy, im just trying to tie loose ends to fix up myself in all my subjects, if i cant handle that then i have too drop one :uhhuh:

69^boi

HSC
N/A
sadly i pick the subjects just for high scaling...i am considering to repeat again.
and dont listen to your friend, make your own choice, i mean this is your last 2 yrs damm it make da most of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)