umat/ medicine at Newcastle (1 Viewer)

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
I'm absolutely DESPERATE to get into medicine... especially at Newie. I adore it. I'm currently in Yr 11, but I have been a visitor in operating theatres and doctor's surgeries since i was 14 - and luckily, i guess, i'm a "people person". Does this mean empathetic and compassionate?? What are the kind of questions they ask in the interview? Also, I live on the north coast and am considered to be in a "rural zone", i was told that would give my an extra 4 points towards my uai to get into medicine - is that true? In a strange way, the current Aust. health crisis should benefit us, because the uai should continue to b driven down... welll i'l keep my fingers crossed on that one!!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
m111 said:
Also, I live on the north coast and am considered to be in a "rural zone", i was told that would give my an extra 4 points towards my uai to get into medicine - is that true?
yeh you are considered rural, but so is everyone from taree to the central coast so dont count on that getting you in.. also i dunno if youre allowed to use those points towards medicine or other high uai degrees

good luck

sj

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
m111 said:
i was told that would give my an extra 4 points towards my uai to get into medicine - is that true?
Nope, it doesn't count towards double degrees, law, or medicine.

jessum

HSC
hmm ok so i got my umat stuff back, and my percentiles like 260 all added up.. but which one do they place more emphasis on??
coz i got like 70 in section 3 and 96 and 95 in 1 and 2.. so i guess im stuffed if they like section 3
i really dont know and im heaps worried coz i really really really want newcastle, and ive already gotten rejected from unsw, so grrrr this is my last chance in nsw coz i really dont want to move. stupid stupid.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
getting 70 something in any section isn't exactly "stuffing" it up. I think you did very well. Not brilliant [compared to those guns that got 290+], but still very good. You should most likely get an interview, just get back to studying. Get the highest UAI you can get so as you keep your options open.
I know this sounds condescending, but there's always next year (this is coming from someone in 2 year uni, trying newcastle for 3rd time). Umat is over, interviews are based on your UMAT scores. So nothing you can do about it, just sit back and go with the flow :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Bob.J said:
I know this sounds condescending, but there's always next year (this is coming from someone in 2 year uni, trying newcastle for 3rd time).
How old are you going to be by the time you finish the Medicine Degree, if you get into Medicine next year:eek:!

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
We have a 60 year old woman in first year of our course...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
we hav a 30 year old.. but we dun take ppl with a previous or started a degree :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Merethrond said:
How old are you going to be by the time you finish the Medicine Degree, if you get into Medicine next year:eek:!
It's funny you ask that. Here in the "West" people often say they want to see a "young" doctor, because they'll have more up to date knowledge, as well as a more moderate, understanding and tolerant stance regarding modern issues (recreational drug use, casual sex, etc). They don't feel like your father/mother, someone who'll scold you for immoral behaviour, but rather an equal you can share anything with.

But I read in the "East" (eg Japan) the preference lies with older doctors for their patience, experience and typically easygoing, paternal nature. After all, would you sue the PBS doctor on TV? Does he look like someone who'd screw up your vasectomy, or does he have enough experience to get it right? :)

Older doctors are cool too.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh that reminds me, I read an article some months back about how older women (say middle-aged mothers with grown-or-growing-up kids) are making far better nursing students (and subsequently nurses) than their younger peers because they have more patience towards patients. This is said to be an effect of their experiences in the demanding atmosphere created by bringing up children (often several).

What do you guys think? Would your mother make a good nurse?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
im turning 20 next year so it'll be 24 when i've finished the med course (thats if i do it at UNCLE from next year)

forgot to quote but this was in reply to Merethrond

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Lexicographer said:
It's funny you ask that. Here in the "West" people often say they want to see a "young" doctor, because they'll have more up to date knowledge, as well as a more moderate, understanding and tolerant stance regarding modern issues (recreational drug use, casual sex, etc). They don't feel like your father/mother, someone who'll scold you for immoral behaviour, but rather an equal you can share anything with.

But I read in the "East" (eg Japan) the preference lies with older doctors for their patience, experience and typically easygoing, paternal nature. After all, would you sue the PBS doctor on TV? Does he look like someone who'd screw up your vasectomy, or does he have enough experience to get it right? :)

Older doctors are cool too.
Hmm, I didn't mean to say that old doctors are bad, what I meant was that he is waisting a lot of time going to University doing a different dgreee:).

Lexicographer said:
What do you guys think? Would your mother make a good nurse?
Good point, and fair enough:).

Bob.J said:
im turning 20 next year so it'll be 25 when i've finished the med course (thats if i do it at UNCLE from next year)
Oh, that is not too old then. Good luck:).

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Merethrond said:
Hmm, I didn't mean to say that old doctors are bad, what I meant was that he is waisting a lot of time going to University doing a different dgreee:).

Well i don't see the harm in learning a little extra stuff. In the big picture a few more years at uni can't hurt. It'll give us all a little more perspective eh?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
surprisingly our concern isnt their learnin..
most of the younger med students consider that their want to learn is good..
but if they takes a HECS place.. thats 4-6 yrs.. and to become a full doctor.. u will need 11-15 yrs
if they are 60 then they would be 71-75 before they are done

it will hav lil returns.. which is a worry since this is taxpayers money.. and there is a doctor shortage too..
where is the returns to community? its all economics :(

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Interesting that comments about the social attitudes towards the age of doctors would garner such irrelevant comments about my course (which, by the way, is plainly displayed below each of my posts).

Bob.J: I'm also turning 20 next year, but at this point (ie the third decade) age doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Even doctors trained well into their thirties can give at least two decades of fully functional service (assuming retirement at 65, something that seems to happen less and less).

Estel: Ignore him, the only ones worth paying attention to are those with creative insults. Anything less is just dull.

Bob.J again: I like that view...I'm starting to think that I might not be so quick to snap up any offer for a place that comes my way. Right now I'm in a brilliant course at an excellent uni with insanely envious prospects, and I know that if I leave for a course I only half want (eg Medicine at JCU) then I'll miss my old course and be unhappy. There will always be graduate entry after all, and like you said, the experience of prior learning in a different field is never wasted.

I got another interview offer from Newcastle today. Anyone else? How do you feel about it?

vicksta

HSC
I got an interview offer too...arrrgh im still so undecided...Lexicographer, you'd be able to help - do you think its a good thing to jmp straight into a med course after finishing year 12, or would it be better to take a year off and get some worldly experiences, or do another degree and do grad med???
I already had my interview for UNSW, and im keen to do the Newcastle interview too, but my parents are fully saying that im too young and that i need to get out into the world and have experiences before i devote my life to something as big as medicine.....
Advice badly needed here!!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
To be honest, you're asking the wrong question. Do YOU think you've got what it takes, right now, to make a good doctor? After all, they're going to give you all the knowledge and understanding you need to practice medicine, but they can't teach you the personality you'll need to deal with patients every day.

Maybe graduate medicine is an option worth looking at? The best bet really is going to interview and seeing what the interviewers think of you - they're much better qualified than me at deciding who is ready to become a doctor-in-training than I am.

Hmm, I guess that's my advice then. Go to the interview, as yourself, and have a chat. Talk to the interviewers about your concerns, discuss the issues. Who knows, perhaps just by worrying about them you've already proven something worthwhile?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lexi's right.. but tats judgin by ure story.. if ure keen enough.. it will be more interestin to do med now..
srsly.. i thought i wasnt ready.. cos im too immature..
-moved out of home..
-study med..

but then i made it this far no fails... and its been a hard but worthwhile time..

realise that grad med entry is REALLI competitive.. and after that.. newcastle is the best option in my opinion.. cos its both grads and yr 12.. very challenging without losing sight of ur goals say if u did another course..

// edit: actualli lexi.. med schools do teach u to alter ure personality.. within physiological limits :p all good unis hav comprehensive behaviour subjects..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)