UMAT thoughts and discussion (1 Viewer)

HSC
You do understand that people don't know what they want to be in Yr 10 right? lol
When I was in yr 10 I didn't give a shit about school, so i just picked the humanities subs since they seemed the easiest (and I hated science). Now I wish I did economics, and 2u math, since I got interested in commerce due to learning the VERY basics of accounting/finance in business studies.

Web Addict

HSC
I guessed half of the questions.

Just wondering, are your results the percentage mark you got in the exam or a ranking of how well you did in the exam compared to everybody else?

Web Addict

HSC
Generally, what raw mark will give you a 70 to 80 final percentile?

Last edited:

clover_

HSC
@Web Addict
if this helps my tutor got 99 percentile (this was a couple of years ago) and was hitting around 85% in practice papers so for 70-80 I would estimate 50-60%

Web Addict

HSC
@Web Addict
if this helps my tutor got 99 percentile (this was a couple of years ago) and was hitting around 85% in practice papers so for 70-80 I would estimate 50-60%
Thanks. That's interesting and it gives me a glimmer of hope.

guessed most of the pick the middle questions
I guessed all of the pick the middle questions. I spent some time on the first few, but I still couldn't get it, so I just randomly picked an answer for rest of them. They're so annoying.

HSC
I guessed all of the pick the middle questions. I spent some time on the first few, but I still couldn't get it, so I just randomly picked an answer for rest of them. They're so annoying.
I only got the 1st one but the rest I had no clue, only where the 1st and last was.

GibsonES335

HSC
Web Addict - in order to get an interview you will probably need something in the percentile of 80+. I have heard rumours that UTAS is much lower however may be mistaken.

Percentile of 80 is an overall score of about 60. HOWEVER noone knows what constitutes an overall score of 60. It really depends on how everyone else went. Could mean you only need 50% of the exam right, could mean you need 90% of it right.

Its a pretty rough exam, most people dont get it first go, if you get something around the 40th percentile, in my opinion, i think you could do a prep course and bring it right up to 80. Whilst the percentiles of 40 and 80 sound vastly huge, the curve that ACER release is quite steep, so 3 or 4 overall scores make a huge difference. The difference between 40 and 80th percentile is only like 8 marks - however that is 8 overall score marks - again, not sure how many more correct questions this is... hope that helps mate

GibsonES335

HSC
i dont think this is true
in fact, i think its a lot easier doing it through alternative pathways, though it is a lot more time consuming
You can do the GAMSAT if worst comes to worst. The only ways into medicine for 95% of Med schools are through the GAMSAT (for graduates and is nothing like the umat, this exam is like a science and english exam) and the UMAT. You can still sit the UMAT if you have graduated from a degree, however only certain UNI's accept the UMAT - many take the GAMSAT.

What im doing: I finished school in 2009, wasnt interested in medicine at all, had a bit of a life changing experience to say the least and was in a coma/on life support for a bit. Woke up a few days later, wanted to be a doctor. My chances of living were pretty much 0 without brain damage. I was lucky enough to actually come out of it with no ongoing problems at all. ANYWAY, I am now at UNI, studying a degree and ensuring my marks are high enough to satisfy the required GPA (thats like your atar but for uni). Its out of 7 for MOST Uni's, not 100 like your atar. If you have a high enough GPA after a year of studying, you can transfer to medicine with a high enough UMAT and good interview.

End story is, UMAT doesnt just mean you have one shot in yr 12. If it doesnt work out this time, go to uni, work hard, get a high GPA and sit the umat again next year :) Im avoiding the GAMSAT as that exam is just ridiculous.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

GibsonES335

HSC
@Web Addict
in order to get an interview you will probably need something in the percentile of 80+. I have heard rumours that UTAS is much lower however may be mistaken.

Percentile of 80 is an overall score of about 60. HOWEVER noone knows what constitutes an overall score of 60. It really depends on how everyone else went. Could mean you only need 50% of the exam right, could mean you need 90% of it right. In saying that, i was getting about 70% in prep papers which, in line with what you have just said, has put a lot more confidence in me haha

Its a pretty rough exam, most people dont get it first go, if you get something around the 40th percentile, in my opinion, i think you could do a prep course and bring it right up to 80. Whilst the percentiles of 40 and 80 sound vastly huge, the curve that ACER release is quite steep, so 3 or 4 overall scores make a huge difference. The difference between 40 and 80th percentile is only like 8 marks - however that is 8 overall score marks - again, not sure how many more correct questions this is...

hope that helps :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Just my two cents, but I think the UMAT isn't a good way of separating potential candidates. It's like the OC (opportunity class) , you can get tutoring and prepare for it until you are quite familiar with how to attack the questions.

After all this practice is done and you are familiar it doesn't really "test" you so much. The UMAT should be unpreparable to really test candidate's "real" aptitude, logic and reasoning.

P.S. that's how my cousin feels towards the umat too (who's a doctor)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I know this is a bit irrelevant, but if you do sit your UMAT in the first or second year of doing your undergrad degree, what else do they take into account?
Do they look at your ATAR+UMAT again?
Or do they look at how well you've been doing in your course + UMAT score?

How do you get into med? I'm a bit clueless.

leesh95

HSC
You can do the GAMSAT if worst comes to worst. The only ways into medicine for 95% of Med schools are through the GAMSAT (for graduates and is nothing like the umat, this exam is like a science and english exam) and the UMAT. You can still sit the UMAT if you have graduated from a degree, however only certain UNI's accept the UMAT - many take the GAMSAT.

What im doing: I finished school in 2009, wasnt interested in medicine at all, had a bit of a life changing experience to say the least and was in a coma/on life support for a bit. Woke up a few days later, wanted to be a doctor. My chances of living were pretty much 0 without brain damage. I was lucky enough to actually come out of it with no ongoing problems at all. ANYWAY, I am now at UNI, studying a degree and ensuring my marks are high enough to satisfy the required GPA (thats like your atar but for uni). Its out of 7 for MOST Uni's, not 100 like your atar. If you have a high enough GPA after a year of studying, you can transfer to medicine with a high enough UMAT and good interview.

End story is, UMAT doesnt just mean you have one shot in yr 12. If it doesnt work out this time, go to uni, work hard, get a high GPA and sit the umat again next year :) Im avoiding the GAMSAT as that exam is just ridiculous.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Are there specific courses from which you can transfer to medicine or you could be doing music and still transfer to it?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
180 mins, 134 questions, 81 sec per question.

Surprisingly, in the whole exam, I was only completely stumped on 1 particular question.
i remember when khorne said similar back in the day…

Fuck the UMAT and medicine.
There are many other ways to make money if it was for the money and I don't want the prestige that comes with medicine. These are the two reasons why people want it so badly. Anything else i a lie. I never wanted to do medicine anyway. Seems like a stupid idea to spend 13 years rote-learning then about 30 years working with disgusting patients before I die. Fuck that... it is only one life I will live and death is inevitable, might as well do something I enjoy.
un.convention.al

Every.
Single.
Year.
For 5/6 years.

Also, med is actually amazing. I <3 it.

Yeah i got stuck in traffic so that completely stressed me out for the whole trip there... may have thrown me out a bit...

Hmmm i dunno the game questions i struggled with, all of the questions around experiments or graphs or 'can it be deducted from the above' i was pretty sweet with. Mainly the games, pick the middle and a couple of the emotional intelligence questions i didnt know the meaning of words for.

Hoping for a percentile of 80 ish so i can get into newcastle. Last year the cut off for Newcastle was suspected to be 59. I got about 50 last year, its just hard to tell if raising my over all score by 10 or so points is a matter of getting a few more questions right, or 30 more questions right...
That's 59 in SECTION ONE
Overall you need 50 in each section
Then your section one score determines whether you get an interview
You also need an ATAR over 94.5
I got the ATAR and my section one score was 61 the first time I tried but I got 48 in section two so I wasn't considered for interviews (the cutoff for section one was 57 that year)
The next year I had the ATAR/GPA and my section one was 76 but I got 47 in section two so I didn't get an interview again
So, it's not just getting 50. :/
You have to get AT LEAST 53 overall and that's only if you get 59/50/50
The section one score will probs go up again this year.

I was a bit disappointed there weren't more problem solving questions like the politician one
thats strange
I thought UMAT were shifting towards more verbal problems solving :/
There were so many last year!
Because the other shit in section one is tested in GAMSAT but verbal problem solving isn't.

My career advisor said that the chances of getting into medicine through alternative pathways are very limited. How true is this? I am freaking out.
my friend doing med with me now
Got a 77 (maybe less) ATAR, did two years of uni (because she did shit in UMAT in year 12 and first year) and got a 6 GPA, a good UMAT, and is going med now
Alternate pathways are fine but it knocks out a couple of uni's and makes it hard for a couple others.

Then why did you do all literature and no science?

I'm personally disgusted when people refuse to be assessed on subjects related to their uni course and get in anyway.

If you aren't good at or enjoy something enough to do it in HS, why are you trying to get in at uni?
Medicine is much a science as it is an art
It's as much about memorising information as it is about
And in undergrad your first 2/3 years is in uni learning science (with hospital every week (or two)) and then 3rd/4th year onwards it's about working with patients and stuff
So you don't need to be the best at science, medicine is more than science.

oh did I say nonverbal when I meant verbal? my bad haha.

Well.

Yea in practice papers its like HEY DRAW UP A MASSIVE CHART AND PUT IN ALL THE POSSIBILITIES for who went to the strip club on saturday out of johnny, maddy, alex, britt, barbara, mitch and michael, if two of them always lie, two never lie, one sometimes lies, one always lies on tuesday and wednesday, and on friday he sometimes lies, and on monday he always tells the truth. lol.

Didnt see any of that today. Which is good. Only simple versions of it.
glad I didn't have to sit today
That's the stuff I'm best at.
And it is SUPER useful in med to work stuff out. Especially during PBL.

In any event, it's mostly a moot point because HSC sciences and uni sciences are very different and divergent. Its kind of like telling a person off for doing Law despite the fact that they havent done Legal Studies.
HSC Sciences and uni sciences are pretty similar, uni is just harder and more maths.

I srsly dont understand how u can be good at something but dislike it. Like wtf.
If ur good at it and kickass against others in competition, HOW CAN U NOT BE HAVING FUN??!?!? BEATING OTHER PEOPLE!??!
Wow…

you dont need hsc bio for medicine at all, there are quite a few differences and all the relevant hsc stuff is pretty much covered in the first two weeks of uni

there is a bit of chem too, but again the relevant hsc stuff is covered easily over a short period of time
HSC Bio does help A LOT though
But you'll also be lulled into a false sense of security in first sem first year. Lol

But pretty much, if you're smart enough to get into med you'll catch-on quickly.

Web Addict - in order to get an interview you will probably need something in the percentile of 80+. I have heard rumours that UTAS is much lower however may be mistaken.
only if you live in Tasmania

Just my two cents, but I think the UMAT isn't a good way of separating potential candidates. It's like the OC (opportunity class) , you can get tutoring and prepare for it until you are quite familiar with how to attack the questions.

After all this practice is done and you are familiar it doesn't really "test" you so much. The UMAT should be unpreparable to really test candidate's "real" aptitude, logic and reasoning.

P.S. that's how my cousin feels towards the umat too (who's a doctor)
if you have the aptitude to learn how the to do well in the UMAT then you have the aptitude to learn how to perform in medicine.

You don't need to be a genius to do medicine, you just need ability (UMAT/GAMSAT), effort (ATAR/GPA), and the right interpersonal skills (interview).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I know this is a bit irrelevant, but if you do sit your UMAT in the first or second year of doing your undergrad degree, what else do they take into account?
Do they look at your ATAR+UMAT again?
Or do they look at how well you've been doing in your course + UMAT score?

How do you get into med? I'm a bit clueless.
depends on the med school
Make a separate thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)