Uni Advice - Which Law School? (1 Viewer)

strummerchick

HSC
N/A
Hello there!

I am an international student, and have applied to several universities with the intention of completing a LLB/BA course.
I've done quite a bit of research on the various rankings of the universities, but would nevertheless want your opinions about each university. Which do you think is best?And for what reasons? What about the environment in these cities? What is it like?

I have received offers from the following universities:

Murdoch University
Monash University
University of Tasmania
Griffith University
UNSW
University of Adelaide

Well, thank you for responding. Hopefully some time soon I will be attending one of the above universities.

Thanks again
-m

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
strummerchick said:
Hello there!

I am an international student, and have applied to several universities with the intention of completing a LLB/BA course.
I've done quite a bit of research on the various rankings of the universities, but would nevertheless want your opinions about each university. Which do you think is best?And for what reasons? What about the environment in these cities? What is it like?

Murdoch University
Monash University
University of Tasmania
Griffith University
UNSW
University of Adelaide

Well, thank you for responding. Hopefully some time soon I will be attending one of the above universities.

Thanks again
-m
It depends on what country you are from...

Out of those UNSW, UA and Monash are a part of the group of 8.

http://www.go8.edu.au/

strummerchick

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your reply.

I have another question. The Univserity of Tasmania awarded me an international student scholarship, at which I was surprised, as my grades are not particularly spectacular (although they are good..)..And I got the impression that the University of Tasmania is desparate for students because it is so generous. What are your views? Is the University of Tasmania a well-established and good university as they claim? I know it was established a long time ago and is older than most universities, but does that make it good?What is its reputation in Australia?

thanks for reading and your feedback:)
-m

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
strummerchick said:
Thanks for your reply.

I have another question. The Univserity of Tasmania awarded me an international student scholarship, at which I was surprised, as my grades are not particularly spectacular (although they are good..)..And I got the impression that the University of Tasmania is desparate for students because it is so generous. What are your views? Is the University of Tasmania a well-established and good university as they claim? I know it was established a long time ago and is older than most universities, but does that make it good?What is its reputation in Australia?

thanks for reading and your feedback:)
-m
Go to UNSW or Monash:

You'll find that The University of Tasmania might not be a great choice for the following reasons:

-It's not as well established, hence hasn't got the prestige factor,
-It's not a big university, and I hear their choice of your Arts component isn't great, (I'm assuming you'll do a BA/LLB...)
-UNSW and Monash are attached to relatively large cities- which is always good for a weekend night out. Not only that, but Melbourne and Sydney are far more interesting places than Hobart.

Pros:

-Tasmania's a pretty place...

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
strummerchick said:
Im from Singapore...
You most likely fit in at unsw. Utas is established but it is remote and not as well regarded as monash or unsw. That doesn't mean the educational experience is bad.

Chixidol

HSC
strummerchick said:

Murdoch University
Monash University
University of Tasmania
Griffith University
UNSW
University of Adelaide

-m

though i dont have funds of information regarding Australian Law schools,but i have heard many nice things about Monash's Law School regarding nice & helping faculty,more peerly reviewed subjects and being very practical.And ofcourse UNSW's Law School,offering comprehensive training in all aspects of Law.Nonetheless,if Sydney or Melbourne were included in your list surely i would have prioritize them.

So here you go.The list has been summarised
UNSW
Monash

DISCLOSURE:-
I am neither an Australian nor i have been to Australia.This is only my personal opinion.Perhaps,consulting a current student of respective institutes and having an insight to these schools will be much more reliable in killing the dilemma.

Greetings,
Chix Idol.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
From what I gather, you have an interest in the rankings of the Australian Universities. The Australian government recently conducted a survey/research on primarily teaching standards and you might like to have a look at it. Do a search on these forums.

BTW, none of the universities you mentioned were ranked anywhere in the top three. :p

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
santaslayer said:
From what I gather, you have an interest in the rankings of the Australian Universities. The Australian government recently conducted a survey/research on primarily teaching standards and you might like to have a look at it. Do a search on these forums.
^ Do you ever get tired of prancing around about this?

To the international student: remeber that the government was actually constructing a funding distributin scheme not postulating a quality ranking ...

While you will probably fit into UNSW more easily, you may want to try something different ... Monash is pretty good ...

Tasmania is a little remote - i.e. nice for a holiday but I'm not sure I'd want to study there

The others are in places that are too hot for me ...

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say...

1. Monash
2. UNSW

Just my view... no need to flame me. O yea and I think both universities have large numbers of FOBs... you'll really enjoy it.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Perth is seriously an awesome city, I would personally love to live there, so Murdoch would be worth considering. Problem is it's a long way away from anywhere, so it's not economical to do short trips to check out other cities.

Griffith Law school is only young, but I know some top grads from there. Not much prestige but the advantage is you get to live in Queensland :p

Adelaide (the city) is a hole.

Tasmania would be a bit quiet/remote for my liking... not really a party venue

Everyone's said stuff about the others and they'd know more than me so I think that's the extent of my worthwhile input.

santaslayer

HSC
ManlyChief said:
^ Do you ever get tired of prancing around about this?

It was a genuine response to. He/She did in fact talk about rankings within their question. By the way, what am I prancing about? You make it sound like I'm spamming or something.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
santaslayer said:
It was a genuine response to. He/She did in fact talk about rankings within their question. By the way, what am I prancing about? You make it sound like I'm spamming or something.
I think santa's quite right... if you want to look at rankings, feel free to do so.

May I recommend you the er... Times Rankings... o but you might be utterly surprised at the discrepancies between the two rankings.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
santaslayer said:
No, not spamming, prancing in the sense that it appears that in every thread comparing universities you merrily charge in with a post about the government funding distribution sheme ... you seem to have ever so much fun doing it, which is good.

Given the question is specifically about law schools - don't you think that if we are going to raise the issue of 'rankings' we need to find ones that actually claim to rank law schools specifically rather than universities generally? :)

santaslayer

HSC
ManlyChief said:
No, not spamming, prancing in the sense that it appears that in every thread comparing universities you merrily charge in with a post about the government funding distribution sheme ... you seem to have ever so much fun doing it, which is good.

Given the question is specifically about law schools - don't you think that if we are going to raise the issue of 'rankings' we need to find ones that actually claim to rank law schools specifically rather than universities generally? :)
I'm not aware of any local LLB rankings. You may want to bring that up here and provide us with some information. (In the context of Australian Universities that is. Not worldwide, since we all know who the best-est law school in the whole-wide-universe is-rankingwise). Other than that, I am only referring to:

strummerchick said:
I've done quite a bit of research on the various rankings of the universities but would nevertheless want your opinions about each university. Which do you think is best?And for what reasons? What about the environment in these cities? What is it like?
Note that if you were to fully answer the question, you would also need to do a search in B Arts courses and compare them to different universities, since what strummerchick wants to do is a double degree.

is a roflcopter
HSC
heres a couple more things about UNSW

we have a very active singaporean students association which holds heaps of events
we have a strong international students department for the Student Guild next year

so we promise you a vibrant campus life in addition to our super new law building (which looks like a carpark at the moment) :)

santaslayer

HSC
Newbie said:
heres a couple more things about UNSW

we have a very active singaporean students association which holds heaps of events
we have a strong international students department for the Student Guild next year

so we promise you a vibrant campus life in addition to our super new law building (which looks like a carpark at the moment) :)
what happened to the shang society? is it still there? i got told it got wasted.

santaslayer

HSC
lol, thats good then. the guy that told me is an idiot....

at least i know where the most beautiful ladies are concentrated and hang around. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)