Update me on VSU (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
I'm sure that you'd be the life of any NCAP gathering, iamaware.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
more like "NERDS, current affairs and politics"....
...well I hear moonlight has a way with the ladies...good mooter too.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If they were smart unions would already have plans in place for this (inevitable) eventuality...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I thought the whole push behind the anti-VSU campaign was that it would silence students?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Personally I hope that it leads to a MAJOR shake up of the ANUSA/Education Department...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Um I think it will come into effect mid year so you'll see USU in all its glory for sem1 - assuming the impending VSU doesnt serve as a wake up call...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
For interest, this is the text of an email I sent to Murray Olds on 2UE:

Hi Murray,

I’ve been listening to your show today, and I would like to share my opinion on Voluntary Student Unionism from the perspective of a student advocate. As a student of the University of Sydney, I have been paying a $540 fee every year of my enrolment ostensibly intended to support the university community, and as an ideology it’s something that I support. But the reality is that this money that’s supposed to enrich the student community is instead being abused to push political agendas by corrupted student representatives.

I am the Vice-President of one of those musical societies that is supposed to thrive under Universal Student Unionism, but we have not received payment from our Union for over a year now. Clubs and Societies are promoted as one of the highlights of USU, but Clubs and Societies represent a mere 3% of at least the USYD Union’s budget. That equates to approximately $10 per student. For students like me, the returns of Unionism are not enough to justify the up-front, non-deferrable payment of two week’s wages.

In 2005, more USYD student money was used to promote the Falun Gong cult, than was spent on services to my campus of 800 students (each paying $540 to the student organisations). In 2005, half a million dollars in student money was spent on protests against VSU, in which police and students alike were viciously attacked and injured by students with a vested interest in maintaining the student coffer. Sydney University Sport takes $144 of that $540, but spent a grand total of ZERO DOLLARS on providing sports facilities and activities to my campus. This is money that students scrimp and save for.

In 2005, I ran for our Student Representative Council, and for my efforts I was attacked verbally and physically. My property was damaged, and I was even beaten up on one occasion. So much for the idea of student participation in our student community. At the time, I supported Universal Unionism. But no longer. Our student organisations will no longer be able to neglect the needs of the student majority to promote a political ideology. Students will now be able to vote with their wallets, and if our student organisations wish to maintain our membership, they will have to provide services that benefit the student community as a whole.

Our student unions were demanding immediate payment of $540 from students who couldn’t even cover their day-to-day expenses. I have seen too many cases of students who couldn’t even buy groceries in the week leading up to enrolment, so they could pay their fees. It’s all well and good to have student community. But to force such exorbitant fees on the poorest socio-economic group in our society is absolutely deplorable.

Regards,

Andrew Quah
Independent Students’ Association, University of Sydney

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
politik said:
I guess I wanted to be able to see what Uni life is like before VSU gets approved, but I wont be able to next year.
Depending on what uni you're at the sneaky bastards might all charge for the year upfront.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
ANU usually does...

I believe any that do will have to refund the sem2 contribution though....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
VSU means you either:
- pay upfront fees for unions
- pay a bit extra every time you use services (ie non members rates)

gerhard

HSC
Non union members will still get a free ride every now and then though. eg things like o-week will have to be paid for by union members, but it will still be open to everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)