Urgent Questions (1 Viewer)

Khypheneight

HSC
Can anyone describe the B Nursing for me? I need help with what I want to do afterwards... after school... Sydney Uni doesn't have this course anymore... HELP!!!

I have heard that this particular University has a very low reputation, that employers don't really like this Uni for the rep of their courses. I don't feel this way, but maybe you can tell me if that's true, or maybe give me your opinion?

If I was to get accepted into this uni, and I had to travel by bus everyday, would I have to pay the fare, or would there a special type of card? Like the T-Card?

Thank you top anyone that can answer any of these questions for me. I really do appreciate it.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
*Points to giggles and girlgonemad - they both do nursing* Ask them about the course, I'm sure they'd describe it for you.

Don't listen to the bullshit about this uni having such a low rep. Its bullshit! At the end of your course you will get a degree, just like every other uni - a degree. Employers, especially associated with nursing won't give a shit where you get your degree from - mainly cause there is such a demand for nurses.

When you travel - you get a student card which entitles you a student discount on all public transport. However, if you travel by public buses you need another form.

Angel45

HSC
I have NO idea about nursing, but in terms of uws uni rep - don't even let that factor into ur decision!!

I'll admit, I was a bit dubious bout uws coz of its rep at first, but I am compl. happy here...which will mean I will prolly do rather well and make a nice happy candidate for a new job, which is most important!!

It is such a fantastic uni - gr8 grounds, gr8 lecturers, gr8 people and gr8 atmosphere!! No better, no worse, then any other uni.

I know ppl. who go to the more "presitiguous" unis who r compl. unhappy - perhaps not because of the uni perse - but they don't like their course...so just make sure u like the course!!

In terms of rep, it's really on good to look at that in terms of each faculty, not overall reputation coz I spose some unis may have betta courses for some fields then others... though I'd hazard a guess that ALL unis will have units that are done poorly or a few lecturers who aren't too crash hot!

Don't worry bout marks either...do what ur heart tells u u want to do. So many ppl. get like high marks and then change at the last minute into a course with a higher UAI or at a "betta" uni...

I can't stress how important having a true passion for the course is...but obviously ur really interested in nursing so stick with it and go for the course u like best.... "reputation" is opinion, not fact and it seems to be generated NOT by the people who go to UWS. And when ppl. go to UWS and say they don't like it, don't forget to query whether it's the uni they don't like or perhaps they're just in a field of study not suited to them... BIG difference... coz they'd be unhappy doing that course anywhere.

All i can say is, very happy with UWS...I'm a first year and couldn't of dreamed of a betta transition into uni life.

Good luck with everything!!

L

LaraB

Khypheneight said:
Can anyone describe the B Nursing for me? I need help with what I want to do afterwards... after school... Sydney Uni doesn't have this course anymore... HELP!!!

I have heard that this particular University has a very low reputation, that employers don't really like this Uni for the rep of their courses. I don't feel this way, but maybe you can tell me if that's true, or maybe give me your opinion?

If I was to get accepted into this uni, and I had to travel by bus everyday, would I have to pay the fare, or would there a special type of card? Like the T-Card?

Thank you top anyone that can answer any of these questions for me. I really do appreciate it.
yeah ask ppl here:)

have a look thru some of the threads started about B nursing and you might be able to get a better idea of thw kinda work the course entails

have a look at the website and if you still wanna ask more advice - give the uni's student call centre a buzz:) they're there for that very reason - the number's on the website somewhere...

and make sure you come to open day in August ish?

gdluck:)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
In nursing what uni u got to is completely irrelevant, unless maybe u dont want to work in Australia, then it might be a factor

Dumdida

HSC
N/A
nah i'm from overseas, they dont care man, as long as its a uni from overseas (Australia eg, from their perspective) then that is very prestigous, if u go i went to uni in australia they are like 'Wow!' They dont really care what uni u go to, and besides they just may consider ur uni in ur first job, then they dont even look at it, they just see ur profession and experience in that field.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Dumdida said:
nah i'm from overseas, they dont care man, as long as its a uni from overseas (Australia eg, from their perspective) then that is very prestigous, if u go i went to uni in australia they are like 'Wow!' They dont really care what uni u go to, and besides they just may consider ur uni in ur first job, then they dont even look at it, they just see ur profession and experience in that field.
Yeah but what country is that???????

L

LaraB

yeah - seems like o/s they're desperate for any medically trained people in a lot of countries so they dont really care where you get your qualificatyions from long as they're valid

in aus...i dunno..i guess its like evryething else - ultimately, for the most part, it shouldnt matter where you go to uni, but some people might wanna go to a certain uni coz the work's more challenging or up to date or interesting or whatever for personal reasons not just coz they want the 'best' job after:)

hehe.. i do nursing! *me.. pick me...*
the course is great, basically if u are really into helping people and all that hospital stuf its great.
right now my subjects are like psychology (its easy, really interestinng too), basic sciences - bio and chem (but all in relation to nursing, and its not that in depth) and therapeutics - the actual skillz u use to practice nursing. This is mad fun - u practice how to make beds, how to take care of people who cant do things for themselves like feeding and etc. theres a lot of group work - which i love, and u get exposed to all the medical equipment early!
Altho just dont let the low uai fool u... just cos its low it doesnt mean its easy - there is a lot of work and a lot of practicing skillz! but it is really easy to pass - just as long as u do all ur work like hand it in, attend all classes, and etc... and all that adds up to a grand total of 50%, u pass! :D BUT there r sum stuff which u have to get 100% which is like the maths test and the skillz test. The maths test is soooooo easy, its just conversion! its like convert 50mls to L's... easy peasy :D and the skillz test... well thats a bit harder, im still working on trying to resuscitate the CPR dummies... :(

the social part is great u get to meet a whole lot of new people! :) and UWS is a really good uni, people r helpful, nice, i settled in quiet quickly too!
hopefully that was helpful... i hope that made sense.. hehe... my bad im brain dead from doing assessments... if u need more info just ask..! :)

PS: just cos our uni doesnt charge as much as all those other rich snobby Uni's, it doesnt mean that we are low quality. Apparently UWS nurses are actually really respected in the workplace.. from what ive heard :p plus.. they have a nurse drought... would they really care what uni u came from? i mean NSWhealth probably have a set standard that they send to all the uni's

Last edited by a moderator:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
giggles869 said:
hehe.. i do nursing! *me.. pick me...*
the course is great, basically if u are really into helping people and all that hospital stuf its great.
right now my subjects are like psychology (its easy, really interestinng too), basic sciences - bio and chem (but all in relation to nursing, and its not that in depth) and therapeutics - the actual skillz u use to practice nursing. This is mad fun - u practice how to make beds, how to take care of people who cant do things for themselves like feeding and etc. theres a lot of group work - which i love, and u get exposed to all the medical equipment early!
Altho just dont let the low uai fool u... just cos its low it doesnt mean its easy - there is a lot of work and a lot of practicing skillz! but it is really easy to pass - just as long as u do all ur work like hand it in, attend all classes, and etc... and all that adds up to a grand total of 50%, u pass! :D BUT there r sum stuff which u have to get 100% which is like the maths test and the skillz test. The maths test is soooooo easy, its just conversion! its like convert 50mls to L's... easy peasy :D and the skillz test... well thats a bit harder, im still working on trying to resuscitate the CPR dummies... :(

the social part is great u get to meet a whole lot of new people! :) and UWS is a really good uni, people r helpful, nice, i settled in quiet quickly too!
hopefully that was helpful... i hope that made sense.. hehe... my bad im brain dead from doing assessments... if u need more info just ask..! :)
sounds piss easy, i thought it was harder

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
Im pretty sure UWS has more international students than any other uni in NSW
I doubt it, otherwise we wouldnt have funding problems

err easy??
haha... well not really...! the work is still hard and there is loads of it! they are really tough on ur skillz too... really tough, this one girl in my therapeutics class had to repeat the whole course cos she forgot to press the emergency button during cpr!
oh yer... the uniforms....
argghhh... SOooo Ugly! pants... that is like grandma pants, u know that sit just below the boobs, shirts the length of my skirts and navy shoes.. that reminds me i go on clinical next next week... i gotta wear that uniform on public transport :eek: :( i already bought my shoes... im gonna regret saying this but.. they arnt actually that bad... they r really comfy!

really really strict on uniform... my list for clinical:
no earrings, no long nailz, no nail polish, no jewellry, hair tied up, no colourful clothing under uniform and no mobiles ( this is kind of expected tho )

that rules me out completely... im surprised they havent said no make up....!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
giggles869 said:
no earrings, no long nailz, no nail polish, no jewellry, hair tied up, no colourful clothing under uniform and no mobiles ( this is kind of expected tho )
Boy, am I glad I'm not doing nursing! I can cope with the no jewellry, but no long nails! I'd die!!!

I feel sorry for you giggles869, but if you enjoy it, its all good.

haha thanx...
im planning on changing after work tho... i cant live without my earrings and jewellry...
ive tried the uniform without all that stuf, damn i look plain, and it feels weird wearing make up with the uniform.. hehe
:( im just gonna have to deal without all that luxuries for a whole week... altho upside... ill get ready for work really fast.. hehe

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
giggles869 said:
err easy??
haha... well not really...! the work is still hard and there is loads of it! they are really tough on ur skillz too... really tough, this one girl in my therapeutics class had to repeat the whole course cos she forgot to press the emergency button during cpr!
oh yer... the uniforms....
argghhh... SOooo Ugly! pants... that is like grandma pants, u know that sit just below the boobs, shirts the length of my skirts and navy shoes.. that reminds me i go on clinical next next week... i gotta wear that uniform on public transport :eek: :( i already bought my shoes... im gonna regret saying this but.. they arnt actually that bad... they r really comfy!

that rules me out completely... im surprised they havent said no make up....!
But do u guys do essays and written assingments like that, cause it still dont seem too hard, I did my First Aid Certificate when I was like 13

Korn said:
But do u guys do essays and written assingments like that, cause it still dont seem too hard, I did my First Aid Certificate when I was like 13
haha yes...
this semester ive had 4 essays to do.. all worth 45%, its sooooo crap cos i suck at essays, hopefully they see that i do know what the crap im talking about in my essays!
yep, well everyone has to start somewhere... i have to start off by washing old ppl... and hopefully ill make my way up to giving injections.. which i do next semester :D cant wait

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
giggles869 said:
haha yes...
this semester ive had 4 essays to do.. all worth 45%, its sooooo crap cos i suck at essays, hopefully they see that i do know what the crap im talking about in my essays!
yep, well everyone has to start somewhere... i have to start off by washing old ppl... and hopefully ill make my way up to giving injections.. which i do next semester :D cant wait
I have to do 3 assignments for 2 subjects and u gotta do 4 all up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)