arr.
HSC
Re: wtf is wrong with american kids

yeah that's pretty messed up. useless kids

HotShot

-_-
HSC

i dont blame the kids, it must be shit community, shit school essentially shit society and environment for the kids to get guns so easily! if i had gun wat would stop me from going around the street shooting people, if i had enough guns and bullets i would take on th police and maybe even the army.

wat use is thegun?if you cant use it? self-protection my -ass you can protect yourself from soemthing so someone has to start something, better you than them.

BronwynKate

HSC

An awareness of the value of human life not just to oneself but to the community and the world.

jest

HSC

i think that they think they've got a bad life. if things don't go their way, they'll just kill everyone. i don't think they realise they live in a really lucky country.. what about all the other kids in poor countries?

Kabeio

k.
HSC

jest said:
i think that they think they've got a bad life. if things don't go their way, they'll just kill everyone. i don't think they realise they live in a really lucky country.. what about all the other kids in poor countries?
lucky country my arse.

Australia = lucky country

BronwynKate

HSC

This is common with people who suffer anxiety and depression. There was a mother who murdered her autistic child in Manchester for just that reason, and I think this is comparable. Certainly it shows where this thought pattern may well lead.

Or with those who are over-indulged.

This is obviously destructive thinking and it has a lot of thinking errors. The word I wanted was DISTORTED thinking.

I think it's more than that. They may think that life is never going to get better and that they can't control or change it from where they are.

People in developing countries do think so. They are the lucky ones in that sense. We in Australia and America are victims and prisoners of our own affluence. We pay for that with increased alienation from community and society.

These people ought to have therapy where they can access it. E-counselling is often a good option and a productive use of your computer. This is an example of the many opportunities available in the First World. It would be great to have it spread to Africa, South American, Asia and the Pacific Islands. Maybe religious missionaries or technology evangelists could bring it in.

You must be the change you want to see in the world. This applies to us all no matter where we live or what we do.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

gordo said:
common sense?
exactly, a gun its common sense to use it. otherwise wats the point???????

shoot damn it,

give toy gun to a kid what does he do he pretends to shoot people why? because thats what guns are for. what weapon was used in wwi wwii, etc? guns guns gungs.

they are used to shoot, whether at people or not, its whoever closest.

'awareness to human life' mate wtf - they gave me the gun where is the awareness in that?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

The kids that are usually involved with shootings or attempted shootings are often from families that have problems such as alcoholism, domestic violence etc.

(I can't comprehend how people aren't suddenly self aware of their actions when they become parents, being role models for their children, and a major influence to their lives.)

But in that particular article, how its the anniversary of the columbine tragedy, American schools need to really work on their education when it comes to social problems such as bullying. Despite coming from broken families, schools should be able to provide a safe haven for them, and really try to push for that.

Even though at the time, I thought it was mundane and repetitive, the way in which my school constantly addressed bullying, what to do about it, who they can talk to, compulsary group talks about how literally everyone has experienced some sort of bullying at least once in their life, and other such workshops etc are probably really effective.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC

HotShot said:
exactly, a gun its common sense to use it. otherwise wats the point???????
So you are saying given one has a gun, it would be common sense to go and shoot someone with it. World war 1 and 2 were about protecting freedom. Most Americans would have a gun as a form of self protection, not for recreational murder.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

The Second Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.​

There it is, right there, an express right in the US Constituytion. Lovely. http://www.nra.org/

I believe those teenagers have the right to carry concealed weapons. As long as they have a background check.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

GRRRRRRRR

of course the article mentions "Authorities said the suspects, who ranged in age from 16 to 18, planned to wear black trench coats and target popular students and staff at their high school, just as Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold did in their deadly 1999 assault in Columbine that left 15 dead."

well thats not actually true. stupid newspaper articles. that wasn't their intention, they intended it to be more of a massacre and transcend the idea of a school shooting. do some research idiots.

this actually happens quite a lot. theres a website http://www.thetrenchcoat.com/ that details whenever anything like this happens. which unfortunately does happen, threats and shootings and the like.

a lot of the problem is the ready availability of guns i think... but theres so many individual issues that its hard to generalise.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

gordo said:
So you are saying given one has a gun, it would be common sense to go and shoot someone with it. World war 1 and 2 were about protecting freedom. Most Americans would have a gun as a form of self protection, not for recreational murder.
wwi and wwii ha d little to do with freedom.. i dont know where you got that from?

you have a gun, its common sense to use what u have otherwise its a waster. the military has plenty of guns and ammo, they dont wait till a war to use it, in the meantime they practice shooting.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I have a knife and it would be a waste if I didn't practise stabbing people

:/

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

HotShot said:
wwi and wwii ha d little to do with freedom.. i dont know where you got that from?

you have a gun, its common sense to use what u have otherwise its a waster. the military has plenty of guns and ammo, they dont wait till a war to use it, in the meantime they practice shooting.
So common sense dictates that the USSR and the USA should've used their nuclear arsenals during the Cold War?

HotShot

-_-
HSC

Xayma said:
So common sense dictates that the USSR and the USA should've used their nuclear arsenals during the Cold War?
yes there is a problem how do you use it? there will be so much discussion on how to use it, it is best not to use it. the president might say lets say blow up vietname, the foreign minister will say no not vietname, lets blow up chicago etc.

so the nuclear missile does not belong to one person.

davin

HSC
N/A

the issue is with a lack of parenting far more than a general cultural issue.

i'd point out that, firstly, they also had KNIVES in preperation of this. second, i would bet that when more info comes out, these kids either a. had home life issues or b. and what i think is very probable, were on medications like ritalin. The new thing is that you fix any problem a kid has with drugs, and i think that there is something very wrong in that. I'm not doing some psycho scientology thing about psychology being fake, but simply trying to use medication to fix a kid's problem doesn't work always. The number of suicide cases caused by anti-depressants alone is rather disturbing, its like a cure for cancer that causes other cancers.

but anyway, my point is, there are problems with these kids that aren't being addressed in the home. often they illegally obtain the guns used in the crimes anyway.

there's a lot of misconceptions, i think, about gun laws in the united states. there are statistics indicating that guns are used to prevent or deter crime more than they are used to commit crimes. most guns used in crimes are stolen, and anyone that has a felony is, by law, prohibited from owning a gun.

also, the reason that guns would reduce crime is that most people will not use a gun in a crime if there's a possibility that they will get shot themselves. why is it people don't rob police? because a police officer has a gun and knows how to use it. several of the school shootings, actually, have been stopped by civilians with guns.
yes, people who shouldn't have guns get a hold of them sometimes. and yes, there some peopel that snap and get hold of a gun and will try to kill people just to kill them, but they are few in number comparitivly.

i think its particularly interesting to see HotShot generalising American culture as a whole even though he seems to have had limited, if any, contact with it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)