Using "+" instead of "'and" (1 Viewer)

manta

Originally posted by MrMiK
I think the only prob with it is that a marker MAY see your "+" and feel you are avoiding the spelling of a 3 letter word (even tho its REAL obvious u can spell past it)
apparently.. if i remember correctly, if you mis spell a small word like that, you cant like.. raise above a band.. 2? maybe..?
cant remember
im gona b safe and write it out. A - N - D gee.. heaps hard ay.
yeah well, as people have said b4 if u look at the standards package some band 6 answers do have +'s. I guess I just use + by habit. I will probably end up writing 'and' anywayz, I'm just saying people arguing over this is silly

narrator

HSC
N/A
you're probably right, but i just couldn't resist arguing with ssj_goku, he needs to wake up and accept the fact that + isn't a word, but 'and' is.

btw, goku, you complained over the precious seconds that you save by wriing +s, the point of contracting titles is exactly the same except it's designed with fairness in mind, beleive it or not titles do vary a great deal at times:

for example: emma v. An Imaginary Life
clueless v balde runner-director's cut

all of these are from advanced module A of this years HSC and although even when you shorten them they're not exactly the same (ie. 1 letter to 3 or 4), they're a lot closer

here's one from standard module C:

tracks v. the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hahha this thing is still going, i say you have a little bit of door a and a little bit of door b...

so say narrator and ssj_goku would become n4rr4t0r +ndz0r 55j_g0ku :D

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
you're probably right, but i just couldn't resist arguing with ssj_goku, he needs to wake up and accept the fact that + isn't a word, but 'and' is.

btw, goku, you complained over the precious seconds that you save by wriing +s, the point of contracting titles is exactly the same except it's designed with fairness in mind, beleive it or not titles do vary a great deal at times:

for example: emma v. An Imaginary Life
clueless v balde runner-director's cut

all of these are from advanced module A of this years HSC and although even when you shorten them they're not exactly the same (ie. 1 letter to 3 or 4), they're a lot closer

here's one from standard module C:

tracks v. the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
Btw, I do also believe that this is prob a pointless argument, but what the hey. Once again you flew right over my main point. My main point is that if contractions are used "to promote fairness", then several things would occur.
1. It would be officially endorsed and recommended by the BOS. The lack of encouragement demonstrates that contractions are simply something they let you get away with, not something that promotes fairness. Besides, as pomo states fairness is in the eye of the beholder, and mroe time writing the title might give someone more time to think about their response, who knows! ( again not being completely serious on the pomo point).
2. It would make sense. Even if you don't do maths narrator, you really should learn to count. Using the contractions most often tips the scales in the other direction, not the other way round (e.g. BR and clueless). Plus, most of the time people have an even distribution of long and short text titles.
3. This level of debate as to wether or not it was acceptable would not occur. While this does follow from part 1, there is also the notion that most of this insecurity comes from other fear, or guilt. If it were officially acceptable or widely considered to have a completely pure/altruistic reason for being, there would be less insecurity and less debate (although people such as you and me would still probably argue over it).
Finally, stop telling me to chill off. I've shown (through all the pomo references) that I'm continuing these debates for fun, whereas you're stalking of my posts seems to indicate that you have some sort of vendetta. Just remember, breathe in, breathe out.

Last edited:

narrator

HSC
N/A
'+' isn't a word, 'and' is, for someone who prides himself on english you sure are ignorant about the most basic of words

how you can say most people have an even distribution is beyond me, at least i've bothered to ask people from other schools, some of which are balanced, some have long and some have short overall

MUS2

no +, no +
thats just stupid. you wanna use a real contraxtion, use &
no+ no+
down with the +

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
guys, when it comes down to it, using +, & and other abbreviations is just plain bad english..in an ENGLISH EXAM! I mean, come on, think of it, they are marking you on your english skills, and you cant even be bothered to write a simple three letter word? but yet you can all write about 800 large words to convey your 'intelligence'?

ssj_goku

MUS2 and narrator, I have a little life lesson for you. The only single letters which are actual words are A and I. Therefore using BNW is just as grievious a heresy against language than our poor friend mister +. In fact its probably even worse, because your shamelessly trying to cover up what your doing by using letters. At least Mr. + isn't ashamed of what he is, a real character (LOL). For countless years he's acted as a symbol, and fought to gain recognition for his meaning. Then you come along and try to disposses him of what is rightfully his. Shame on you narrator, and your little muse 2. I haven't said its good English to use them btw (unlike the dynamic duo did with title contractions), I just said they were acceptable by the BOS. So far narrator and MUS2 haven't seemed to argue with that, rather opting to Throw copious amounts of contradictory statements at me and hope to just make me bored. Well I've got news for you, if you think thats boring, just try waiting to sell a sakkat for an above market price in RO without the vend skill.

MUS2

finally, you realise we are trying to make you bored. i cursed the day johnny told you about this....damn you johnny g.

narrator

HSC
N/A
funny, most people in this thread seem to agree with our stance that it's plain bad english, thanks to all you guys who can see this, ssj_goku just doesn't like to admit he's wrong, in fact i've never once heard him say it

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
funny, most people in this thread seem to agree with our stance that it's plain bad english, thanks to all you guys who can see this, ssj_goku just doesn't like to admit he's wrong, in fact i've never once heard him say it
I'm wrong. Oh look I was wrong about saying I was wrong too. What are the odds. As I've already told you, I haven't said its not bad English, I've just said its not BOS bad English (i.e. you'll get away with it), something to which there haven't actually been any disagreement (I don't count your contributions). Sounds like your really spinning quite a story narrator. :)

narrator

HSC
N/A
that was disgusting, to say that because you'll get away with it, it's not bad BOS english, it's bad any english

ssj_goku

Finally, a sensible, even intriguing question on this thread. In response, Willis is a character on an old TV show called "Family Ties" The phrase "What you talking bout Willis" was often uttered by Gary Coleman's character to the aforementioned Willis, thus earning it an eternal place in the popular culture.

And as for narrator, just because you think something's disgusting, doesn't mean it isn't there, look at George Bush's presidency (if you want to argue with that I was being sarcastic).

narrator

HSC
N/A
bos does not endorse illegible writing, which to them includes the shortening of words but not clearly marked shortening of texts' titles, although not for characters or other issues of the sort - check the official site

ssj_goku

I didn't say it was endorsed English (i.e. they'll love you for doing it), I just said it was acceptable BOS English (i.e. you'll get away with it). In your own words narrator "take a chill pill". :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)