Using "+" instead of "'and" (2 Viewers)

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
wait, you argue with me when i say that 'acceptable' and 'getting away with it' are two different things, then when i show you some official facts you throw them back at me saying bos basically doesn't know what they're doing, you won't 'get away with it,' it'll be looked down upon and if two essys are considered of equal weighting other than that issue, i can guarantee that the one with the contractions of the word 'and' will get less
First of all, what thread were you on. Half the contradictory arguments you said I made I never did, and the others were probably brought up by you. Anyway, you seem to have been generally neglecting the bonus time that using contractions gives you. Furthermore, how can you be against +'s, and for title contractions.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
ssj_goku and narrator, I can see that you're having a nice intellectual discussion there but please either keep it on topic or move it to PM.

ssj_goku

I to am sorry anti, I can't promise to give up being a pomosexual, but I can promise to try to avoid going off topic and speaking ghetto.

As I explained earlier narrator, contractions are not in the interest of fairness, you even said yourself that they weren't endorsed by the BOS, which they would be if they were in the interest of fairness. I also gave a number of other arguments against such an assertion. Also, when you consider that out of those posts about 50 were probably responding to you, it isn't that bad. :)

Last edited:

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by enak
I think you would have to specify intially what the abbreviation/acronym is, ie Brave New World (BNW) then you can use BNW for the rest of the essay :)
yep, that's the rule they use for it

i got told by one of the english marking supervisors

using abbreviations, u get left with more time to provide actual content, thus giving your essay more substance

i think that might have something to do with abbreviations &'s and "+'s" appearing in band 6 and exemplar responses

edit: please don't yell at me narrator- i just repeated what i heard from my BOS 'connection' :p

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i still say im going to play it safe and write out everything in full.

ssj_goku

If you don't believe its bad bos English narrator, then why did you attack my original, completely innocent post? Also, contractions (which you apparently support) are pretty much the same as +'s for reasons I've already described. As for me insisting to argue about things I'm unqualified to, I only do it for you my friend. :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
GUYS, GET OVER IT!
Narrator, you do it your way, ssj_goku, you do it your way and it will all be good. just stop arguing about something you obviously are never going to agree on.

ssj_goku

Narrator, if you want everyone to be nice and open minded, why did you attack my original post which really was none of your business. As for calling me stubborn, remember it takes two to tango. Anyway, sorry to hipsta_jess and anyone else who got bored stiff/irritated by the argument, in retrospect an argument over 4 pages about the use of +'s might have been a bit excessive. With that I say, Arrivederci! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)