USyd vs. UNSW vs. UTS for Engineering. (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Are you stupid? how is it shit? its one one the most prestigious universities in Australia, but even apart from that its the highest ranking uni in New South Wales. But more importantly it say on your account that you are doing a bachelor of Visual Arts, so your argument is invalid:L especially on engineering. Furthermore your probably in denial, because you didn't get accepted in, cmon no one goes to that much length to bring down another uni, then again i can't blame you, you're doing a visual arts degree you must be high all the time:)
Ever occur to you that he may be trolling with "her" profile data? Perhaps some of his posts? Don't take everything on here too seriously.

Also, just saying, Usyd don't have a particularly high cut off for engineering (well iirc civil is slightly higher than UNSW) and with software engineering at least I know of people getting offers with low 80s ATARs (who subsequently went to UTS). I don't mean that as a bad thing, in fact it's common for people to rack up a tonne of bonus points (area, subject, questionnaire) for UTS and get into engineering with mid 70s ATARs. UNSW have FEAS or stuff like material science engineering with significantly lower cut offs. Anyway my point is that engineering at any uni is not some exclusive, prestigious thing. It's common for engineering students at either UTS, UNSW or USyd to have ATARs well in excess of the cut off at any of the three universities.

I don't really rate that to be honest. Given engineering grads from all uni's have to do 3 months work placement it really isn't much of an advantage given it means the degree takes a year longer.
The good thing with the practice program is it is split into two internships and you get some experience towards the begining of your course, the 3 month work placement is usually done towards the very end. I've heard some people end up changing majors or even switching courses completely after realising during their first internship that what they were doing just wasn't for them. Admittedly there is nothing stopping a student from taking time off uni elsewhere to do a random 6 month internship (besides potential scheduling problems in future) or doing summer internships.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you stupid? how is it shit? its one one the most prestigious universities in Australia, but even apart from that its the highest ranking uni in New South Wales. But more importantly it say on your account that you are doing a bachelor of Visual Arts, so your argument is invalid:L especially on engineering. Furthermore your probably in denial, because you didn't get accepted in, cmon no one goes to that much length to bring down another uni, then again i can't blame you, you're doing a visual arts degree you must be high all the time:)
your argument is invalid because you have never made it into uni before :p

HSC
N/A
i'm 100% sure that kaz1 does engineering and "her" atar will smash yours bro

dont doubt da new south

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
There is no point in anyone saying one uni is crap or anything. UWS is very good in medicine but not as strong in engineering.

I just wanted to know which uni is the POWERHOUSE of engineering, not whether one uni is crap or not.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Although that may be the case at the moment, just because you are in uni ,doesn't put you in a position to bag out another uni, especially because you have told us why you don't like it, you're just cursing it and making immature remarks, and if that is your opinion well that is fine then. good for you
according to my profile I go to USYD, it is shit from personal experience okay

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
There is no point in anyone saying one uni is crap or anything. UWS is very good in medicine but not as strong in engineering.

I just wanted to know which uni is the POWERHOUSE of engineering, not whether one uni is crap or not.
There isn't a powerhouse so to speak. Unsw, Usyd and UTS are al good for engineering.

Rathaen

HSC
I decided to stay away from USyd engineering based on the fact that all their buildings are 60s architecture and all cloistered away in the corner of the campus :p

Of course, this means that now I have to walk up the massive hill everyday at UNSW haha.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I am so sick of people harping on about "usyd no.1 oldest uni most prestige". I don't hold a personal vendetta against usyd, but I specifically wrote usyd completely out of my 9 preferences because I personally just could not find a single thing about usyd that resonated with me. After going to 4 of their open days, all I experienced was arrogance from the current students who was supposed to be helping people around the campus and a distinct snobiness I found at no other uni. That culture of "prestige" is ridiculous. I have many many friends who went to usyd in our graduation year (and friends already at usyd) who have all said the general student body's attitude is horrendous with a lot already lined up to change unis at the end of this first semester. Lecturers, I've heard (and yes I know it's hearsay but when it comes from dozens of people I think I can reasonably assume there's some truth in it) can be quite unhelpful, read directly from powerpoint presentations, and actually groom that culture. Just a few weeks ago I saw a usyd professor claiming that usyd is "the pinnacle of heightened intelligence in australia and it's our responsibility to enlighten the masses but whether they can understand our intellectual capacity is another thing" on the 7:30 Report (I think, it may have just been ABC news, can't really remember). It's just not something I want to be part of, but I want to stress that in no way do I mean that usyd is a bad university. You might find it outrageous but usyd has no appeal to some people. Sure, the campus is pretty cool, but from the complaints on facilities I get from my friends aren't very encouraging either. I have a friend who's in classes with people who all believe they will be the next Prime Minister by right of being at usyd. I was genuinely surprised to hear how many people I knew that disliked being there. A lot of students in my own tute classes are actually usyd transfers, with most of them proclaiming that the atmosphere at uts is amazing in comparison.

OT: I would probably opt for UNSW in terms of engineering. Try and get yourself into one of the Co-Op scholarships. I have a few friends doing it right now and they all absolutely love the degree and uni.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
OT: I would probably opt for UNSW in terms of engineering. Try and get yourself into one of the Co-Op scholarships. I have a few friends doing it right now and they all absolutely love the degree and uni.
Thanks. I will try for the Co-op. I have all the extra-curricular activities and community involvement but I doubt I can get a 96 ATAR.
Has anyone heard of someone getting a Co-op with an ATAR lower than 96?
By the attitude of most on this thread and from personal preference, I think I will regard UTS over USyd in terms of engineering.

ismeta

HSC
Thanks. I will try for the Co-op. I have all the extra-curricular activities and community involvement but I doubt I can get a 96 ATAR.
By the attitude of most on this thread and from personal preference, I think I will regard UTS over USyd in terms of engineering.
No, unless you get EAS points it's not possible to get Co-op with an ATAR under 96 unfortunately. :( Apply anyway though, you may be surprised! (Friend of mine anticipated a high 80s-low 90s ATAR, ended up with > 96 and got offered Co-op. Underestimated himself.)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Apply for co-op at UTS as well. Usyd too if they have a program.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I wouldn't write yourself off from a 96 ATAR just yet! I thought I was going to perform at under 95 but I ended up with an ATAR way above 97 so you never really know hahaha

What subjects are you doing?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also possible to apply for a Co-Op for your 2nd year of uni I think? Not 100% sure about that one, but if that's true then you can always apply for it twice I guess :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My subjects are in the signature. Our dux last year only received an 80 ATAR and I thought he was smart. He did the same subjects as me but he had no competition. I have one person in competition in all of my subjects, and at least two in half of my subjects. That is the only reason why I have doubts.

ismeta

HSC
And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also possible to apply for a Co-Op for your 2nd year of uni I think?
Yeah, it's possible to apply for (UNSW) Co-Op in second/other years - however there are only spots available if new sponsors sign up (very rare afaik) or someone drops out (somewhat common). link to vacancies :)

Chronicole

HSC
Currently doing b engineering/b science at Usyd and I'm really enjoying it. Just so that you know not all Usyd students are bitter about their own uni. I can't comment on any of the other unis because I've never been to them. And seriously every uni has it's flaws - At times I don't like some of my lecturers but I still hear about my friends who do engineering at UNSW/UTS bitch about their lecturers and classes. And the person who said the engineering buildings in Usyd were like 60s architecture clearly has not been inside.

Anyway, all I can say about Usyd engineering is that i love my course, i'm enjoying it and I'm not changing to any other uni that is 'famous' for engineering and the same could be said for my friends who study at other universities. What I would suggest you do is look at the course outline for the degree in all the unis and see which one you like. Originally i was accepted into UNSW but in the late round offer I put down USyd because I liked the structure of the USyd course more. Don't let marketing and prestige affect you.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I am so sick of people harping on about "usyd no.1 oldest uni most prestige". I don't hold a personal vendetta against usyd, but I specifically wrote usyd completely out of my 9 preferences because I personally just could not find a single thing about usyd that resonated with me. After going to 4 of their open days, all I experienced was arrogance from the current students who was supposed to be helping people around the campus and a distinct snobiness I found at no other uni. That culture of "prestige" is ridiculous. I have many many friends who went to usyd in our graduation year (and friends already at usyd) who have all said the general student body's attitude is horrendous with a lot already lined up to change unis at the end of this first semester. Lecturers, I've heard (and yes I know it's hearsay but when it comes from dozens of people I think I can reasonably assume there's some truth in it) can be quite unhelpful, read directly from powerpoint presentations, and actually groom that culture. Just a few weeks ago I saw a usyd professor claiming that usyd is "the pinnacle of heightened intelligence in australia and it's our responsibility to enlighten the masses but whether they can understand our intellectual capacity is another thing" on the 7:30 Report (I think, it may have just been ABC news, can't really remember). It's just not something I want to be part of, but I want to stress that in no way do I mean that usyd is a bad university. You might find it outrageous but usyd has no appeal to some people. Sure, the campus is pretty cool, but from the complaints on facilities I get from my friends aren't very encouraging either. I have a friend who's in classes with people who all believe they will be the next Prime Minister by right of being at usyd. I was genuinely surprised to hear how many people I knew that disliked being there. A lot of students in my own tute classes are actually usyd transfers, with most of them proclaiming that the atmosphere at uts is amazing in comparison.

1. Doesn't sound like you don't have a personal vendetta.
2. Honestly, I didn't see much difference at UNSW - I know so many UNSW students shit talking USyd and UTS, I don't see why you're saying USyd is arrogant. In fact, after being at USyd for almost a whole semester, I don't even feel that there's an arrogant atmosphere here.
3. Sure, they're opinion speaks for everyone here - if you haven't actually attended here first hand, don't both commenting like that - the vast majority in my cohort (BSc) are friendly and helpful to each other.
4. Lecturers that I have are always willing to help - I saw my previous CHEM1901 lecturer helping a student towards the front of the Chemistry building and I've seen lecturers constantly answering questions after/before lectures. Obviously, with the reading off of lecture slides, that has to happen to some extent but in BSc, a lot of it is NOT reading off slides and some lecturers don't even use slides, they write on the black board (best, imo).
5. Haven't seen any of that before - probably Arts students. Again.

What you have said is pretty much based on what others have told you - heard of argument from ignorance? I've heard from someone that previously lived in America that at UWS, he is racially discriminated against. Do I call UWS a racist university?

Last edited:

Chronicole

HSC
I think you just have really bad luck/experiences with Usyd. I have yet to meet an unpleasant student or person in general at USyd. And not sure what your friends study but I'm sure your friends have some things they like about the uni, it just looks like either your friends or you only mentioned the bad and forgot about the good. You stress that you don't think USyd is a bad uni but your entire paragraph speaks for itself.

Last edited:

nifkeh

HSC
Why would UTS be over USyd? Because it has "technology" in the name?

Honestly, teaching quality will be average at best, at any university. At UNSW, I hear that there's a lot if lecturers with very heavy accents.

This is why prestige will be a huge difference - sure, there probably isn't a huge difference between the graduates but employers see differently.
no not just teaching it's because you get year of work experience when you graduate at UTS. which means you can get work easily. UNSW only requires 60 days of work experience, and it is hard to get because they don't have industry connections like UTS do for work experience

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
1. Doesn't sound like you don't have a personal vendetta.
2. Honestly, I didn't see much difference at UNSW - I know so many UNSW students shit talking USyd and UTS, I don't see why you're saying USyd is arrogant. In fact, after being at USyd for almost a whole semester, I don't even feel that there's an arrogant atmosphere here.
3. Sure, they're opinion speaks for everyone here - if you haven't actually attended here first hand, don't both commenting like that - the vast majority in my cohort (BSc) are friendly and helpful to each other.
4. Lecturers that I have are always willing to help - I saw my previous CHEM1901 lecturer helping a student towards the front of the Chemistry building and I've seen lecturers constantly answering questions after/before lectures. Obviously, with the reading off of lecture slides, that has to happen to some extent but in BSc, a lot of it is NOT reading off slides and some lecturers don't even use slides, they write on the black board (best, imo).
5. Haven't seen any of that before - probably Arts students. Again.

What you have said is pretty much based on what others have told you - heard of argument from ignorance? I've heard from someone that previously lived in America that at UWS, he is racially discriminated against. Do I call UWS a racist university?
I think you just have really bad luck/experiences with Usyd. I have yet to meet an unpleasant student or person in general at USyd. And not sure what your friends study but I'm sure your friends have some things they like about the uni, it just looks like either your friends or you only mentioned the bad and forgot about the good. You stress that you don't think USyd is a bad uni but your entire paragraph speaks for itself.
Evidently I made some pretty stupid statements here some months back. I'd like to apologise for that now.

My stance is the same though - I don't hate USYD. In many regards it is an amazing educational institution, and I recognise and respect that.

I have a vendetta against the concept of 'prestige' as a deciding factor in employment and students who parade around heralding that USYD is the best uni because of 'prestige' without mentioning the many achievements the uni actually has that would make it 'the best'. I get carried away when people spout that, especially when they are HSC kids. It was petty of me to go off the way I did, and I'm sorry. But at the same time my experiences at the uni open days and the dud experiences from a lot of my peers who study there gives the impression that at the very least it is not the greatest university in the world - not that that was in dispute anyway. I don't mean to discredit the uni, and I realise now that those experiences aren't unique to students at USYD and can be experienced by students at any university. Again, my issue is with 'prestige' as a deciding factor, not USYD as a uni, and I should've made that clearer in my post.

lawstu

HSC
By whatever schema,
1. UNSW
2. UTS
3. Sydney

That notwithstanding, it all depends. Moreover, the only opinion that matters is yours, followed by your course of action and your accepting the consequences of whatever you do or don't do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)