• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

vote 1 babydoll (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Thankyou, Kirstin. I will do just that tommorow. It's a pity that you weren't a candidate in the source elections as I would have voted for you. I voted for someone else who I can't even remember the name of after being harassed for five minutes outside the library. I hope you run for the university council or some other body in the future.

kirstin hunter

HSC
ohne said:
Thankyou, Kirstin. I will do just that tommorow. It's a pity that you weren't a candidate in the source elections as I would have voted for you. I voted for someone else who I can't even remember the name of after being harassed for five minutes outside the library. I hope you run for the university council or some other body in the future.
Funny you should mention that... I am running for University Council :)

The papers for that election will arrive this week some time. They are pink with a red envelope (so I'm told) and yeah, I'd appreciate it if people voted for me ;)

Am happy to put up more info about what I'm running for if people want, though it is summarised in my candidate statement that is mailed with the ballot forms. If anyone is interested in more info just ask.

And for the Source elections, vote counting is taking place on Monday so I will post up who is elected when it is known.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
I hope you all lose. I wish hackass would come back, then I would vote.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
If elected mayor, my first act will be to kill the whole lot of ye, and burn yer town to cinders!

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Curry said:
I hope you all lose. I wish hackass would come back, then I would vote.
But honestly, who listens to a curry?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
voted for you today kirsten :)

none of the other candidates even seem vaguely qualified :/

kirstin hunter

HSC
babydoll_ said:
voted for you today kirsten :)

none of the other candidates even seem vaguely qualified :/

As I said earlier, if anyone wants me to explain any of my policy ideas I'm more than happy to go into more info. The pink form accompanying the ballot forms has a bit of a summary, but there's only so much you can say in 150 words!

stamos

sellout
HSC
why don't you just start a thread on it and put it up there for anyone who can be arsed reading it

ohne

HSC
I intend to vote for you, Kirstin since you appear to be the only candidate here who is available to answer questions. I would like to offer some encouragement in terms of policies, however, since I do not agree with the majority of what you wrote for the pink sheet.

For example you state that UNSW's teaching performance is bad but most of your promises are not related to teaching and mostly deal with things like sport, clubs etc.

In my opinion the main priorities should relate to education and the upgrade of facilities. One thing that I hate about UNSW is the old main building. It was built 50 years ago and is the design of a hospital rather than a university building. The University should knock it down and replace it with something that is actually suited to a university. Another priority should be to ensure there are more computers per student as university is becoming increasingly dependent on the use of computers.

I don't live in a college, I don't have any children and I am not a member of any clubs at the University, therefore I am not likely to benefit from your campaign pledges. I would highly recommend focusing on issues that all students at UNSW will benefit from rather than just a few vested interest groups.

kirstin hunter

HSC
That's actually the interesting thing about Council, is getting to have a say on the balance of where the Uni money goes. Unfortunately though there is only so much you can say in 150 words, but I definitely agree with the points you raise.

I agree with you about the Old Main building, really I do - I had a class in there in first year and at the end of the semester I still had no idea where to find things. The med buildings, similarly are old and outdated, and desperately need new lab and classroom space.

One of the problems that I do see though is that UNSW is so concerned about the architecture and spunky new look of its buildings - while spending millions and millions at UNSW to make it look "modern" and so they can get their name in this year's architectual awards book (not to mention designing the new UNSW Asia campus), the Uni is at the same time forcing faculties to scale down on staff, in particular cutting back on full timers for casuals, who are usually less experienced.

The big problem is that teaching rankings among the lowest in australia mean that your UNSW degree is worth less than your Melbourne/ANU/Sydney counterpart. Which means that students end up with lower starting salaries and have more trouble finding work.

UNSW also struggles with its student experience - the fact that clubs or student organisations don't appeal to you enough to get you involved is a part of this.

All of this ties in together to add to our Uni's reputation, and like it or not, the experience of students trying to come to UNSW (and struggling to find housing or childcare) and students who aren't interested in clubs but study and do nothing else on campus (with fewer and less experienced teachers) means that ultimately we all suffer. Clubs create Uni life, childcare helps us attract high quality research students, and housing means that students have an easier time coming here - all of which will impact on UNSW's graduate standing and your future job. Even though you might not directly use these things, they ultimately do impact upon you.

That being said, one of the big things that the Uni is doing over the next few years is upgrading the library (once the Law faculty moves into its big fancy expensive new building) - I have already been to a few of these meetings as Source President, and have been pushing for things like more computers, more group study space (and in particular group study space with computers) and generally a more study friendly space. There are many people in the Uni who think "why do we need more computers, in five years all students will have laptops", which I'm sure is exactly what people said five or ten years ago as well. This is why we need students on these bodies who know what they are doing and can stick up for students' interests.

OK so that ended up being a much more long winded answer to your question than I thought... hope it did explain it a bit. Don't worry though - I have been on campus long enough to know that buying off vested interests is not the way to involve students or make Uni better.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Kirstin, by any chance was your first degree a BA in politics or a related discipline?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)