• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

vote 1 babydoll (1 Viewer)

phrred

HSC
what makes UNSW teaching so poor compared to Syd Uni teaching?
And it recent years why has the popularity of USYD (esp with the white population) grown so much whilst UNSW diminished

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
phrred said:
Where did you get that idea from?
phrred said:
And it recent years why has the popularity of USYD (esp with the white population) grown so much whilst UNSW diminished
Where are your statistics?

ohne

HSC
I thought you were a medicine student for some reason.

kirstin hunter

HSC
I was - I did three years which was the science part. Med wasn't for me though and I transferred to law this year.

kirstin hunter

HSC
phrred said:
I don't know about the second part, but the teaching rankings I was referring to were published in (I think) The Australian last year. It forms part of the graduate assessment - when you graduate you fill in a survey asking all these questions about your course and stuff like that. They also consider a whole lot of other information and come up with rankings based on teaching, graduate employment, and anything else that they think is worth comparing.

For one of the "group of eight" UNSW doesn't rate so well. That's not to say that the quality of the teaching is less, necessarily, but that students don't rate it as highly, which (as I said above) can be influenced by a whole number of factors.

elfm

HSC
most (if not all) of my teachers are shit so i'd say those rankings are fairly accurate

phrred

HSC
redslert said:
Where did you get that idea from?

Where are your statistics?
The article Kirstin is referring too, i saw it too

Fall of UNSW courses in terms of UAI (demand) relative to Syd

elfm

HSC
phrred said:
The article Kirstin is referring too, i saw it too

Fall of UNSW courses in terms of UAI (demand) relative to Syd
that means nothing. unsw simply supplies more spots than sydney does with a lot of its courses.

phrred

HSC
are you sure?
they also have about 5000 more students (but also a couple more faculties)

elfm

HSC
for engineering this is definitely the case since our engineering faculty is the biggest in the southern hemisphere AFAIK so i'm assuming other faculties also offer a lot of positions compared to other unis

either way, we're not talking about the number of students here. we're talking about the number of positions offered, which greatly affects uais for courses such as engineering since they offer heaps more places than usyd does

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
but cutoffs a lower for commerce, economics, arts, science as well-- virtually everything

elfm

HSC
yea but who cares about those faculties :p

im just happy that engineering is atleast 85 now

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
OK Michael Pratt won, but thanks for the support anyway guy ~_~

elfm

HSC
yea sorry about that... i forgot to hand in the envelope.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
phrred said:
but cutoffs a lower for commerce, economics, arts, science as well-- virtually everything
There are more places as the uni needs more money.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Thank god for the international students and their sweet, sweet Hong Kong dollars they pour into UNSW. It means we can build cool things like the Star Wars cum Law building.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Bah, once this law building is finished (and the analytical center), they need to start putting more money into research. I say, the university has now fulfilled John Niland's dream of a modern looking campus fully, it's now time to get more mentions in the Sydney Morning Herald. There are far too many articles that mention all this garbage that the University of Sydney does, why can't that be UNSW? That's my view. More research $$$ = more publicity = higher prestige = more funding = more places = higher funding = more research = $$$ = higher prestige = more etc. etc. etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)