What do you do in Economics? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
If i picked Economics for year 11 and 12 (im in yr 10 atm).

What stuff do you learn?

Do i need a strong maths base?

Thanks =)

hannah92

HSC
economics i hard, maths is in alot of it its just a terribly hard subject to grasp your either good at itor not.

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
Global financial markets and trends, exchange rates, the law of supply and demand and other stuff i cant think of off the top of my head

maths isnt really that essential... there are formulas and stuff but its fairly straight forward...

i do general maths and understand eco so you dont have to be a maths nerd to get it

studentcheese

HSC
Does not contain a lot of Maths. You learn about Business, Consumers, Economies, the economics problem, etc. It's a bit like Commerce. Economics is a little boring...

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
economics i hard, maths is in alot of it its just a terribly hard subject to grasp your either good at itor not.
The HSC Economics course is absolutely basic, and as long as you have a vague sense of logic it will be simple. It contains almost no maths, but doing General Maths is advisable, as there is some equation balancing and applied algebra

Last edited by a moderator:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Wow. I find Economics easy, but a lot of people in my class find it disgustingly difficult. It also has quite a lot of maths, so far I've learnt stuff that requires differential calculus, as well as limits. The theory is not difficult per se, but applying it can be if you're not prepared for it. Id' advise that you have a decent maths base. Economics really helps explain a lot of what goes on in the world. it allows you to understand a lot of stuff better, and know stuff about the world you didnt know before. well that's my experience anyway.

Satiric

HSC
The main thing in economics is to grasp the concepts. After that its not that difficult. And yea, its very useful in life imo

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Wow. I find Economics easy, but a lot of people in my class find it disgustingly difficult. It also has quite a lot of maths, so far I've learnt stuff that requires differential calculus, as well as limits. The theory is not difficult per se, but applying it can be if you're not prepared for it. Id' advise that you have a decent maths base. Economics really helps explain a lot of what goes on in the world. it allows you to understand a lot of stuff better, and know stuff about the world you didnt know before. well that's my experience anyway.
Pray tell, where are these? I remember nothing of them in Economics.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Differential Calculus - Price Elasticity of Demand, Cross Elasticity, Income Elasticity. Also involved in calculation of MPC and MPS. All involve some variant of dy/dx.
Limits - The maximum amount of income is the limiting sum of the multiplier coefficient k and dY (change in income).

Also i forgot to add I've used basic co-ordinate geometry in Keynesian Cross Diagrams and locating inflationary/deflationary gaps.

This is what I have learnt in Prelim Economics that involves maths after about a term.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Differential Calculus - Price Elasticity of Demand, Cross Elasticity, Income Elasticity. Also involved in calculation of MPC and MPS. All involve some variant of dy/dx.
Limits - The maximum amount of income is the limiting sum of the multiplier coefficient k and dY (change in income).

Also i forgot to add I've used basic co-ordinate geometry in Keynesian Cross Diagrams and locating inflationary/deflationary gaps.

This is what I have learnt in Prelim Economics that involves maths after about a term.
lol.
I don't think your teacher has actually taught you anything that's in the syllabus or will ever be touched upon in the HSC exam. We never learnt all that crap. Unless you guys have a different syllabus, which is unlikely, as I only did mine last year.

SophJI

HSC

What stuff do you learn?

Thanks =)

Economics is hard for me
it's not a subject where you just memorise information and blah blah
you need to understand how it all works and apply economic concepts in your answers
i find that really hard
maybe it's just me..but meh
you don't need strong maths base..the formulas are basic and there are only few of them

duckcowhybrid

HSC
lol.
I don't think your teacher has actually taught you anything that's in the syllabus or will ever be touched upon in the HSC exam. We never learnt all that crap. Unless you guys have a different syllabus, which is unlikely, as I only did mine last year.
It's prelim for me atm. All my teacher has done is taken the basic Prelim course and jacked up the difficulty to Uni level in order to challenge the minds of James Ruse kids. This way, once HSC rolls around everything is dead easy. Also he's told us many times to not worry if we don't get it, as it's Uni level Economics.

absorber

HSC
It's prelim for me atm. All my teacher has done is taken the basic Prelim course and jacked up the difficulty to Uni level in order to challenge the minds of James Ruse kids. This way, once HSC rolls around everything is dead easy. Also he's told us many times to not worry if we don't get it, as it's Uni level Economics.
Fair enough, but perhaps you should've explained that because of this all that differentiation and maths isn't actually a part of the economics course. To do well you need to know very little maths...It's basically using a calculator, at least so far. You scared me there.

wildareal

HSC
Hi,
Economics involves a lot of wrote learning and summarising, and is basically a hyped up version of accounting or business management. There is no maths involved in VCE 1/2. We are currently studying various markets and also demand and supply graphs. If I could say one thing, that is, don't do it. It's extremely dry, and requires virtually no maths. It is basically trying to apply rules to something that changes everday-it is not an exact science like physics or chemistry and can be quite wishy-washy. I would think it would be better to do something like 20th century history as an alternative humanities.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC

What stuff do you learn?

Thanks =)

did u do commerce in yr9/10?
do you have a good sense of logic?[i.e understanding effects and flow ons and what-not.]
do you keep up with current economics? [global financial crisis etc etc]

@duckcowhybrid, man, jamesruse.. HEAVY! how much do you have to study and revise for that? are you able to keep a social life?

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A

lol.

We got taught pretty basic stuff - I can't have expected Northey to understand the deeper principles, let alone teach them to us.

tku336

HSC
grammar's never offered commerce, so people were unsure what to expect in eco.

there is about 60 marks in multiple choice and short answer of pure study and memorisation.

and 40 marks in the essays. in that respect its very very much like history, in the structure, evidence use and naming economists/historians. in fact you should always try and incorporate history INTO an economics essay.

its on this verge between science and humanty.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
We got taught pretty basic stuff - I can't have expected Northey to understand the deeper principles, let alone teach them to us.
Actually, after doing it in uni last week, I remembered that Northey did actually teach us the elasticity formula and use. But it was never examined by either her or the Board. She should change that.
And tell her to teach faster. I'm doing the Microeconomics 1 course and it's basically just the HSC course, except in only 12 weeks. It's still easy though. Fast = Good.
By the way, which little rat-bag were you? You're in year 12 this year, yes?

absorber

HSC
Hi,
Economics involves a lot of wrote learning and summarising, and is basically a hyped up version of accounting or business management. There is no maths involved in VCE 1/2. We are currently studying various markets and also demand and supply graphs. If I could say one thing, that is, don't do it. It's extremely dry, and requires virtually no maths. It is basically trying to apply rules to something that changes everday-it is not an exact science like physics or chemistry and can be quite wishy-washy. I would think it would be better to do something like 20th century history as an alternative humanities.
I wouldn't say economics is dry at all. I've learnt much more I can take away and apply to the real world than I could from Modern History (which I also enjoy).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)