What is so good about being a virgin? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Born Dancer said:
Why does life long partner and that kind of commitment only arise out of marriage for you? What about couples who have been in a relationship for decades but choose not to get married? You can hardly say that they are any less committed to eachother just because they are unmarried?

Again, why does security have to come from being in a married relationship and not any other form of lasting partnership? Stop generalising. Sure there are a lot of couples who do break up, but there are a lot who don't?

I dont think there is a problem with thinking you will stay forever and getting married later because I think that the longer you stay together with someone you will know whether or not you want to take the next step in marriage? It is hardly sensible to get married at sixteen or younger with your first bf just because you think youll be together forever because a lot of couples at that age and in their first relationships think that.

I'll add in here that there are some people who do manage to stay with their first partners and get married.

Um. Relationships can still fail after marriage? I love that you seem to think that marriage will make everything perfect and you will never encounter any problems and never divorce because you will be married. Ha! how naive. If you do get married and you encounter problems, what then? What about all the security? Do you continue in an unhappy marriage just because you value it as a concept?

I don't care that you want to abstain, but I get really annoyed with people who argue that having meaningful sex is equatable to marriage only and not lasting relationships outside of that. Why is it that so many people seem to think that 'true love' is something that arises once you get married? Don't people who get married do so because they love each other in the first place?
in short, totally. what they said. why cant people who arent married but have been together for years be in a trusting relationship? none of my friends want to get married. NONE. because they see it as a piece of paper, or a religious thing of which they are no part of.

ive had sex with my boyfriend, its 2 years now. first time was about 6 months into the relationship, because i felt i could fully trust him by then. and we are still going strong. having a sexual relationship doesnt 'ruin' people, if anything it makes you more aware of just how good a relationship can be.

helpful-nerd said:
people who choose to be virgin usually are more serious about love and can find a better partner because people take them more seriously.
i would think they are LESS serious about it, though they think otherwise. if theyve put sex up on that high a pedestal, then they have a lot to learn. theyll find out that its just something that is completely natural. its naive to think that by 'saving' yourself for one person you love them more than people who had sex prior to marriage. ha, if anything, people who dont go into marriage as a virgin are better off because they can (hopefully) pleasure their spouse more, and you can teach one another skills you picked up along the way (ha that sounds a bit dodge, like people just go around trading their sex skills lol).

and finally (ive been ranting, as you may have noticed),

evry1getscrewed said:
its just that if you have sex outside of marriage you have decided that you don't want/need the emotional support to have sex.
NO. WRONG. why does having a ring and piece of paper equal emotional support? it doesnt.

and, p.s.
scarybunny said:
The second you have sex you become a pregnant, diseased crack whore.

Fuck, Riet, don't you know ANYTHING?

lol.

HSC
panpeter said:
There are heaps of places in the bible where it says you shouldnt have sex before marriage, but since many people dont know the meaning of "fornication" they overlook it.
Cool provide chapter and verse because all I can see in the bible from reading it is that sex is apparently designed as a union between individuals. Don't see any mentions of it within marriage, tbh. Socially constructed situation AHOY.

Virginity as a 'virtue' came about because men didn't want to support offspring that wasn't theirs. As such, we valued virginity a while ago because it meant that all of the kids the woman bore were yours and as such could inherit all yo thangs.

That's it. Or, to bring in some french cunt:
“It is an infantile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge”

samtrotman

HSC
Virginity isn't inherently good or bad. It's ridiculous trying to say that someone is a better person or has a better life due to sexual activity (or lack there of). Rather than creating a false dichotomy, that virginity is either good or bad, why don't we look at the middle ground. The pros and cons for both sex and virginity.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
samtrotman said:
Virginity isn't inherently good or bad. It's ridiculous trying to say that someone is a better person or has a better life due to sexual activity (or lack there of). Rather than creating a false dichotomy, that virginity is either good or bad, why don't we look at the middle ground. The pros and cons for both sex and virginity.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA.

*bj*

HSC
What is so good about being a virgin?

You can still wonder what sex is like! :lol:

Apart from that.... not much.

A lot of guys prefer girls that are virgins... i guess its more of a 'rarity' thing as most chicks out there are whores.

Geoff Leonard

HSC
N/A
samtrotman said:

I can let you experience the good and the bad all at once.

first the fear.
then the pain.
then the pleasure.
then the silence.

samtrotman

HSC
EbonyTW said:
AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA.
Gee you're smart Eb. Like seriously you must do really well at school. Can I get some tutoring in Extension English? Drama? Advanced English? I think you could really help me out.

Pretentious.

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
Well, for one...you get free text and free calls to the same network, although their customer service is atrocious.

samtrotman

HSC
Knowingnothing said:
Well, for one...you get free text and free calls to the same network, although their customer service is atrocious.
Haha!!

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
Lauren x said:
I guess the question should also be "What is so good about not being a virgin?" Does it make people feel better knowing they're not part of the "uncool" group?

There will always be two sides. Those that think if you're a virgin then there must be something wrong with you. And those that think if you aren't then you must sleep around and are therefore slutty. It's all personal preference.

Does it really matter anyway?
yes 'm. especially in your case. we all await the day you finally tell us if youre a virgin or not.

panpeter

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Cool provide chapter and verse because all I can see in the bible from reading it is that sex is apparently designed as a union between individuals. Don't see any mentions of it within marriage, tbh. Socially constructed situation AHOY.

Virginity as a 'virtue' came about because men didn't want to support offspring that wasn't theirs. As such, we valued virginity a while ago because it meant that all of the kids the woman bore were yours and as such could inherit all yo thangs.

That's it. Or, to bring in some french cunt:
“It is an infantile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge”
one verse: 1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators (thats the word), nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

but it is important to note that right after that it says "and that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sactified,you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the spirit of our God" this is important to note because there is forgiveness and cleansing of sins for those who genuinely want it, for those who are sorry for what they have done and are willing to repent. "1 Peter 2:24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." So through this we can see that he took our sins away, everything that we have ever done wrong, so we can live without sin and ultimately go to heaven.

According to I CORINTHIANS 6:9-11:
(1) Fornicators shall not inherit the kingdom of God. This term refers to those who engage in sexual activity which God has declared sinful. He has not declared all sexual activity. In fact, He condones and even encourages lawful sexual activity according to His design and purpose (I CORINTHIANS 7:2-4; HEBREWS 13:4). Fornication refers to sexual activity outside of the marriage relationship between a man and a woman. It would include premarital as well as extramarital sexual relationships of whatever duration from a one night stand to an ongoing affair. Such activity was rampant in first century Corinth. It is rampant today in our own society. But it matters not how commonly it is practiced, it is still unrighteous and it will keep one from entering heaven.

[SIZE=-1]In Proverbs 5.15-17 from the Bible it says, ‘
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]You should be faithful to your wife, just as you take water from your own well. And don’t be like a stream from which just any woman can have a drink. Save yourself for your wife and don’t have sex with other women[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]‘.

then further:

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In 1 Corinthians 6.15-16 from the Bible it says, ‘[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Don’t you know that your bodies are part of the body of Christ? Is it right for me to join part of the body of Christ to a prostitute? No, it isn’t! Don’t you know that a man who does that becomes part of her body? The Scriptures say, “The two of them will be like one person”[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]‘.

considering

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In Mark 10.6-9 from the Bible it says, '[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]… in the beginning God made a man and a woman. That's why a man leaves his father and mother and gets married. He becomes like one person with his wife. Then they are no longer two people, but one. And no one should separate a couple that God has joined together[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]'.

that should be enough for now i guess, and thats a spread from basically all over the bible, so its not exactly up for interpretation in any way other than it states itself.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

sallyjean

HSC
it shows slef control
not having sex til you get married is awesome i recon
no emotional baggage(well thats what would happen to me anyway)
no stds
no unplanned pregnancys

i mean sure its hard
and i dont think it puts people above or below anyone else
its just a different way of living!
you cannot compare them
i mean even though
both types of people are human

its a wonderfull feeling by the way
being a virgin

and also its a great present for a husband
i mean look at all the crap stuff that you have to do in marriges
and the one thing that you get in them
is sex
pure sex!!!

no somebody please try to bite my head off
or scream your dissagreeance
or somthing

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
God people get defensive :rolleyes:

I started this thread with the simple question of the thread title looking to find out why people prized such a physical thing. There have been a lot of intangible and vague replies that gesture towards its "special-ness" but I still don't understand why people place such value on virginity or claim to be more "special" because they retain their virginity.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Like I saw someone else say before, the "pure and virtuous" part is generated by biblical belief. Once, the entire world was religious, and that is one part of the value system that is yet to be expelled. People who are more about right and wrong gloat about having kept their virginity, where some just want to save it to give to someone special, or wait for marriage.

Some hate the whole "slutty" image and the people who fit into that catagory, so they look down upon those in that image. It's just that classic notion about groups in society discriminating against others.

It mostly comes down to the persons personal belief system.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
panpeter said:
one verse: 1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators (thats the word), nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

but it is important to note that right after that it says "and that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sactified,you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the spirit of our God" this is important to note because there is forgiveness and cleansing of sins for those who genuinely want it, for those who are sorry for what they have done and are willing to repent. "1 Peter 2:24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." So through this we can see that he took our sins away, everything that we have ever done wrong, so we can live without sin and ultimately go to heaven.

According to I CORINTHIANS 6:9-11:
(1) Fornicators shall not inherit the kingdom of God. This term refers to those who engage in sexual activity which God has declared sinful. He has not declared all sexual activity. In fact, He condones and even encourages lawful sexual activity according to His design and purpose (I CORINTHIANS 7:2-4; HEBREWS 13:4). Fornication refers to sexual activity outside of the marriage relationship between a man and a woman. It would include premarital as well as extramarital sexual relationships of whatever duration from a one night stand to an ongoing affair. Such activity was rampant in first century Corinth. It is rampant today in our own society. But it matters not how commonly it is practiced, it is still unrighteous and it will keep one from entering heaven.

[SIZE=-1]In Proverbs 5.15-17 from the Bible it says, ‘
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]You should be faithful to your wife, just as you take water from your own well. And don’t be like a stream from which just any woman can have a drink. Save yourself for your wife and don’t have sex with other women[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]‘.

then further:

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In 1 Corinthians 6.15-16 from the Bible it says, ‘[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Don’t you know that your bodies are part of the body of Christ? Is it right for me to join part of the body of Christ to a prostitute? No, it isn’t! Don’t you know that a man who does that becomes part of her body? The Scriptures say, “The two of them will be like one person”[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]‘.

considering

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In Mark 10.6-9 from the Bible it says, '[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]… in the beginning God made a man and a woman. That's why a man leaves his father and mother and gets married. He becomes like one person with his wife. Then they are no longer two people, but one. And no one should separate a couple that God has joined together[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]'.

that should be enough for now i guess, and thats a spread from basically all over the bible, so its not exactly up for interpretation in any way other than it states itself.
[/SIZE]

Um half of those references are about adultery after marriage, not sex before marriage? and besides, they are almost all from paul? he was writing recommendations for Churches in far away places that were just beginning, this hasn't necessarily come straight from God

Geoff Leonard

HSC
N/A
virgins are like blank sheets of paper that i desire to spill my ink all over

red-butterfly

HSC
The virgins... does it always mean that they're pure and innocent? just because one lacks sextual experience doesn't always mean they're deprived of anything.

The sextualy active... does it always mean that one is a slut and a tramp (in the case of girls anyway) or easy? just because one isn't a virgin anymore doesnt make them any different exept for the experience aquired. yet when you think about it... 1st times arnt always the best experience...

but as someone said earlier... it is a double edged sword...(ahh... i'm contradicting myself :( )

panpeter

HSC
Born Dancer said:
Um half of those references are about adultery after marriage, not sex before marriage? and besides, they are almost all from paul? he was writing recommendations for Churches in far away places that were just beginning, this hasn't necessarily come straight from God
if you look again you might find that Paul didnt write the books of Mark, hebrews, or proverbs, plus proverbs is old testament. ie thousand of years older than Paul himself.

Ps the only one in the references that paul wrote was corinthians, and he makes it clear when it is his own opinion ie
1 Corinthians 7:10"To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord)...." he then changes to "To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord). so he obviously makes it clear when he is speaking and when he is relaying Gods words.

so unless the both of us believe the whole Bible is the word of God the whole argument is in vain. The whole Bible except that which Paul says is his own opinion, however i think that should also be considered as something to be followed as he speaks with wisdom and biblical common sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)