What jobs would a major in Psychological Science make available? (1 Viewer)

Politic

HSC
N/A
The major in Psychological Science talked about here http://courses.mq.edu.au/2012/Undergraduate/Major/Psychological+Science#CourseInfo says "a major in Psychological Science in either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science will provide a useful understanding of psychological principles and training in psychology for careers requiring an understanding of human behaviour". What are examples of such careers?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
The major in Psychological Science talked about here http://courses.mq.edu.au/2012/Undergraduate/Major/Psychological+Science#CourseInfo says "a major in Psychological Science in either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science will provide a useful understanding of psychological principles and training in psychology for careers requiring an understanding of human behaviour". What are examples of such careers?
Technically, an "understanding of human behaviour" is required in almost any job that will require some interaction with another human being. What kind of careers are you interested in? Or what kind of industry do you want to get into?

Will you be doing any other majors, and what degree do you want to do this major in?

Politic

HSC
N/A
Technically, an "understanding of human behaviour" is required in almost any job that will require some interaction with another human being. What kind of careers are you interested in? Or what kind of industry do you want to get into?

Will you be doing any other majors, and what degree do you want to do this major in?
At this stage I can only really say broad areas of interest such as creative careers, interested in the arts, psychology, law, politics, philosophy etc etc

And I don't think I will be doing another major.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
At this stage I can only really say broad areas of interest such as creative careers, interested in the arts, psychology, law, politics, philosophy etc etc

And I don't think I will be doing another major.
HR indeed, you can also consider media and marketing if you are inclined to creative careers.

Politic

HSC
N/A
HR indeed, you can also consider media and marketing if you are inclined to creative careers.
Just curious, why do you guys say HR? What creative jobs in media and marketing are there?

I haven't really been drawn to business/commerce/marketing. I like the psychological side of things, and like analytical jobs too which has led me to want to do psychology and law. The question is to what extent will i do psychology with law (assuming I do law). If I do the APAC-accredited psychology then I'll still want electives - so I'll probably extend the degree to 6 years. If I don't go with the APAC-accredited psychology course and do a Psychological Science major the degrees will go for the normal 5 years but the option of going into clinical psychology is gone.

I'm just finding it hard to reconcile my interests and ambitions with both psychology and law...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think the problem is that you haven't had much of a taste of the actual disciplines yet. It happens all the time that people might think they really enjoy something then get to uni and find out that they actually hate it or never even think they were into something else to find that they actually love it. Don't stress out about getting everything right straight up, it's silly to think you'd be able to plan your entire future at this point in your life, hell, im almost in my fourth year at uni and i'm only just starting to realise where my interests truly lie. Once you're in the system there is so much flexibility, you don't really need to reconcile your ambitions yet, just go with your gut feeling and once you're in take it from there :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Politic

HSC
N/A
I think the problem is that you haven't had much of a taste of the actual disciplines yet. It happens all the time that people might think they really enjoy something then get to uni and find out that they actually hate it or never even think they were into something else to find that they actually love it. Don't stress out about getting everything right straight up, it's silly to think you'd be able to plan your entire future at this point in your life, hell, im almost in my fourth year at uni and i'm only just starting to realise where my interests truly lie. Once you're in the system there is so much flexibility, you don't really need to reconcile your ambitions yet, just go with your gut feeling and once you're in take it from there :)
My gut feeling is that I could go either way. Your right, I don't have to totally reconcile them now but I gotta decide where to best start from to give me enough flexibility later on. I guess the B Arts (Psychology) / B Laws would give me this. If I don't like psychology enough i could just revert to B Arts (Psychological Science) / B Laws. And if I don't like law I could just revert to B Arts (Psychology). And if I like both I'll keep the double degree but extend it by a year to allow to do electives and get a more "rounded" education.

Thanks for that. That made me think.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
No matter where you start you will have flexibility so long as you keep up a decent GPA, there is no 'best place' in terms of providing you with flexibility later on. But you're essentially right, if you find something isn't for you, you are in no way obligated to continue with that program of study.

Politic

HSC
N/A
No matter where you start you will have flexibility so long as you keep up a decent GPA, there is no 'best place' in terms of providing you with flexibility later on. But you're essentially right, if you find something isn't for you, you are in no way obligated to continue with that program of study.
I guess what I meant is the best thing to do is to start off with the degree that covers the most bases then go from there. This is pretty stressful! haha

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I guess what I meant is the best thing to do is to start off with the degree that covers the most bases then go from there. This is pretty stressful! haha
Relax, have you been talking with others in your age group that are considering their options for uni? You'll probably find most of them are very mellow about this.

Oh, you might want to get some questions ready to bring to Info Day in January.

Politic

HSC
N/A
Relax, have you been talking with others in your age group that are considering their options for uni? You'll probably find most of them are very mellow about this.

Oh, you might want to get some questions ready to bring to Info Day in January.
Will do, and most of my friends have a better idea of what career they want haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)