What maths textbook are you using? (3 Viewers)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
I have maths in focus book 2

but ours is the shotty old black and white version

my friend who goes to another skool has maths in focus book 2 but his is in colour.

damn!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yours is just an older edition. There shouldn't be much difference. Nothing to worry about. :)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Last year I used Maths in Focus Margret Grove
that was a really bad book!

live.fast

HSC
N/A
All these books you're talking about are the real massive text books. You don't need em.

All you need is the Excel Study guides. That's it. Do one review exercise per chapter, and you should get along fine - the Excel books cover most (if not all) required parts of the syllabus, have actual PROPER full examples (without all the technical words or 1000's of graphs everywhere) and they have PROPER FULLY EXPLAINED SOLUTIONS. Thus, easier to learn from.

Unlike fitzpatrick (*cough cough NO ANSWERS 2 GRAPH DRAWING IN B.O.B*)
Unlike cambridge (*cough cough a gazillion pages filled with 'extra maths' for the people with no life*...)
Unlike Maths in Focus (*cough cough baby maths*)
Unlike Coroneus (*cough cough a gazillion pages where the words look live they've been typed up using a typewriter from the 80's, and hand drawn graphs that confuse even the nerdiest of nerds*)

Just get your Excel study guide. It's all you'll need.

=)

Last edited:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
live.fast said:
All these books you're talking about are the real massive text books. You don't need em.

All you need is the Excel Study guides. That's it. Do one review exercise per chapter, and you should get along fine - the Excel books cover most (if not all) required parts of the syllabus, have actual PROPER full examples (without all the technical words or 1000's of graphs everywhere) and they have PROPER FULLY EXPLAINED SOLUTIONS. Thus, easier to learn from.

Unlike fitzpatrick (*cough cough NO ANSWERS 2 GRAPH DRAWING IN B.O.B*)
Unlike cambridge (*cough cough a gazillion pages filled with 'extra maths' for the people with no life*...)
Unlike Maths in Focus (*cough cough baby maths*)
Unlike Coroneus (*cough cough a gazillion pages where the words look live they've been typed up using a typewriter from the 80's, and hand drawn graphs that confuse even the nerdiest of nerds*)

Just get your Excel study guide. It's all you'll need.

=)
you ...or at least i....use different books for different things.

personally i dont find any use buying excel, becoz the only reason i would buy it is for a summary of the theory part of maths ---> which i learn at school.

so whatever extra textbooks i buy/use i do so with the intention of practicing questions....

and thats where i find coroneos useful....skip the explanations (coz they're hard to understand anyway...) just do the questions.

& other books like cambridge/fitzpatrick (tho i havent used them) i'm sure can also be pretty good for their questions.

:)

cuppy

HSC
N/A
don't be discouraged from Maths in Focus. its not that bad is it? ok maybe the questions are quite straightforward and not as challenging as HSC style questions but maths is maths. not everyone is exactly striving for that high band 6. for many people passing maths is a joy in itself!

i managed to achieve a band 6 without even touching fitzpatrick or cambridge so i put it down to practice, practice, practice and asking quesitons if you're not sure or don't understand something.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
cuppy said:
don't be discouraged from Maths in Focus. its not that bad is it? ok maybe the questions are quite straightforward and not as challenging as HSC style questions but maths is maths. not everyone is exactly striving for that high band 6. for many people passing maths is a joy in itself!

i managed to achieve a band 6 without even touching fitzpatrick or cambridge so i put it down to practice, practice, practice and asking quesitons if you're not sure or don't understand something.
So buddy, did you attempt every question, every 2nd question ? Or what are your pattern of attempts ?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
We're using the Coroneous book

cuppy

HSC
N/A
f3nr15 said:
So buddy, did you attempt every question, every 2nd question ? Or what are your pattern of attempts ?
i started off doing every question but with some topics (eg simple differentiation and integration) i did every two questions. depends on how confident i was with the topic (eg i slaved away doing all of the questions on projectiles and simple harmonic motion and before long i knew them quite well)

the early probability questions in book 2 are a joke since they are as simple as u can get so i only picked out a few from each exercise and u can virtually just do em in your head and move on.

and i did the challenge exercises but towards the end of yr 12 i got lazy and just skipped them lol...but for revision id always ensure i got the 'test yourself' questions done since they throw in a bit of everything from the topic.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
We're using Maths in Focus, and I'm using Cambridge as a supplement

stevejobs

HSC
I have got maths in focus and signpost which the school provided, and i also have 2u 3u fitzpatrick because of the fabulous explanations. Also have cambridge 3u which my sister gave to me after her hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)