What should i do (1 Viewer)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
hmmm...i would go have a quiet chat with whoever is responsible for awarding the prizes, just to clear things up so that u can have some peace of mind. but if it doesn't end up well for you, i wouldn't worry too much about it:
1. its only yr11, and HSC year is so much more important, so don't let this get to you
2. try not to make getting dux or wotever your main driving force in achieving in your studies. if you think about it, its only a short-term, fairly superficial goal. try to aim to achieve to the best of your potential, and work hard for your future, not for a piece of paper or a book etc. if you can do that, then i would be very confident everything else will work out for the better.

i understand that you may be feeling rather cheated rite now (its just unfortunate that your friend received the prize), but say 5 years from now, you may look back on this and realise that in the whole scheme of things, it really dosn't mean that much. im sure u'll encounter many more difficulties and problems in the future.

definitely talk to someone and try to clear things up, but if nothing happens, just cop it on your chin and move on - resolve to be dux of your school. just don't be discouraged by this. :)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
I talked to them and i was correct .. i shouldve been awarded so i asked if i could share it.. but its so akward and everything -- anyways thanks for ur advice

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Well that ended nicely! I still can't believe your school doesn't have dux for yr12...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Epiphany
Well that ended nicely! I still can't believe your school doesn't have dux for yr12...
Maybe it does have Dux for Year 12, but Mazza was only talking about Dux for Year 11. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
yeah i asked to share it because they were gonna change it all publicly so yeah
that's really really cool, it doesn't have to eat away at your mind

congrats!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I would bring it up with a teacher you trust or can talk to easily and see what they think. You could possibly "share" the title with your friend, that would be fairer. I understand why you would be upset! Talk to a teacher about it and see what they think.

Edit: Oh... I only read your original post lol. I'm glad things worked out for you!

Last edited:

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Thankyou guys.. yeah everything worked out good, i was just soo upset and shattered when i didnt get it because i worked soo hard for it and i deserved it! the girl, my friend is pretty upset but the mistake was made and it wasnt my fault and she is still dux and everyone acknowledges that but i think shes a little bit disapointed also my principal kinda pointed out to her that i shouldve got it..not her! so yeah, my school wants to do it all publicly now and apologise for the mistake and say how there are two duxes etc. but i dont want it publicly its going humiliate her and the school and i dont wan anything public but they are "over ruling" me .. bastards! anyway thanks for ur help! xoxo

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
oh ps. i think we do have dux in year 12 but its not dux as such because this year they announced the dux of year 11 as dux of the school, i think the person with the highest UAI in year 12 gets put up on a board (well their name at least) im not too sure, but none the less thats wat im aiming for.. who said i was competitive?

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
There's nothing wrong with being a little competitive, and dux is a pretty good goal to aim for.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Does having a dux for each year put alot of pressure on you? I don't think I'd want that! Our school is tiny (less than 20 in yr11), so getting dux at my school would be nothing compared to city schools. And being you want so don't put too much pressure on urself

so true...i nearly died for i didnt get the DUX in yr 12...but thats wat all my teachers said 'dux won't get you into the course'....

Huy

HSC
N/A
Most of the time, being Dux of the College will get you into your desired course. :)

MoNNiE

HSC
even if there aren't that many people in your grade, dux is still a great achievement!

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Most of the time, being Dux of the College will get you into your desired course. :)
How do you figure that?
Do you mean that being dux means your UAI will be high enough to get into most courses?

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
How do you figure that?
Do you mean that being dux means your UAI will be high enough to get into most course?
Depends what school you are at and what course you want lol!

I got Dux at my school and I was stoked. I wasn't really aiming for it, I just wanted to do as well as I could... and things worked out quite well...

Just try your hardest. You can get dux without that being your aim... just try hard for yourself and things will fall in to place. My only aim this year was to try hard enough so that I didn't die from effort but I wouldn't look back and regret not trying hard enough in the HSC. I think I achieved that. *crosses fingers*

Huy

HSC
N/A
How do you figure that?
Do you mean that being dux means your UAI will be high enough to get into most courses?
Yes. :)
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Depends what school you are at and what course you want lol!
LOL! Well I was aware of this when I posted, and wrote "most of the time" instead of "100% of the time" as I couldn't guarantee that my post would apply, in all cases (and schools).

If you're the Dux, with a UAI of 98.2 (for example) and you wanted a course requiring 99.6 UAI, then of course, being Dux doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get your first preference. I figure that if you're the Dux (Year 12, I'm not talking about 11 :p) - then your academic achievement will be such that you'll be able to achieve the required UAI, subsequently 'topping' your cohort (form, grade, year) and you'll be able to 'do what you want' (and what you'd like).

You're right though braindrainedAsh, it depends on the school and on the student (the course they want). I should think that being the Dux of the College would mean that he (or she) knows his or her own 'predicted' UAI - or has a feeling, based on their marks and rankings and overall 'knowledge of the self'.

In most cases, the Dux of the College will be able to gain entrance into their first preference, depending on the school and, naturally, depending on how high they are aiming/which course and UAI. (Thanks braindrained! :))

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
why do people stress about dux so much? in reality, it doesnt make that much difference to anything. I mean, u can put it on your resume or whatever, but once you get to uni, no one really cares. Besides, if it s only year 11, then it matters even less.

our school dux was antisocial, you couldnt even have a proper conversation with her, she was one of those people who tells the teacher what to teach.

the people who go the all rounder awards, and most improved awards and the leadership awards were much nicer people and will go much further in life.
You shouldnt focus so much on just academics, there's much more to life.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think that's an unfair generalization of people who get dux. I certainly wouldn't consider myself anti-social. I also get involved in a lot of other things like community service, debating, etc. You can't make generalizations like that. It may have been the case for one year at your school but it doesn't make it true the majority of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)