What subjects should I pick for year 11 & 12? (1 Viewer)

layzeehbum

HSC
In year 11, i did:

eng (adv) - bcoz i lived in aust for more dan 5 years alreadi n so they wouldnt allow me do ESL (damn it) and my teacher said i should do advanced rather than standard

maths 2u - i always feel dat maths is a must coz u just need basic maths n general seems 2 be harder than 2u maths (i couldnt evn solved my friends' gen maths question back den...)

maths ext 1 - coz i was in the advanced class in year 10 n i passed the test 2 get into the ext class. very enjoyable =p

economics - basically bcoz the subject's scaling is pretty good, and the subjects is quite interesting... learning about our economy etc. i hate the reading newspapers part though =p

accounting - i heard from my cousin they are pretty easy 2 get high marks (like in band 5s n 6s). and u do the hsc in yr 11 so u hav 1 subject less 2 be worried about in yr 12. yr 12 accounting was such a bludge... dun bother turning up unless it's the exam...

chemistry - i sorta like chem in yr 10 so i decided 2 choose this subject.

physics - i need 2 choose one more subject n i dun wanna pick bio since its mostly memorising which im not reali good @. so im stuck wid phys.

in year 12, i did all the subjects above but i dropped chem. if you r reali reali good in maths (like getting 80% + in ur maths ext 1 exams) then i suggest u 2 take maths ext 2. note 2 self though that u hav 2 be reali committed 2 this subject.

overRun

HSC
Dont do biology do physics it will go well with ext 2 maths. It will make it easier for you. and plus biology doesnt scale as much(from my understading, may be wrong)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
though some mandatory pracs are quite insulting to one's intelligence.
Ahh yes... the experiments, I see what you mean

well currently I am enjoying physics, maybe because it has maths involved but chem is about 60% there.. getting a little better every lesson.. hopefully it's at 100% within a term.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
To be honest, its too early to decide on subjects because you dont have lines yet. That when it life gets interesting before you may have a list of subjects that dont fit on the lines; and depending on the school there may not be alot you can do.

Its only Feb/March your lines wont be released till like August or later. Enjoy the year before its all anyone ever talks about.

Schoey93

HSC
To be honest, its too early to decide on subjects because you dont have lines yet. That when it life gets interesting before you may have a list of subjects that dont fit on the lines; and depending on the school there may not be alot you can do.

Its only Feb/March your lines wont be released till like August or later. Enjoy the year before its all anyone ever talks about.
Wrong. Not all schools decide based on lines. lolz no offence, but it's rlly only the public schools that do this lines thingo. Private schools often say "pick your subjects FIRST, then we will make the timetable based on what you choose"... imo works much better.

Dnt wanna offend you or anything just thought that I should point that out.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Wrong. Not all schools decide based on lines. lolz no offence, but it's rlly only the public schools that do this lines thingo. Private schools often say "pick your subjects FIRST, then we will make the timetable based on what you choose"... imo works much better.

hey my school isn't private but they told us to pick our subjects first then they made the timetable based on our choices..to reduce the number of clashes..

soo ...yeah thought i would just say that not all public schools do that.

Schoey93

HSC
Actually Chemistry scales better than biology and physics and is generally the highest scaling science (though this does vary some years as scaling varies according to the performance of the cohort). If you don't believe me check the scaling reports. This being said though scaling should be considered it should never be the sole reason you choose a subject. No matter how well e.g. 4 Unit Maths scales a 40 will never scale up to a 99.

In terms of choosing subjects; think about the subjects that you enjoy (and thus will be willing to put effort into) and that you think you can do well in. Asking your teachers for advice is a good idea but not this early in the year. A lot can change within a year; for example I was completely decided (throughout Year 10) on doing no maths in Years 11 and 12; Now I do Extension II.
You still have a year to decide and will be inundated with extensive subject propaganda later on in the year so don't worry too much about it now.
Let me just take a moment to repeat a section of my school's subject selection handbook. "The only criteria for choosing a subject is that a students enjoys and/or can do well in that subject". Please, please don't make the next two schools years boring for yourself (@ OP) by choosing subjects based on the disrepute about scaling.

The reality is that most subjects scale down unless you score a raw mark of approx. 85+

It seems like common sense, really: choose subjects that you love, so then you will not always procrastinate, so then you will do well. Obviously if you can do 4 unit math do it, you might enjoy it, but it is definitely not for everyone. :)
- @ OP: hope this helps

Last edited:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC

uh WRONG.

Sorry I couldn't resist. I went to a public school, which is the only bit you got correct, which gave us the option of picking our subject then they chose the lines, except when you have 150ish people all trying to get their subjects your not guaranteed for everyone to get their subjects.

Im not sure how my current school got their lines because I only recieved the lines when they were released. But my subjects were perfect and I heard few complaints in comparison to my old school where the entire top class had major issues.

Another issue is that not all classes are guaranteed to run.

My entire point which applies to you to that dont worry or start thinking about subjects at this point because it doesnt really matter yet. Enjoy year 10 while it lasts.

studentcheese

HSC
Some schools restrict the number of students entering a certain subject based on numbers and student results.

Brontecat

HSC
honestly to let you truth heres a general idea for my subjects for year 11 & 12:
Maths Ext 2
Advanced English
Economics
Chemistry
Biology

The question is that im definitely not interested in modern history, or geography crap.... but the thing is everyone complains about maths consuming alot of time.... should i select maths ext 1 or ext 2.... but the thing is i want to really choose maths ext 2 as one unit will be dropped, and also people say its beneficial for the 1st year of alot of uni courses....

What courses and how many units of each course should I pick?

and secondly what courses are you guys doing?

I think 14 units for the prelim. then drop your worst one to have 12 in the HSC is best as it leaves your options open to help you achieve the best UAI that you possibly can.

YOUR SUBJECTS
If you dislike geography i would probably be a little bit wary of biology because so far i've been doing ecosystems and the field work is pretty similar to things u do in biology. Other than that i find that biology is a really good course, the concepts are easy to understand but it is sometimes so simple that it's challenging.

Advanced english is an excellent choice as the basic difference between advanced and standard is shakespeare and delving a little below the surface as opposed to looking at things at face value in standard.

I think that it's a good idea if you're doing well at maths to do EX2 because if you're struggling there's always the option of dropping down a level. EX2 is also a good course because it isn't just memorise this, it's about really understanding and learning maths, like why is this like this.

Chemistry is a great choice in terms of scaling but i'd like to warn you that year 11 chemistry is a big jump from year 9 and 10 chemistry, its a subject that will take a lot of work, but if you really love chem go for it.

Economics is another good choice, it's basically memorising things but i think that its a great course in terms of life skills, especially when our government is bringing us into a defecit i think that it'd be great to know what is really going on.

Overall you have a pretty good lot of subjects, it's diversified (humanities, english, maths & science) and is a decent amount of units. Good Luck. :D

MY SUBJECTS
In terms of my subjects i think Information Processes and Technology is a good course so far because its teaching me about how computers work, their role in society and about the applications which i think is important in a world where we are beginning to revolve around technology.

I'm also enjoying business studies and i think that it could really help me in the future, even though i have no idea what i want to do.

And as for SOR II i'm enjoying it, but wouldnt recommend taking it up unless you were serious about wanting to learn about the 5 major religions in an objective matter.

hope this helps, if u have anymore questions pm me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)