What to do next year! (1 Viewer)

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
I'm currently in a B Arts (which i'm definitely not staying in for next year), and was wondering if anyone does what i'm thinking about doing:

-Social Work
-Speech Pathology
-Primary Teaching

They are my three options, and i really don't know which to do! Such hard decisions!

Anyone got any advice?

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i don't do any of those degrees sorry..

but um, it's 'definitely' :eek:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
em_516 said:
i don't do any of those degrees sorry..

but um, it's 'definitely' :eek:
Lol.

3 years ago, my neighbour was really elated that he was going to the Sydney for Arts ("It's got the best Arts degree in Australia!"; "When I come out, I'm going to earn so much from writing!")

Now he stays at home and smokes cones.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Take into account which subjects you've done this year, which you may get credit for (eg, psych). You've taken a smart step by trying to talk to the people currently in those degrees, but also try and talk to people out there in the real world that are doing whatever now (primary teacher, speechie, social worker)...it would be best to talk to ones that have graduated from the Newcastle program, but if you can't find them, any uni would do.

umm, my only suggestion other than that is, if you're not into sciencey stuff (biomed), and think you'd be grossed out by playing with cadaver heads (head and neck anatomy), forget speech ;)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nessie_lee said:
I'm currently in a B Arts (which i'm definitely not staying in for next year), and was wondering if anyone does what i'm thinking about doing:

-Social Work
-Speech Pathology
-Primary Teaching

They are my three options, and i really don't know which to do! Such hard decisions!

Anyone got any advice?
Maybe you should choose the course that best suits you, instead of basing your decision on what a bunch of internet randoms say.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
also think how long u wanna be at uni
primary teaching is a longer degree cos its double, and a fair bit of effort too

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
dont do any of them, do engineering. Of course the fact that you havent done any of the courses yet might be a problem.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
nessie_lee said:
-Social Work
-Speech Pathology
-Primary Teaching
Speech Pathology- could you imagine yourself doing hubs courses, which include anatomy? It’s a pretty crazy degree.
Primary Teaching- even though SJ will try and convince you to do teaching, education courses are shocking. My girlfriend is doing 1004 and 1006 this semester and the stuff she has to do is insane. You would also despise linguistics as well as the teaching staff.
Social Work- this is your type of stuff. You did well in psych and soca and many of the courses in that degree follow that type of structure.

I reckon you should do social work, but in the end it comes down to what you want to do. As Jumb said don't be influenced by a bunch of random people over the internet.

Last edited:

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
agreed, but once you get over the first year shithouse crap bullshit (1004 and 1006) its lots of fun, really it is!

rific

HSC
PrincessSJ said:
agreed, but once you get over the first year shithouse crap bullshit (1004 and 1006) its lots of fun, really it is!
Completely agree. All first year EDUC courses are designed to scare people out of the degree so that the markers have less to mark in future, we always figured it was a lesson in practical teaching practices. Every thing else about the degree, up until 4th year, which I can't talk about yet, is quite enjoyable.

Saying that, I don't know much about the other degrees, I've run into some soc workers in LEGL codes, and they seemed to think it was a great course, as for the speech paths, I only know some of them are in one of my courses, no idea as to what they think of it. You should do the one you think you're most suited for, but always remember you can change degrees again and again.

HSC
go with what yopu will want to do for the rest of your life!!!! primary school teaching is a bludge, you only work school hours, BIG holidays and you get to teach kids how to paint and spell CAT lol.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
lil lelu said:
go with what yopu will want to do for the rest of your life!!!! primary school teaching is a bludge, you only work school hours, BIG holidays and you get to teach kids how to paint and spell CAT lol.
don't fucking come near me, i will murder you with a cattle prod.

you think teachers work 9-3 and thats it? that its a nice bludgy day and all they do is paint and spell cat? There is so much more to teacher my darling, if it were that easy, anyone could do it. I'm not spending four years at uni to learn how to teach kids to fingerpaint, I'm learning how i might have a postive influence on shaping the futures of dozens of young open minds..

before you start attacking teachers, take a real long hard look at what a teacher really does, and when you have an idea multiply it by 300 and you might be close..

then fuck off and dont ever join the teaching profession

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
lil lelu said:
that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard. you have no idea how much work they actually do.
edit- you got in before me sj :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)