What's uni like?? (1 Viewer)

jnney

lemon
HSC
Wow, sounds like there are a lot of int. students. Didnt know that. Cant wait for uni :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wow, sounds like there are a lot of int. students. Didnt know that. Cant wait for uni :)
It depends on the faculty as well. Some of the smaller ones have no internationals at all.

swizzler

Banned
HSC
Hey guys, just want your feedback on life at uni, I'm currently still stuck in high school..
any tips and comments are much appreciated :)
people who are socially inept do not seem to enjoy it.

they tend not to make any friends then decide uni is not friendly

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
internationals in your group are the worst. I had an international partner in this programming assignment, all he did was send back an email saying "very you smart".
I study Chinese. Internationals in group = Instant HD.

MysteryGenius

HSC
Hey guys, just want your feedback on life at uni, I'm currently still stuck in high school..
any tips and comments are much appreciated :)
Pretty great :D You finally get to focus on what you want to learn (most of the time) and make friends with similar interests

I can't wait to go to Uni and meet smart nerdy people!
I'm going to try and scab off $1 off everyone at each lecture. (Hopefully there's like 100 people per lecture)
People do this but with pens
ALL. THE. TIME.

from a free time point of view gr8

from a botheredness to do work.. not so gr8

the work comes pretty damn fast
Yeah and it's pretty easy to fall behind too.
Submission dates have a nasty habit of sneaking up on people >.>

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
i know you're trolling but native chinese speakers arent allowed to enrol in chinese courses, at least the elementary ones. i took chinese this semester and in the first week they decided for me that my speaking partner would be the fat, sweaty, stinky fellow (stunk like source rice and cheese, ugh) that sat in the corner. i talked to him, found out he was a native speaker doing this for easy marks. sent email to lecturer dobbing the guy in and never saw him again.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
i know you're trolling but native chinese speakers arent allowed to enrol in chinese courses, at least the elementary ones. i took chinese this semester and in the first week they decided for me that my speaking partner would be the fat, sweaty, stinky fellow (stunk like source rice and cheese, ugh) that sat in the corner. i talked to him, found out he was a native speaker doing this for easy marks. sent email to lecturer dobbing the guy in and never saw him again.
haha

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
so you're that cunt

powlmao

Banned
HSC
lol how bad is with International students??? do they literally all suck at english and leave with you all the work

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
lol how bad is with International students??? do they literally all suck at english and leave with you all the work
no, in one of my course atm, ACTL2002, ive been receiving regular help from an international (did group work with her last year, super smart, speaks perfect english) lol and on the other hand, in macro and fins2624 ive been paired up with local students who suck/know nothing or do nothing.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
no, in one of my course atm, ACTL2002, ive been receiving regular help from an international (did group work with her last year, super smart, speaks perfect english) lol and on the other hand, in macro and fins2624 ive been paired up with local students who suck/know nothing or do nothing.
I wanna do the same as you sorta, Economics and Applied Finance

I generally already do all the work with my assignment for groups now wandering how it differs

How is your course by the way

(is the international student asain?)

Deathless

HSC
Err... I'll try keep my post helpful and give 'valuable' insight. I would have found this thread useful when I was in high school and I actually have nothing better to do - poor old me (whenever I have nothing to go to or do, I go on BoS lol).

lol i'm guessing there are heaps of asians in uni huh? but apart from study and all that what's the social life like? lots of parties? events and such?
Uni is as good and as shit as you make it out to be.

There are quite a few international students. I'm not complaining though, because I have made quite a few friends from them and they have been nice to me.

There are a lot of 'parties' depending on what you view as a party. There are also a lot of 'uni social events' but I don't think people really attend them ~ I don't anyway. There are quite a few uni events with the various societies etc but again, I think only some people attend them. The people that I mainly hang out with haven't joined any clubs etc. So it really depends.

internationals in your group are the worst. I had an international partner in this programming assignment, all he did was send back an email saying "very you smart".
Various internationals slack off, do nothing and fail. Some do quite well. I've a few internationals friends and their part of the 'top' in the course. I think the internationals are 'better' in terms of group contribution in the maths-orientated subjects and worse in the arts/languages.

Yeah the internationals are hit or miss, in my degree about half are outgoing and try to be social, and try to talk to the english speaking guys, while the other half never speak to anyone except other asians.. Actually, i guess the same thing goes for Australians too.
Somehow I'm part of both worlds. I do find that the Chinese internationals clustering in big groups of other Chinese posing in 'gangster' wear are the worse in social communication though. I find the non-Chinese (Korean, Viet, Philippines etc) are more talkative to non-internationals.

people who are socially inept do not seem to enjoy it.

they tend not to make any friends then decide uni is not friendly
Uni isn't really friendly though... The staff are rude and a lot of the students in some of my courses are very excluding. Probably because I do a course which attracts all the uni weirdos.

i dont even go to uni! i am doing a diploma of beauty therapy!!!
You wasted my time on PM...

Not true for my uni. There's a pretty rigorous checking for Chinese background of people studying Chinese. People got kicked out in some of the classes. Same applies to a few other languages. Only flaw in the system is when someone is a local student but has a parent/background in a language i.e. some local ***nts with a Spanish background doing Spanish.

Pretty great :D You finally get to focus on what you want to learn (most of the time) and make friends with similar interests

People do this but with pens
ALL. THE. TIME.

Yeah and it's pretty easy to fall behind too.
Submission dates have a nasty habit of sneaking up on people >.>
And a final word of advice.

Drop a course before deadline if you start to find it boring or hard. That was one of my mistakes in continuing one of my courses... had to survive like 9 weeks. It wasn't hard and I still didn't go to lectures but it was torture sitting for the tutorials.

lychnobity

HSC
Uni is hard if you can't manage your time properly, ie balancing the amount of work with life. Generally, you have to cut down on procrastination, and do your uni work when you have to so that you have time for work, and a social life etc.

If you're a little shy and go to uni without knowing anyone there, just take the initiative to talk to people; they won't bite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)