When do you receive a call from BOS for state rankings? (2 Viewers)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Zephyrio said:
LOL at you two who are so anxious!
hahaha I'm beyond the point of being embarrassed about it. My family is making fun of my nerves and I just keep stressing.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lol.

I think the best thing would be NOT to expect a call. That way you don't get too stressed. I am not expecting a call for one. At least I should be getting a call from BoS about Distinction Course. I will take that as a consolation.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
lyounamu said:
lol.

I think the best thing would be NOT to expect a call. That way you don't get too stressed. I am not expecting a call for one. At least I should be getting a call from BoS about Distinction Course. I will take that as a consolation.
Good philosophy.
It's just hard not to expect one when all year, teachers at my school who have been HSC markers have built me up for it, saying i could easily get state ranks for a few subjects, etc etc... Not the best thing to do, because as you said, ranks are so hard to attain; I could just as easily NOT get one.

Zephyrio

HSC
Yeah, I don't think anyone should expect a call. :S The chances are quite slim, unless you're really really really brill.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Yeah, I don't think anyone should expect a call. :S The chances are quite slim, unless you're really really really brill.
Yeah, exactly. Now I am going to leave the house with no fear that I will miss The Call. Woo :p

dp624

HSC
Oh man i'm gna be so jumpy when the phone rings. To be honest i tihnk I have about a 30% chance of getting first in a subject. But aiya aiya

dp624

HSC
fallenstar said:
Yeah, exactly. Now I am going to leave the house with no fear that I will miss The Call. Woo :p
Register your mobile with them

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
dp624 said:
Register your mobile with them
I have, on Students Online. But it doesn't come up when I save. Is this the same for you? It just has a blank space where a phone number should be.

Zephyrio

HSC
Good Luck:

Namu: 2u
Fallenstar: Modern, Society And Culture, Extension History
Pham: 3u, Chemistry, Physics!

:}

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fallenstar said:
Good philosophy.
It's just hard not to expect one when all year, teachers at my school who have been HSC markers have built me up for it, saying i could easily get state ranks for a few subjects, etc etc... Not the best thing to do, because as you said, ranks are so hard to attain; I could just as easily NOT get one.
Yeah. But I belive there is a significant jump from the 1st rank and the rest of the ranks. I think luck comes into play. For subjects like English, you need to get a marker that conforms to your view, for subjects like Maths, you want markers who can mark properly.

For subjects like Maths, one or two marks can separate people getting a state rank and people who don't. And since I have a poor hand writing, I am quite certain that I could have lost marks if markers aren't satisfied with my writing (e.g. my 8 looks like 2 0s). And that's where my luck comes into play even though I am certain I got 120/120.

And rememeber, the phone call is only for the top rankers. Not getting a phone call today or on whatever date doesn't mean you didn't get a state rank. Who knows? You could have got state ranks for every subject, but not just first and it happens quite commonly thesedays when competition is quite fierce in basically every subject.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Good Luck:

Namu: 2u
Fallenstar: Modern, Society And Culture, Extension History
Pham: 3u, Chemistry, Physics!

:}
Thanks <3
Zeph: Modern, EE1/EE2, Advanced English (Bet you did better than you think ;) )

Zephyrio

HSC
Thanks star, but I'm sure I didn't. Getting good marks would be enough for me though.

Uhmmmm, yes, so guys I lost my studentsonline pin and will have to write a letter requesting it. lolololol unless I can find the letter of course.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah. But I belive there is a significant jump from the 1st rank and the rest of the ranks. I think luck comes into play. For subjects like English, you need to get a marker that conforms to your view, for subjects like Maths, you want markers who can mark properly.

For subjects like Maths, one or two marks can separate people getting a state rank and people who don't. And since I have a poor hand writing, I am quite certain that I could have lost marks if markers aren't satisfied with my writing (e.g. my 8 looks like 2 0s). And that's where my luck comes into play even though I am certain I got 120/120.

And rememeber, the phone call is only for the top rankers. Not getting a phone call today or on whatever date doesn't mean you didn't get a state rank. Who knows? You could have got state ranks for every subject, but not just first and it happens quite commonly thesedays when competition is quite fierce in basically every subject.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. And wow- I didn't realise Maths would require luck too - Bias in humanities is so prevalent, but to get a marker who isn't sure whether it's an 8 or an 0. Yikes. Wouldn't it go to another marker though if they were unsure?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fallenstar said:
Yeah, I see what you're saying. And wow- I didn't realise Maths would require luck too - Bias in humanities is so prevalent, but to get a marker who isn't sure whether it's an 8 or an 0. Yikes. Wouldn't it go to another marker though if they were unsure?
Yeah, because selecting state rank for maths is apparently quite screwed up.

About 8 thing, I don't know. I always lose marks for poor writing especially numbers. I lost tonnes of marks from my chemistry exam because I didn't write numbers properly. They apparently couldn't reat - but I think that's bullshit.

Same thing happened in yr 10. I lost 5 marks in the last paper because I didn't wirte 7 properly and 8 ...again,

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Thanks star, but I'm sure I didn't. Getting good marks would be enough for me though.

Uhmmmm, yes, so guys I lost my studentsonline pin and will have to write a letter requesting it. lolololol unless I can find the letter of course.
damndamndamn.
I thought that the Students Online pin isn't the same as HSC pin?

Zephyrio

HSC
Dw about it too much, cem told me that the markers try to be as fair as possible.

There is some bias in maths though. If you take the "long" route to an answer, some anal markers will give you zero marks. Pretty sure this doesn't happen in HSC, but namu why didn't you take care with your writing?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
What's our HSC pin?
it's 4 number thingo

Mine is **6*

About my writing? I tried my best but I write too fast! I don't know. If I am pumped for something, I just go full out and write heaps in very fast pace. That's why I managed to complete HSC in 1 hour 40-50 minutes for Mathematics. I fixed up some numbers along the way but I know that it wouldn't be completely sufficient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)