Which Engineering Course Are Pursuing Next Year? (1 Viewer)

Which one are you picking?

• Total voters

tashe

HSC
N/A
I finished biomedical engineering. The core subjects like maths, mechanics/physics, materials were good, but I was dissatisfied with the quality of education for my biomedical subjects, not to mention the severe lack of jobs.
I just want to ask:
1. Which university did you go to?
2. What did you major in?
3. Are you seeking a job oversea?

Thanks, hopefully that would help me with my decision.

MilkDrinker

HSC
Hi Guys,
I was thinking of going into Mechatronics and biomed double degree at unsw.
What do you guys think of that? Is there a good job outlook and all?
Thanks

ChillTime

HSC
I just want to ask:
1. Which university did you go to?
2. What did you major in?
3. Are you seeking a job oversea?

Thanks, hopefully that would help me with my decision.
No problems.

1. I did mechatronics at UNSW and transfered in 3rd year to USYD to do biomedical engineering (now complete). My uni career was quite drawn out because I was working a lot too. In hindsight, it would have been better to stay in mechatronics or just stick to pure mechanical engineering, as most of my friends from those majors have found jobs already (albeit with significant difficulty).

3. I have lost my passion for engineering during my "ordeal", I won't be seeking engineering work locally or abroad (at least for the time being). I will be doing an M Teach (secondary) next year so I can teach maths and science :). I am thankful that all my uni subjects have allowed me to teach in 2 high school faculties. At least I'll be training up the engineers of the future.

Last edited:

ChillTime

HSC
Hi Guys,
I was thinking of going into Mechatronics and biomed double degree at unsw.
What do you guys think of that? Is there a good job outlook and all?
Thanks
Nothing wrong with that, although there aren't many biomedical jobs in Australia so you'll just be doing that component 'for fun'. You might be better off doing single mechatronics, graduating in 4 years, and getting a 1 year head start for your career. Double degrees do very little to boost employability. 1 year can mean a lot by the way, if someone paid you $60K to NOT do a double degree, would you accept?

Last edited:

tashe

HSC
N/A
Nothing wrong with that, although there aren't many biomedical jobs in Australia so you'll just be doing that component 'for fun'.
This is a quote from UAC, page on the BE(...)/ME(biomed) degree at UNSW.
Bioinformatics/Biomedical Engineering: Reference software systems, data analysis systems in support of drug development, epidemiology, and tissue engineering, medical and healthcare informatics.

Chemical Engineering/Biomedical Engineering: Development of biomaterials, artificial organs, and drug delivery systems and related biocompatible technologies.

Computer Engineering/Biomedical Engineering: Medical imaging and clinical information systems, clinical decision support and expert systems, modelling of physiological systems and software design for specific medical applications.

Electrical Engineering/Biomedical Engineering: Electromedical systems, medical instrumentation, biomedical technology and analysis of physiological systems.

Mechanical Engineering/Biomedical Engineering: Orthopaedic devices, rehabilitation engineering, prosthetics, biomedical technologies and the development of biomaterials.

Mechatronic Engineering/Biomedical Engineering: Application of mechatronics to medicine, powered and 'intelligent' prosthetics, and mechanical functions of medical instrumentation.

Software Engineering/Biomedical Engineering: Medical diagnostic systems software, medical and healthcare informatics, database design, and implementation of embedded systems.

Telecommunications/Biomedical Engineering: Telemedicine application in remote areas, robotic surgery, medical databases and systems analysis, and distributed data systems for medical applications.
Do you think it's a poor decision to do BE(bioinformatics)/ME(biomedical) to find work as a tissue engineer in Australia?
I want to work in the research field (right now, I don't mind what aspect). Should I do a science degree instead?

Sounds like you've been through a lot. Oh wells, at least you're going to do a job (teaching) that you're passionate about.

Have fun with that, I'm passionate about teaching as well. That nice feeling you get when you put your effort into somebody else and they succeed.

Last edited:

ChillTime

HSC
Hi Tashe.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I'm talking as a result of my experiences. I said the same thing to one of my tuition students and steered her away from a biology degree.

To put it bluntly, I would not recommend any degree with the word "bio" in it. Australia does not do much cutting edge research in biology or medicine. I know 2 guys with PhDs in biology/medicine are they are not employed in medical research due to the lack of jobs. There are local jobs in biomedical engineering but far fewer than the number of graduates. Most of those jobs are in the USA and some countries in the EU.

Back when I finished high school, I was passionate about scientific research and improving the world. I watched numerous science documentaries and was mesmerised.

I did some medical research for my work experience, and for part of an honours thesis (I later quit this and started with a new supervisor). Reality did hit me, there are many cons to research despite the importance and prestige.

1. In the short term, there aren't many jobs in medical research, especially with government funding cuts
2. Research requires patience: a lot of reading of academic journals, a lot of failed experiments, a few dead end projects before you actually make a breakthrough.
3. Serious research roles above research assistant require PhDs (that's 4 years of tedious study).
4. Researchers are typically underpaid and overworked (60 hours per week shouldn't surprise you).

If research is your passion, go for it; otherwise, be practical and get a job with a profitable company. Your work might be mundane, but at least you'll have a decent salary and some time for family and friends. In the end, family and friends make you happy; a research project with a 20% success rate and negligible chance of a Nobel Prize does the opposite.

Should I do a science degree?

If you're doing mathematics or physics as a major, you're analytical skills will be useful for financial or risk analysis roles. Jobs in pure mathematics or physics are rare. There may be other good majors but biology and chemistry won't help much with getting a job unless you want to become a teacher.

Should I do an engineering degree?

If you have a knack for the technical things, yes. But focus on the foundation degrees like electrical, mechanical, mechatronics, software and civil. Nothing too specific (like naval or bioinformatics), because you'll be boxing yourself in when it comes to job seeking.

It's often better to talk to graduates and existing students, as some academics may spin a lot of BS to sell you the degree, hope this helps. I learnt the hard way, but in the end I found teaching. Best of luck with your choices, I hope they work out for you.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Should I do an engineering degree?

If you have a knack for the technical things, yes. But focus on the foundation degrees like electrical, mechanical, mechatronics, software and civil. Nothing too specific (like naval or bioinformatics), because you'll be boxing yourself in when it comes to job seeking.

It's often better to talk to graduates and existing students, as some academics may spin a lot of BS to sell you the degree, hope this helps. I learnt the hard way, but in the end I found teaching. Best of luck with your choices, I hope they work out for you.
Hi I just have one question:

If I do Chemical and Materials Science, will I be boxing myself in (Its a double major)?

ChillTime

HSC
Hi I just have one question:

If I do Chemical and Materials Science, will I be boxing myself in (Its a double major)?
I don't know actually, I'm not too familiar with these fields. I do recommend having a look at this Engineers Australia publication.

https://www.engineersaustralia.org....cal_overview_tenth_edition_september_2013.pdf

Page 57: drop in permanent visas granted to engineers (39% drop in for Chemical Engineers)
Page 87: the number of engineering jobs and vacancies have dropped from the peaks at mid 2008 and mid 2011.

The current job market doesn't necessarily reflect the market in 4 years' time, but 2013 is not a good time to be an engineering graduate. When industry talks about demand for engineers, they are referring to experienced engineers (5 years +), it's a tough market for graduates. So if you're going to do engineering, I recommend getting as much experience as possible while still in uni.

I also recommend taking at look at the UTS engineering program as proper industry experience is built into their 5 year engineering degree. The university will find an internship spot for you and that is extremely helpful.

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/eng/area/ug.html

I think "experience" is worth much more than the "prestige" of studying at a higher ranked uni.

Also, due to the versatility of an engineering degree, many graduates are able to find jobs in other sectors if they can't in engineering. So I do recommend an engineering degree if you love the material, but I also think it's important to have realistic expectations.

Last edited:

ayecee

HSC
I got accepted for guaranteed entry into UTS for Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering next year! Who will I be seeing there?

And although I'd be happy to work anywhere in the field, what do you guys reckon my odds of working in motorsport in Australia is? And what should I do to maximise my chances of doing so/getting a job in general?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't know actually, I'm not too familiar with these fields. I do recommend having a look at this Engineers Australia publication.

https://www.engineersaustralia.org....cal_overview_tenth_edition_september_2013.pdf

Page 57: drop in permanent visas granted to engineers (39% drop in for Chemical Engineers)
Page 87: the number of engineering jobs and vacancies have dropped from the peaks at mid 2008 and mid 2011.

The current job market doesn't necessarily reflect the market in 4 years' time, but 2013 is not a good time to be an engineering graduate. When industry talks about demand for engineers, they are referring to experienced engineers (5 years +), it's a tough market for graduates. So if you're going to do engineering, I recommend getting as much experience as possible while still in uni.

I also recommend taking at look at the UTS engineering program as proper industry experience is built into their 5 year engineering degree. The university will find an internship spot for you and that is extremely helpful.

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/eng/area/ug.html

I think "experience" is worth much more than the "prestige" of studying at a higher ranked uni.

Also, due to the versatility of an engineering degree, many graduates are able to find jobs in other sectors if they can't in engineering. So I do recommend an engineering degree if you love the material, but I also think it's important to have realistic expectations.
I was told by a student at UNSW representing Engineers Australia at a careers day that the Diploma is the same for other unis, except without the name. Apparently its the compulsory 60 day course which you do with any EA accredited course.

Well its either I do Materials Science with experience (and cash) and Chemical OR I do masters in electrical with a minor in either mat sci or chemical.

I prefer to do electrical, but I'm still interested in the other choice.

tashe

HSC
N/A
Thanks ChillTime. Very helpful. :)

ChillTime

HSC
I was told by a student at UNSW representing Engineers Australia at a careers day that the Diploma is the same for other unis, except without the name. Apparently its the compulsory 60 day course which you do with any EA accredited course.
At UTS, the university finds 2 lots of 6 month blocks of internships for you via their industry partnerships, which is equivalent to 1 year experience in industry. It's also integrated with their course work. Sometimes getting the regular 60 day internship is hard, so it really helps when the uni provides it for you.

Remember, when I said that graduates have trouble finding a job due to a lack of experience? 60 days is not enough.

EDIT: I stand corrected about UTS, they do not hand you the 2 x 6 month blocks of work experience, it's largely up to the students to find it. My point about companies being reluctant to hire graduates with little experience still stands. It's a catch 22 situation.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
At UTS, the university finds 2 lots of 6 month blocks of internships for you via their industry partnerships, which is equivalent to 1 year experience in industry. It's also integrated with their course work. Sometimes getting the regular 60 day internship is hard, so it really helps when the uni provides it for you.

Remember, when I said that graduates have trouble finding a job due to a lack of experience? 60 days is not enough.
I'll see how I go.

Thanks for the info!

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm torn between Civil Engineering, Software and Computer Science =(

I know that UNSW has the combined B.Engineering and Computer Science...but there are almost no electives if i do the combined..and there are so many interesting COMP electives that I want to do =(

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

I know that UNSW has the combined B.Engineering and Computer Science...but there are almost no electives if i do the combined..and there are so many interesting COMP electives that I want to do =(
you can still do engineering electives if you do a combined degree with engineering

Electives | Engineering

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i wanna do a bsc adv with major in computer science, or should i do computer eng?

ismeta

HSC
i wanna do a bsc adv with major in computer science, or should i do computer eng?
How interested are you in computer hardware? (note doing comp eng would require you to take quite a few elec units)

ismeta

HSC

Hm well what makes you want to do Civil?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)