• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is the best private school? have your say. (1 Viewer)

Which is the best private school?

• MLC School Sydney

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Trinity Grammar School

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Newington College

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Scots College

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • The Kings School

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Ascham

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Pymble Ladies\' College

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Abbotsleigh

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Knox Grammar School

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Ravenswood

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I used to play rugby when I was at Knox foir 3 years (against my own will of course). I mainly played tennis and cricket while there.

I agree with Kaseita that your parents pay ridiculous fees for little return. Even when I was there I noticed most people had tutors for each of their individual subjects. Just adds to the cost of education there.

Yeah, the waiting list for it is pretty long. Had to wait for 3 years to get in.

You could always have been a winger in a Knox rugby team kaseita? lol:D

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
Originally posted by Ultimate
I agree with Kaseita that your parents pay ridiculous fees for little return. Even when I was there I noticed most people had tutors for each of their individual subjects. Just adds to the cost of education there.
it totally depends tho. a lot of ppl don't have tutors and the ones that do probably think it's worth it

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if your rich would you probably do the same just for the sake of it - paying ridiculous fees

btw i should start a thread about the normal/usually poorer public schools, who seem to be left out ...

SPX

Maybe they are boofheads but i really do enjoy watching the big teams of the richet schools pouring all their resources into getting the best team to win the trophy. Look at how much Joeys and Kings care, same with Riverview. I think Knox could compete with them...recently our school has become more about soccer than anything else. Knox isn't much into soccer I think...we beat you guys 6-0 or somethin.

kaseita

I'm not sure whether our school will be that great in sports later on...they seem to be having this "importing campaign" to get all the bright kids - turning a little into a selective school I guess, something like sydney grammar. They're making all these programs to attract all the rich, or clever kids, so I think you'll find that whilst they do still have an emphasis on sport, the performance of knox will deteriorate over time, since there is a lessening emphasis on it.

and you know what? I just found out last night at speech night where all my money went, lol. 46 million bucks to "refurnish" the school, and 110 million for our prep school for the next 7yrs or so...that is insane...and they STILL won't have air cons!

it'll look all nice and pretty though....and old/traditional since they're basing it all on the old design of the original school.

chait

haven't had our speech night yet.. have to wait til next thurs (12th dec).. :( are we the only school which rehearsed speech night?

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
We have our speech night next wednesday. I don't have to go to a rehearsal
seems like your school's the only one chait

kaseita

our guys apparently rehearsed for speech night (apart from the prize winners) but the night was so funny, cause no one could stay still, and there were these moments where only half the 'performers' were doing what they were meant to!

they did get all the prizewinners confused though. They're meant to go in year groups to the front, and then when they're name is called, leave the line and get their prize. Some teachers were saying that you had to go in alphabetical order, others to stay in "prize-giving" order. In the end no one cared and just went up in good ol'yr12 disorderly manner.

chait

there's only rehearsal for prize winners now.. the whole school rehearsing just seemed a waste of a day.. every yr we had to practice sitting down and standing up, hymns etc.. the school captain also used to have to practice standing the school (it has to be done in the right way).. if she couldn't get it right then it was more pain for us.. the only good thing was that we were dismissed in the city so we could head to yum cha :)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Speech Night is the most contrived event at our school...I'm with you chait on the yum cha... ;)

I reckon utopian that you guys have it better because you are excommunicated from the school before your HSC. It's better than having to stick around until the results are released to officially say goodbye.

and then there's the horrendous job of getting christmas presents ready before then...

kaseita

yada yeesh ultimate, what's the deal! you've almost got as many posts as me!!! get out of the house and do something else, lol. your freaking me out here!

aaawww, I wish we'd had ours in the city. the yum cha there is always good!
except last time we went, we tried to find some place to have dinner after the night and nothing was open :(

hey utopian, is that speech day for just yr12s, or for the whole school? cause I don't figure that your school would've finished final exams for the rest of the school by then...and so can't really give prizes out for the other years

kaseita

that's a weird system
so what, everyone has their final exams in third term? and then start the next year in fourth term/last term of the year?

how does that work :confused:
if you started it in yr7, then the yr7s would only have 3/4s of a year to do their course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)