Who else is having trouble finishing writing notes? (1 Viewer)

ben

Is it just me or it impossible to actually write detailed notes for EVERY TOPIC in EVERY SUBJECT you do?

Yes, i "should have" been writing notes as I went - but that's pretty hard with assessments and a life.

But for the past several weeks I've just been doing notes - no past papers (except maths) or anything. But like, I'm about to give up (on writing notes) because there is just no way I'll finish them before each exam - I'm probably better just doing questions and using my textbook!

The only subject I finished writing notes on is Business studies (but no notes on case studies yet).

English 2/4 topics
DT 2/6 sections
Physics 1/4 topics
Ancient 1/4 topics

Jellymonsta

i am just making reference sheets for the parts of courses i have trouble with, and working off that. when i feel confident about the whole course, i do a trial or set of essays/creative tasks. then i focus on the bits that i did badly in that.
personally i think it is too late to go about writing up detailed notes. you wont really have time to learn that much from them, and its a lot of effort when you wont need them in 5 weeks.
i reckon its better just to find your weak spots, and work on them.

ben

Originally posted by Jellymonsta
i am just making reference sheets for the parts of courses i have trouble with, and working off that. when i feel confident about the whole course, i do a trial or set of essays/creative tasks. then i focus on the bits that i did badly in that.
personally i think it is too late to go about writing up detailed notes. you wont really have time to learn that much from them, and its a lot of effort when you wont need them in 5 weeks.
i reckon its better just to find your weak spots, and work on them.
Your probably right - although i am learning/revising as i go which is the only reason i'm still writing notes.

I'll force my self to stop after tomorrow and then just do practice and focus.

stressed02

Ben...
I'm also still writing notes... and i'm SO not going to finish them.. so yeah i'm in the same position, like i dont know if i should stop writing them and do practice papers or what...
i'm also doing DT and ancient like you... how HARD is it to study for ancient?? my gosh i haven't even started really.. all i have are the notes from the trials... i have typed so far like over 300 pages of ancient... and i'm no where near done..
anyway, good luck.

Jellymonsta

Ancient? Hard to study for?
i find it the easiest to study for. All you need is the basic elements of your modules, some appropriate sources and a high b/s factor. marks are basically given on the basis of how much detail (including references to historians) you can cram into an essay, while keeping your essay concise
and i'd definitely say 300+ pages typed is too much for notes... thats bigger than half my textbooks are!

Christine

beige member
HSC
I have a theory - if i don't write my notes a couple of days for the exam i fail....

so i have come up w/ a foolproof plan.

All my worksheets, class notes & whatever i've bothered to sumarise all gets put into a display folder then a few days b4 the exam i summarise and summarise and summarise except for english cause i either know it or i don't!!

as for past papers for every topic i've written past essay questions etc and as opposed to writing essays i write essay plans.

it works reasonably well for me...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
i had given up on more notes, and started relying on head... not good idea... *pain in head*

As far as I know, this entire site's my notes now (plus HSC Online, the books, and the syllabus itself).

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
i had given up on more notes, and started relying on head... not good idea... *pain in head*

As far as I know, this entire site's my notes now (plus HSC Online, the books, and the syllabus itself).
What about your infalible chem-text-organised-notes ?

kaseita

I finished my summaries/charts before the trials, so I could use them to study for the trials.
some topics/sections, I deliberately didn't do any summaries or notes for, because the textbook was quite concise already. I just crossed out the parts that weren't necessary, inside my textbook.
all of them are on my comp, so they're easily accessible.
but if you guys want notes, there's already a coupla million on here! why not just leech those? it'll save you much more time.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
its better to do your own notes though..something that u can personally understand

I finished writing around 100 pages of Physics notes on the weekend...every syllabus dot point covered...(like i'll remember all of it though..)

dissonance

yeah, I'm a note writer as well. The fact I've been bogged down writing modern history notes for the past 5 days doesn't augor (sp?) well for the rest of my subjects. I've done all the notes for my other subjects, just haven't had time to look over them much or do any practice repsonses --- which I'm sure would at least gimmie a little more peace of mind!

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
i've never made a note whatsoever, but since next year i only have 3 subjects i might. Are they really useful? I don't see myself writing what already exists in a textbook :p

kaseita

I didn't used to either. I did summary for one topic for ecos, 3 for eng, 3 for phys, and religion.
they are quite useful I find. I don't have to keep going back to the textbook, for one thing, and all the important stuff is there.

I finished writing around 100 pages of Physics notes on the weekend...every syllabus dot point covered...(like i'll remember all of it though..)
yeesh! my notes in total for phys, are around 15pgs! but then, I didn't try to cover every syllabus point. only put in the stuff that I knew i was going to forget, so my summaries are much smaller.

ben

Originally posted by stressed02
Ben...
I'm also still writing notes... and i'm SO not going to finish them.. so yeah i'm in the same position, like i dont know if i should stop writing them and do practice papers or what...
i'm also doing DT and ancient like you... how HARD is it to study for ancient?? my gosh i haven't even started really.. all i have are the notes from the trials... i have typed so far like over 300 pages of ancient... and i'm no where near done..
anyway, good luck.
OMG - 300! For ancient I have 17 pages typed up on my personality and about 20 for society (but i haven't finished).

I know that typing up notes for periods will be impossible - so I'm not going to start!

DT I have nearly finished, it will probably be 40 or so pages in total typed. I didn't know the DT course was soo long until I started going through each individual dot point.

I'm glad someone is in the same dilemma! :D

ben

Originally posted by Jellymonsta
Ancient? Hard to study for?
i find it the easiest to study for. All you need is the basic elements of your modules, some appropriate sources and a high b/s factor. marks are basically given on the basis of how much detail (including references to historians) you can cram into an essay, while keeping your essay concise
and i'd definitely say 300+ pages typed is too much for notes... thats bigger than half my textbooks are!
I disagree! You also need to be able to think up an argument... then basic elements, sources, bs...

ben

Re: Re: Who else is having trouble finishing writing notes?

Originally posted by AcCeSs-DeNieD
........my english notes are rather nonexistent because I just do not know what to write noties about ...... I need so much help its almost embarassing...=P
Yeah - my english ones are all over the place. E.g. for Frontline - do i organise information into tecniques? episodes? themes?

ben

Originally posted by Christine
I have a theory - if i don't write my notes a couple of days for the exam i fail....

so i have come up w/ a foolproof plan.... yada yada yada
Not a bad idea. The day before the exam I always do mindmaps from my notes - otherwise I don't remember anything!

ben

Originally posted by MinAi
its better to do your own notes though..something that u can personally understand

Could you please send them to me? From this thread I'm sure you can understand why!! :p I sent you a PM thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)