Votes: 33 38.4%
  • i dont give a shit

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Whilst I fashion myself as somewhat of a Libertarian (Until the issues of Scarcity are dealt with), I'd support the Greens because I feel that social liberalisation will lead to economic liberalisation far more likely than economic liberalisation would lead to social liberalisation.

Again, it's a point of contention, and I'm sure you could make an argument either way, but I feel we are fairly free economically in Australia, but nowhere near as socially free as I'd like.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Though there may be some party policies you disagree with, It's completely irrational to hate all green politics.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Though there may be some party policies you disagree with, It's completely irrational to hate all green politics.
Drug liberalisation; recognising rights; promoting rights; opposing censorship. These are good things.

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
I thought this thread was about vegetables!!!
god damn it, be more explanitary :wave: lol... anyway....

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Captain Hero said:
Drug liberalisation; recognising rights; promoting rights; opposing censorship. These are good things.
Any sane person should be concerned with sustainability, particularly water and land management reform.

The major parties are too sensitive to the lobbying of farmers, in allowing the continuation of destructive and unprofitiable farming practices. Shut it down.

Also energy crisis, though the greens current policies are shit. We need nuclear green philosophy aka. lovelock in combination with geothermal.

poWerdrY

HSC
Graney said:
Any sane person should be concerned with sustainability, particularly water and land management reform.

The major parties are too sensitive to the lobbying of farmers, in allowing the continuation of destructive and unprofitiable farming practices. Shut it down.

Also energy crisis, though the greens current policies are shit. We need nuclear green philosophy aka. lovelock in combination with geothermal.
+1000

nuclear energy is the SHITS!

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
We sure as fuck shouldn't be growing rice in Australia, for a start. We should stick to what we're good at - wheat.

But yeah, if I had to name a single Greens policy I disagree with, it'd be their opposition to nuclear energy. There's no scientific basis for it - it's safe as fuck these days; we're not a third world country in the Middle East using dirty fuel with 30 year old reactors and unskilled technicians.

walkahz

HSC
Bloody greens! They cause racetracks and other good things to close and force emisions restrictions.
We need nuclear power too but no no no thats not safe apparantly.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Seconded. I wasn't that hot on Geothermal till I did some research. Nuclear is a great stopgap but Geothermal is going to power the world within 50 years. Currently with feasible estimates we can pull 4 ZJ (Zetta Joules - 10^21 Joules, it's a lot) out of the earth in total per year.

We've used a grand total of 0.5 ZJ in total over the whole period of humanity. Kinda nuts.

EDIT: Pebble bed and fast breeder reactors are the best things out. Nuclear waste management is so safe, particularly with fast breeder reactors (You get about 0.0000000005% of your main fissile pile back as waste after 50,000 years. Yeah, that's right 50 kiloyears.)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Captain Hero said:
Whilst I fashion myself as somewhat of a Libertarian (Until the issues of Scarcity are dealt with), I'd support the Greens because I feel that social liberalisation will lead to economic liberalisation far more likely than economic liberalisation would lead to social liberalisation.

Again, it's a point of contention, and I'm sure you could make an argument either way, but I feel we are fairly free economically in Australia, but nowhere near as socially free as I'd like.
I agree.

walkahz

HSC
Trefoil said:
We sure as fuck shouldn't be growing rice in Australia, for a start. We should stick to what we're good at - wheat.
Thats for sure, Cotton should also go. Stupid water wasting farming which produces products which arn't neccisarily as good as those from overseas.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Captain Hero said:
Seconded. I wasn't that hot on Geothermal till I did some research. Nuclear is a great stopgap but Geothermal is going to power the world within 50 years. Currently with feasible estimates we can pull 4 ZJ (Zetta Joules - 10^21 Joules, it's a lot) out of the earth in total per year.

We've used a grand total of 0.5 ZJ in total over the whole period of humanity. Kinda nuts.
I'm not too hot on geothermal (har har). Solar and wind are infinitely sustainable. Geothermal not as much (most types 'run out' after they've been taped for a few decades). Solar and wind also seem to have higher potential considering they are based purely off the sun and can be applied almost anywhere.

Of course, geothermal certainly has its place, though. But I see it as more of a stopgap. Hot Dry Rock technology is pretty sweet, and I like the way New Zealand and Iceland harness geothermal.

Of all things though, biofuels seem kind of stupid. Only biofuels based off waste products make sense (includes algae and molasses). Any dedicated biofuel crop based off phosphate fertiliser seems terribly doomed. It is not sustainable even in the short term because it reduces food availability through competition for crop lands and fertiliser (specifically phosphate).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Sugar and all those other shithouse industries that only survive on huge subsidies.

The biggest potential geothermal site in Australia, located in the Cooper Pedy basin, holds about 8000 petajoules potential.

They are planning to invest in sequestering carbon emissions in this same location Wtf you cunts.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Trefoil said:
I'm not too hot on geothermal (har har). Solar and wind are infinitely sustainable. Geothermal not as much (most types 'run out' after they've been taped for a few decades).
20'000 petajoules in sites for serious potential geothermal energy plants in Australia. That's a fuckload.

Unlike wind, solar, which are sham future technologies, the technology for clean, cheap geothermal exists now.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Trefoil said:
I'm not too hot on geothermal (har har). Solar and wind are infinitely sustainable. Geothermal not as much (most types 'run out' after they've been taped for a few decades). Solar and wind also seem to have higher potential considering they are based purely off the sun and can be applied almost anywhere.

Of course, geothermal certainly has its place, though. But I see it as more of a stopgap. Hot Dry Rock technology is pretty sweet, and I like the way New Zealand and Iceland harness geothermal.

Of all things though, biofuels seem kind of stupid. Only biofuels based off waste products make sense (includes algae and molasses). Any dedicated biofuel crop based off phosphate fertiliser seems terribly doomed. It is not sustainable even in the short term because it reduces food availability through competition for crop lands and fertiliser (specifically phosphate).
Average solar flux on the ground is about 700 W/m2. Average solar panel efficiency is about 20%. Average coal plant puts out, say, 5 billion kW-hr/year.

You can do the maths.

Oh yeah, viable energy storage for solar (such as batteries) don't exist and probably won't exist unless better batteries are discovered.

Last edited:

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
I like the colour green, but the political party does nothing for me, even though i dont give a shit about politics

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Average solar flux on the ground is about 700 W/m2. Average solar panel efficiency is about 20%. Average coal plant puts out, say, 5 billion kW-hr/year.

You can do the maths.

Oh yeah, viable energy storage for solar (such as batteries) don't exist and probably won't exist unless better batteries are discovered.
They were trying some epic water storage system in SA but I don't know how it's panned out.

I don't think electrochemical storage will hold up for such a vast amount of electricity.

OMG I KNO LETS GET SUM HUEG CAPACITORZ N STOR POWR DERE RITE?

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Sugar and all those other shithouse industries that only survive on huge subsidies.

The biggest potential geothermal site in Australia, located in the Cooper Pedy basin, holds about 8000 petajoules potential.

They are planning to invest in sequestering carbon emissions in this same location Wtf you cunts.
Whoa; that's a bunch of joules. Retarded government plans. EMAIL YOUR GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS TO REGISTER YOUR DISCONTENT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)