Votes: 33 38.4%
  • i dont give a shit

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters

Lentern

HSC
joseph777 said:
The Greens: green on the outside but red on the inside. :headbang:
Oh well done you can quote Steve Fielding quoting Fred Nile quoting John Anderson.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Trefoil said:
For those who for some reason think solar power isn't competitive in the market: you'd be wrong.
That's four years away, if not more. Great technology, but it's still not currently competitive.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
That particular technology is at most 4 years away, but it's one element of a popular industry which has many potentially competitive research products as well as currently competitive market products.

Id est: many forms of photovoltaics are already market competitive (and many are not). Any all inclusive claims about solar not being competitive are thus delusional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaics#Grid_parity

Last edited:

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Trefoil said:
That particular technology is at most 4 years away, but it's one element of a popular industry which has many potentially competitive research products as well as currently competitive market products.

Id est: many forms of photovoltaics are already market competitive (and many are not). Any all inclusive claims about solar not being competitive are thus delusional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaics#Grid_parity
Pretty sure JB_NC posted a full lifecycle carbon output and photovoltaics are hell of bad in that regard.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
That's a pretty (scientifically) weak claim to make considering the various PV technologies differ significantly in their manufacturing processes and thus initial carbon output.

Again, I don't put much faith in all inclusive denouncements of solar, not least of all because of the above reason (huge variety - maybe some are, maybe some aren't).

So until he reposts his hopefully well sourced CO2 output claims, I'll have to refer to this, which says otherwise:

Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions [for photovoltaics] are now in the range of 25-32 g/kWh and this could decrease to 15 g/kWh in the future. For comparison, a combined cycle gas-fired power plant emits some 400 g/kWh and a coal-fired power plant 915 g/kWh and with carbon capture and storage some 200 g/kWh. Only nuclear power and wind are better, emitting 6-25 g/kWh and 11 g/kWh on average. Using renewable energy sources in manufacturing and transportation would further drop photovoltaic emissions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaics#Greenhouse_gases

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)