Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (1 Viewer)

q3thefish

HSC
because there is no such thing as "god"...its pretty darn obvious...if i said i saw a leprachaun would you believe me? no because its a creation from a folktale...and so is "god"...just because its written doesnt make it true...the bible is the best selling fictional novel ever...and its a boring story
I'm not Christian but who are you to say that God does not exist and that it's obvious that he does not exist?

You seem pretty adamant in your views but I get the impression that for you, seeing is believing?

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
because there is no such thing as "god"...its pretty darn obvious...if i said i saw a leprachaun would you believe me? no because its a creation from a folktale...and so is "god"...just because its written doesnt make it true...the bible is the best selling fictional novel ever...and its a boring story
/facepalm

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I dont understand this criticism. We live in a democracy and our laws reflect the will of the majority.
If our laws truly reflected the will of the majority, abortion and euthanasia would be legalized.

And the death penalty.

Overwhelming support for these policies.

Abiloey

HSC
If our laws truly reflected the will of the majority, abortion and euthanasia would be legalized.

And the death penalty.

Overwhelming public support?
I guess more people don't want them to be legalised.
They just don't voice their opinions as loud

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Isn't this only in the context of time? As before implies a certain time-frame. Look up quantum fluctuations, only a theory but sounds pretty valid.
A foetus's right to live overrules a woman's dignity.
I thought the Christian view was that only God has the right to judge whether a person lives or not. Wouldn't that mean that they'd be against the death penalty?
Just Speculating.
1st point: Exactly, but because we are talking about time in the context of universe "before" is meaningless. Let's not get hung up on this though. My only point with it was that if the universe can't just exist, why can god?

2: Even if you count a foetus as alive, why does it override the woman's right to determine her own life?

3: You'd think so, but no. The United states being a prime example.

Ryan-91

HSC
People do not believe in God because it is written, they believe because they have hope. Rather than enforce my opinion upon you, I will give you something to think about. If Christians are right or any other religion for that matter - we will go to heaven, we will live forever in paradise. You on the other hand will go to hell living in damnation. If you are right, however, we are not out anywhere. We still die the same as you. I personally don't see the risk in being Christian or any other religion.

I suggest you read Dante's Divine Comedy to determine whether the gamble you are making is really worth it. Yes, it may be fictional but by god was he a brilliant little monk or what.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

And the death penalty.

Even if that's true (and I doubt it) youre still only arguing with the political process. Vote for someone else? Lobby parties for change? Change parties from within? Mek ur own? This half-baked idea of a Christian conspiracy to stifle democracy is lolable

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Overwhelming public support?
I guess more people don't want them to be legalised.
They just don't voice their opinions as loud
Independent polling show almost 80% of Australians want euthanasia legalized, and only 4% of Australians oppose abortion under all circumstances (it is currently criminalized under all circumstances).

Euthanasia
http://www.abc.n et.au/news/stories/2009/05/25/2579684.htm

http://www.abc.n et.au/news/politics/2002/07/item20020723142705_1.htm

Abortion
http://www.lifenews.c om/int1337.html

Links intentionally broken, because BOS hyperlinks aren't working atm, just fill in the gaps if you care.

Last edited:

Abiloey

HSC
1st point: Exactly, but because we are talking about time in the context of universe "before" is meaningless. Let's not get hung up on this though. My only point with it was that if the universe can't just exist, why can god?

2: Even if you count a foetus as alive, why does it override the woman's right to determine her own life?

3: You'd think so, but no. The United states being a prime example.
1. It is a general view in Physics that one cannot view the frame of reference that they reside in. We currently reside in the 4th dimension, time and hence can view that objects are 3d and such. If you looked at a still picture, how would you know that it had depth? We can't see time, only feel it. In the same way, God is probably in the 5th dimension or further and hence "outside" time. That way, it's possible that God has always existed, even "before" the beginning of time. (very much summed up)

2. It's the human nature to defend what is weak. It doesn't override the woman's right to determine her life, it overrides the woman's decision to end another thing's life

3. The United States aren't all Christian, not all people voting are Christian and since when were the United States a prime example of Christians?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Because the law isn't supposed to reflect the will of the majority it is supposed to uphold justice and be based on reason. Immediately you are contradicting yourself. Where is the equality before the law in the case of gay marriage? You say that you value the dignity of life yet the right of a minute foetus overules the dignity of a woman. Furthermore the populist christian view is would no doubt maintain that the death penalty should still be in place.

This is without getting into other associated issues, such as pedophilia within the catholic church; and ignoring the fact that the bible says that only god should pass judgements.
You have this inaccurate idea of the Church and this leads you to make distorted conclusions about the world. Remedy this.

Our political system is democratic; as such our laws reflect a democratic will. This is how we govern. I admit that I prefer your idea of a super-reasoned justice-bot doing all our governance without reference to the people, but this doesnt seem practical (yet).

Your criticisms about the Church on homosexuals, life and the death penalty are wrong because (for one) people are never required to listen to us if they dont want to. Our message only holds weight with members of our Church.

Abiloey

HSC
Independent polling show almost 80% of Australians want euthanasia legalized, and only 4% of Australians oppose abortion under all circumstances (it is currently in the criminal code under all circumstances).
Independent polling means it's a select group that have been polled. I myself have not taken such a survey and such only 80% of surveyed Australians are for legalisation and 4% of surveyed Australians are against.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
1. It is a general view in Physics that one cannot view the frame of reference that they reside in. We currently reside in the 4th dimension, time and hence can view that objects are 3d and such. If you looked at a still picture, how would you know that it had depth? We can't see time, only feel it. In the same way, God is probably in the 5th dimension or further and hence "outside" time. That way, it's possible that God has always existed, even "before" the beginning of time. (very much summed up)

2. It's the human nature to defend what is weak. It doesn't override the woman's right to determine her life, it overrides the woman's decision to end another thing's life

3. The United States aren't all Christian, not all people voting are Christian and since when were the United States a prime example of Christians?
All dimensions began at the big bang, but whatever. Whatever "dimension" god resides in, it still begs the question of what created it?
Every president ever had been christian and the vast majority of elected officals are. Not arguing on abortion here, but I don't agree that life begins at conception. That in itself is a christian view.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
You have this inaccurate idea of the Church and this leads you to make distorted conclusions about the world. Remedy this.

Our political system is democratic; as such our laws reflect a democratic will. This is how we govern. I admit that I prefer your idea of a super-reasoned justice-bot doing all our governance without reference to the people, but this doesnt seem practical (yet).

Your criticisms about the Church on homosexuals, life and the death penalty are wrong because (for one) people are never required to listen to us if they dont want to. Our message only holds weight with members of our Church.
We aren't required to listen but the laws of the country have been dictated by christian values rather than reason or democracy. You can't have your cake and eat it too by saying "christian values are great except that we the people don't agree with where they are wrong." The strength of minority christian lobbies via divisive politics is why these things are still so ingrained within our system.

If this is not the case why do you think gay marriage (or civil union, if you prefer) has not yet been legalised? You claim that the message only holds weight within the church but that is simply not true in this case. If that were the case and the values were merely meant to be a quiet voice of conscience, have the elected officals not said "okay within the state jurisdiction gay civil unions shall be legalised, but it is up to churches to decide whether they will honour them in terms of religious marriage."

Abiloey

HSC
All dimensions began at the big bang, but whatever. Whatever "dimension" god resides in, it still begs the question of what created it?
Every president ever had been christian and the vast majority of elected officals are. Not arguing on abortion here, but I don't agree that life begins at conception. That in itself is a christian view.
YOU say all dimensions begin at the big bang o_O We probably can't even comprehend any dimension beyond our own, so that remark was unwarranted
Just because someone says they're Christian doesn't make them a Christian, after all, Christians are a congregate of people who believe in Jesus as their savior, that's the only actual necessity of a Christian. So it's possible that NO president was ever Christian.
When does life begin then? You could argue that life begins with cohesive thought, because if one doesn't know they're alive are they? "I think therefore I am"

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Does a cancerous tumour count as life then?

Okay I'll rephrase. Every President ever has been an attending member of a christian church. Geeze to go further, JFK is the only Catholic president there has ever been.

You're arguing semantics on the dimension/beginning of time point.
You keep dodging the question. Why does the universe need a creator but god doesn't?

Abiloey

HSC
I guess he could have a creator, but God, being God, doesn't lie and He told Abraham and stuff that He has always been.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Even if that's true (and I doubt it)
Out of touch with reality.

youre still only arguing with the political process. Vote for someone else? Lobby parties for change? Change parties from within? Mek ur own? This half-baked idea of a Christian conspiracy to stifle democracy is lolable
I'm not saying there's a conspiracy.

Views that are extremist and opposed to the views held among the majority of modern "christians" (or at least the multitude of casual, non-churchgoers who continue to use that label throughout their lives), for some reason retain significant political influence. I can conceive of a few possible reasons why this may be, but I can't say I fully understand why democracy does not reflect the will of the majority in this instance.

Abiloey said:
Independent polling means it's a select group that have been polled. I myself have not taken such a survey and such only 80% of surveyed Australians are for legalisation and 4% of surveyed Australians are against.
These polls are conducted according to scientific method. They collect a randomized sample, determined to be of sufficient size to gain an accurate representation of the populations views. In any statistical poll, there is a margin of error. A simple process is used to determine whether the margin of error for this survey lies within a 95% confidence interval.

That is, the results have a 95% probability of accurately representing the population.

That is a terrible brief history of statistics, but I swear I got a distinction in the course at the time...

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
So your rationale is that is says so in the bible?
No wonder you avoided answering so long.

Abiloey

HSC
These polls are conducted according to scientific method. They collect a randomized sample, determined to be of sufficient size to gain an accurate representation of the populations views. In any statistical poll, there is a margin of error. A simple process is used to determine whether the margin of error for this survey lies within a 95% confidence interval.

That is, the results have a 95% probability of accurately representing the entire population.

That is a terrible brief history of statistics, but I swear I got a distinction in the course at the time...
And yet, here we are. This democratic society has shown that the statistics were wrong. I'm pretty sure that means at least 50% do not want euthanasia legalised... that's a bit more than the 20% you told us of. But we're only human, I could be wrong, missing some vital piece of information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)