Why do people think Mathematics Extension 2 is so hard? (1 Viewer)

PhysicsGirl

HSC
Yes, unless you are like, the God of Mathematics. If you start doing 4U, then IMO, you're going to have to start dedicating at least 50% of your study time to it, if not more. You have to make an consistent effort to keep up with your work; it is the same thing for any subject come HSC time, it is just that some subjects have an larger quantity than others. How are you going with 3U so far? If you can't cope with it because you're not dedicating enough time to it, then I would strongly recommend you against MX2.

HSC
Uni Grad
I meant overrated in terms of difficulty. And yes , 4U carries a huge workload. I know about it, I dedicate about 60% of my study time on 3U and 4U stud. But yeah, like I said, if you hate Maths, you will find it hard. If you love Maths, you will be able to master it. Nothing is impossible; study it out of interest. If you like what you study, you will be more than motivated to do well in it.
what

Alkanes

HSC
haha, oh you :haha:

I would say that i'm average at maths, but I really like calculus and algebra. Thing is though, that I never do my maths homework or revision- and I start 4u in a fortnight :/
If one isn't dedicated to maths, is 4u a bad idea?
Didn't you say you started 4u maths last week?

PhysicsGirl

HSC
Yes, technically it is the same "workload" as other 2U subjects, they probably won't give you 100 4U questions to do. The point is that the effort that is required for each question is much greater than for like an 2U question.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, technically it is the same "workload" as other 2U subjects, they probably won't give you 100 4U questions to do. The point is that the effort that is required for each question is much greater than for like an 2U question.
you do less questions then, simple

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I am a bit puzzled by the concept of schools teaching 4U early. Why don't they teach the 2U HSC content for students to gain a solid foundation. Oh well, complex numbers and graphs are fun anyway.

PhysicsGirl

HSC
You can't afford to do that in Year 12. Yes, you could probably get away with all of that in junior years, even Year 11, but you can't afford to be lazy and not do enough questions for a course like 4U. You have to do as many as you possibly can. It's about PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE; that is how you master something.

Also, DO NOT do it just for the scaling. That would be really stupid. Scaling only helps you if you make an effort.

HSC
Uni Grad
I am a bit puzzled by the concept of schools teaching 4U early. Why don't they teach the 2U HSC content for students to gain a solid foundation. Oh well, complex numbers and graphs are fun anyway.
because it's not really required, the 2u needed for some 4u topics can be taught in 5 mins

like if the topic is integration and you've never done integration of sinx, cosx, tanx, e^x and 1/x before, a 4u class will easily be able to learn these in a couple of minutes

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, DO NOT do it just for the scaling. That would be really stupid. Scaling only helps you if you make an effort.
no, scaling and aligning alone is a great reason to do 4u

maybe you won't get a good mark compared to other 4u students but you'll end up with a good mark compared to other subjects

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
because it's not really required, the 2u needed for some 4u topics can be taught in 5 mins

like if the topic is integration and you've never done integration of sinx, cosx, tanx, e^x and 1/x before, a 4u class will easily be able to learn these in a couple of minutes
Couple of minutes? What about Polynomials?

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't afford to do that in Year 12. Yes, you could probably get away with all of that in junior years, even Year 11, but you can't afford to be lazy and not do enough questions for a course like 4U. You have to do as many as you possibly can. It's about PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE; that is how you master something.
so you created a thread to downplay the difficulty of 4u now you're saying it's the shit?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
umm definition of a polynomial, long division, factor theorem, remainder theorem

i started poly in 4u before 3u

teacher went through all that in half a lesson
That is very quick. Took me a few days to fully master remainder theorem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)