Why do people think Mathematics Extension 2 is so hard? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not that simple, you actually have to know when to apply certain formulas and etc, and it begins to get really complex. MX2 is a whole new level compared to 2u, it's pretty challenging.
are you speaking from experience or is that just shit you heard from others?

PhysicsGirl

HSC
No, it is never a good idea to do a subject because of the scaling. If you are horrible at Maths, it would make no sense to do the course just to get scaled up. You do the subjects you enjoy; the effort required to get 50 in Ext 2 is hardly the same as the effort required to get that same mark in 2U. That is why they have scaling; to balance subjects out. It is not meant to be an disadvantage for anyone. And scaling only helps you if you work hard.

HSC
N/A
hey, out of curiosity, how many hours do you guys have allocated to 4u math in school (lesson wise)?

I have 2 hours a week of 4u classes.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
No, it is never a good idea to do a subject because of the scaling. If you are horrible at Maths, it would make no sense to do the course just to get scaled up. You do the subjects you enjoy; the effort required to get 50 in Ext 2 is hardly the same as the effort required to get that same mark in 2U. That is why they have scaling; to balance subjects out. It is not meant to be an disadvantage for anyone. And scaling only helps you if you work hard.
It's not hard to get 50 in 4U. They pretty much gift you the marks for that, especially Integration in Q1. Getting 100% on the other hand is a little more difficult.

hey, out of curiosity, how many hours do you guys have allocated to 4u math in school (lesson wise)?

I have 2 hours a week of 4u classes.
I have morning lessons every Monday and Friday at 7:30 for an hour.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
MX2 isn't hard concept-wise. The concepts are easy, it's just the applications and solutions and questions can be lolwat sometimes.

PhysicsGirl

HSC
You are not understanding what I am saying; just because I said it's not as hard as people say it is doesn't mean it is not a lot of work. You can't afford to be lazy in MX2; you will find it easy only if you do the work behind it, otherwise it is just a waste of time.

Alkanes

HSC
My 3/4U timetable will be offline - early in the mornings and after schools only. =="

HSC
Uni Grad
4u's scaling and aligning compensates for its inherent difficulty

HSC
N/A
My 3/4U timetable will be offline - early in the mornings and after schools only. =="
you think that's bad?
we have it four times a fortnight during our lunchtimes+ once a fortnight, we have triple math consecutively (double math+ 4u lesson straight after during lunch).
I would much rather evening/morning lessons.

HSC
Uni Grad
You are not understanding what I am saying; just because I said it's not as hard as people say it is doesn't mean it is not a lot of work. You can't afford to be lazy in MX2; you will find it easy only if you do the work behind it, otherwise it is just a waste of time.
no it's not a lot of work

if you put the same amount of effort into say 3u and 4u

you may be getting 85% in 3u but only 50% in 4u

but,

4u's scaling and aligning compensates for its inherent difficulty

PhysicsGirl

HSC
Seriously, have you even ATTEMPTED Maths Extension 2?
A girl in my grade always get like 100% in EVERY SINGLE extension 1 exam in year 12, and she is only ranked 4th in extension 2 Maths.....
Even I find it hard to get some of the concepts in ext 2!!
Plus, there isn't a particularly amazing textbook for ext 2 Maths, each textbook has its own pros and cons, so I have to end up hopping around textbooks to find the theory which is explained better......
I do 4U. I'm in Year 12.

HSC
Uni Grad
@ lesson times discussion

2unit subs are 120 hours for the whole year so 3/4u maffs are 60 hours each

there are 30 school weeks in the year, so 2 hours a week seems about right

HSC
Uni Grad
also all the 4u kids in my class also have the same free periods so we do it during them yay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)