• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

writing notes (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
@ you two above;
compare marks. if you still remember them lawl

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Basically all the biology text books are shit. For various dot point they have their moments but as a whole they suck. As ive told you before kiss is alright. Basically my teacher gave us notes by either writing them on the board and giving us sheets which summarised the dot points perfectly, from which i wrote my own notes on what the dot point was asking, you dont need to add all this extra information which i found people on this forum were doing in the lead up to the bio hsc exam.

Seriously my method works, as long as you just dont make silly mistakes in the exams. I made silly mistakes in all five exams (internals and externals) and got 95 so

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
nottellingu said:
I dont know why you would take the risk and write less...there is SOOO much time in a hsc science exam...most band 6 students finish at least 30-45 mins early, atleast !
I never finished a bio exam to my satisfaction, i found the other top rankers were in the same boat, i never had as much time as i would like

nottellingu

HSC
katie tully said:
It's not writing less you fucking idiot, it's writing concisely and to the point. It's ridiculous and shows what an inept student you are, if you can't answer the question without waffling on.

If you can predicit the marking criteria for an 8 mark question and write the minimum amount and get full marks hats off to you. You shouldve come 1st in the state by a mile.

The only person who is a fucking idiot is the person who doesnt use the system to their advantage. It is like 4 years since you did the hsc but if u remember correctly they use positive marking !

DP...Katie wont remember them...she proably didnt even look at her marks. I mean wtf do marks mean anyway....after all she is at 'uni' ;) :rofl:

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
hey katie, please, ah, answer our queries then.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
dp624 said:
hey katie, please, ah, answer our queries then.
What were your queries?

Are you again asking how one can prepare adequately for unexpected 8 mark questions? Perhaps you need to ask somebody who topped the state in Biology ;)

I think you'll find that they answered the question concisely, without padding it out with shit 'just incase'.

If you're asking what I got in biology, well, frankly it's irrelevant yah? Let's just say I did well enough to be able to explain how to study effectively for it and gain good marks ;)

dp624

HSC
we are not padding. we are adding things to our answers which are relevant. perhaps not needed, but they strengthen the argument and answer.

Well hmm. In an equivalent science course (chemistry is similar enough) i got a state ranking. 12 other people from my school did too. and i can assure you that most of those that i know over-wrote.

and i know the person who came 2nd in state in bio. close enough.

nottellingu

HSC
Ive corrected it because i have the humility to listen and accept mistakes. Thanks fo that katie

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
dp624 said:
we are not padding. we are adding things to our answers which are relevant. perhaps not needed, but they strengthen the argument and answer.

Well hmm. In an equivalent science course (chemistry is similar enough) i got a state ranking. 12 other people from my school did too. and i can assure you that most of those that i know over-wrote.

and i know the person who came 2nd in state in bio. close enough.
Contradiction.

If they are not needed, how can they strengthen the argument and the answer??

If you're padding because you think you've already answered the question well enough, but you want to be sure, why are you still yapping about this.

Allow me to explain what I mean by 'waffling' and 'padding'

Waffling is when you have no idea, or you didn't study the question enough, so you write a sort of correct answer but then go off on a tangent to make the answer look bigger, without actually adding to it.

Padding is well, if you think you've answered the question correctly but you want to add more just incase - that's fine. As long as your original answer was correct and to the point, if you want to spend extra time throwing stuff in, go ahead.

See the distinction between waffling and padding? My original post referred to waffling - the unnecessary excessive answering of a question in an attempt to beef it up.

dp624

HSC
katie tully said:
Contradiction.

If they are not needed, how can they strengthen the argument and the answer??

If you're padding because you think you've already answered the question well enough, but you want to be sure, why are you still yapping about this.

Allow me to explain what I mean by 'waffling' and 'padding'

Waffling is when you have no idea, or you didn't study the question enough, so you write a sort of correct answer but then go off on a tangent to make the answer look bigger, without actually adding to it.

Padding is well, if you think you've answered the question correctly but you want to add more just incase - that's fine. As long as your original answer was correct and to the point, if you want to spend extra time throwing stuff in, go ahead.

See the distinction between waffling and padding? My original post referred to waffling - the unnecessary excessive answering of a question in an attempt to beef it up.
PERHAPS not needed. but PERHAPS needed also. you never know.
well your definitions are weird tbh, but let's use them.

ok, so i pad. a lot of people do. it gives us peace of mind. and arguable we might do better.

waffling is bad yes. but they still ahve to read it and there is a small chance that you may gain some marks.

padding>concise>waffle>no answer

also you referred to padding
I think you'll find that they answered the question concisely, without padding it out with shit 'just incase'.
and i'm willing to bet you that the 1st in state people ALL go overboard

dp624

HSC
Ok, i personally know the 1st and 2nd and 5th to 10th in chem (myself included), and 2nd in bio, 5th and 9th in phys, etc
and yes they all did 'pad'
that enough?

and don't gimme crap about bio =\= chem
the principles of answering questions are similar enough

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
before you did (you said that bio and chem, the answering is diferent.) i believe they're the same enough

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No, I said that I couldn't compare them because I didn't do chem in the HSC, and the chem I've done at uni had no long answer responses.

Whatever you're smoking, stop it.

dp624

HSC
katie tully said:
No, I said that I couldn't compare them because I didn't do chem in the HSC, and the chem I've done at uni had no long answer responses.

Whatever you're smoking, stop it.
So, ah, again, might you answer my post? As in, you told me to find 'padders'. or, to show that they went overboard
I found some. does this not show that padding is NOT bad?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
dp624 said:
So, ah, again, might you answer my post? As in, you told me to find 'padders'. or, to show that they went overboard
I found some. does this not show that padding is NOT bad?
You didn't find any, you gave me anecdotal evidence about how you know some and they did 'pad'.

State ranking Bio kids, post here!

nottellingu

HSC
i got pretty close to a state rank in bio and i padded...like crazy...but i also knew my content well...i padded to be safe.

Just stop arguing with a person that got a 100 uai and state ranks...obviously his/her methods were alot more effective than yours

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nottellingu said:
i got pretty close to a state rank in bio and i padded...like crazy...but i also knew my content well...i padded to be safe.

Just stop arguing with a person that got a 100 uai and state ranks...obviously his/her methods were alot more effective than yours
Well not necessarily. The study method that works for some people doesn't necessarily work with other people.

I mean, there are few others who ask me about maths study method and all I tell them is that I learn the concept and do past papers! And obviously, that doesn't work for them...they got worse mark AFTER I gave them advices on how to study...

But I do agree that dp624 is definitely different. His study method is extrmely effective in many ways - that's why he is my hero. :shy:

Anyways, thanks to both katie and david! I think I understand now...and thanks again for covering all the issues that I had with myself in regards to my note taking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)