Year 10 Subject Selection Help (1 Viewer)

MrPresident

HSC
Hi guys, my name is Clinton, I am in Year 10, and I go to Fort Street High School (Hello fellow Fortians). I am having a hard time in terms of what subjects I have to choose for Year 11 and 12. I am already doing Extension (Preliminary) Maths (I am accelerated, and yes that means that I am definitely doing Extension 2 maths in year 12) and I have only decided to stay with doing advanced english, since I am not that great at English (High B for latest report), and I have heard that doing both extension maths and english is quite a burden anyways and that many people end up changing their mind and dropping out on one of the courses down to the respective lower level for the subject. I have also chosen to do Economics (I plan on doing a Commerce or Actuary degree once I leave high school, and if I do better, I might even consider an Combined Law degree) and Physics, which are two subjects that I am quite interested in, and that I'm sure I will enjoy studying. However, the fact that I have done Extension 1 maths means that I have to do a total of 13 units (I have considered Studies of Religion and Photography/Digital Imaging, and I am not interested in either of those courses). Right now I have a total of 9 units worth of Board Developed Courses. However, I am not sure of what other subjects to choose. I am possibly doing Legal Studies, but I am definitely planning on dropping the subject because in Year 12 I will have 14 units (due to Extension 2 maths), which is too much work. This leaves me with either Biology or Chemistry, and I am not sure which one to pick. For anyone who did both of these courses, which one do you like more (disregarding scaling) and why? If you are only doing only one of these courses right now, are you enjoying the course? Is studying for the topic easy? Do you regret your decision in choosing either of them? I need to make my decision quick, because Friday is interview day, and I am going to need to justify why I chose the subjects that I did choose :( (I was only given just above a week, which is in my opinion, not much time to come to a full conclusion).

Last edited:

spatula232

HSC
I'm only in yr 10 as well but the workload from chemistry is a lot (apparently :)). So u r doing eco, physic, adv english, ext maths and possibly chemistry. They are all a lot of work, yet many say that chem is good yet you must stay on top. If you think you can handle doing chem, then go for it. It honestly is just preference. Just wondering, how many units are you allowed, cause i can only do 12 or 13. If you feel you are interested and can handle the work, go for it. Ask how much time next year you will have to swap subjects if you find it too much or you dont like the subject. Id just talk to ur science teacher and ask what they think will suit you best.

Sorry, dont no if i was much help lol but thats my opinion

MrPresident

HSC
I'm not sure, because as you said, all the subjects I have selected have heaps of work. I'm not sure if I can handle doing chemistry, and I am scared I'm going to "burn out". My time management is good though. I can prioritise and I make sure I get my work done before I go and enjoy other things. I just don't to take any risks because it will be a pain going to the deputy principal and going through the whole process of changing subjects as well (The deputy said he doesn't like it, and I don't think I will either).

EDIT: Also a friend of mine told me that I should go to my career advisor, but he didn't tell me what to discuss, which was a mistake on my part (I forgot to ask him). What should I go and see my careers advisor about?

Last edited:

spatula232

HSC
Yeah. That's a good idea. I went to mine. Just tell him/her what you are thinking about doing and how you are unsure what you want to pick. You may have to book in tho, just depends. tbh if i was you i personally wouldnt do chemistry cause of the work load (thats my opinion, do what you want). Yet definitely talk to your teachers tomorrow. Just tell em your unsure (mine where a great help anyways). Are you just dropping the last subject in yr 12 cause of ext 2 maths? If so, do you think it is worth putting a lot of stress on you by doing a heap of work? Honestly, you know yourself the best. if you think you can handle, just go for it. If not, dont worry (esp. if ur dropping it in yr 12. dont get stuck with something you dont want to do).

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
I would go for chem, Biology is a shit load of reading from what I've been told and by the looks of it your more of maths orientated person. :)

just my 2 cents

MrPresident

HSC
I would go for chem, Biology is a shit load of reading from what I've been told and by the looks of it your more of maths orientated person. :)

just my 2 cents
I will definitely consider that. As you said, I am definitely more of a maths oriented person, and I am doing well in my Extension I preliminary, which is a result I am hoping to replicate next year for my HSC :)

spatula232

HSC

just my 2 cents
Yeah, but chemistry u need a lot of study, by the sounds of his units he already is going to have a lot of that going on

MrPresident

HSC
Yeah. That's a good idea. I went to mine. Just tell him/her what you are thinking about doing and how you are unsure what you want to pick. You may have to book in tho, just depends. tbh if i was you i personally wouldnt do chemistry cause of the work load (thats my opinion, do what you want). Yet definitely talk to your teachers tomorrow. Just tell em your unsure (mine where a great help anyways). Are you just dropping the last subject in yr 12 cause of ext 2 maths? If so, do you think it is worth putting a lot of stress on you by doing a heap of work? Honestly, you know yourself the best. if you think you can handle, just go for it. If not, dont worry (esp. if ur dropping it in yr 12. dont get stuck with something you dont want to do).
Haha! My career's advisor is pretty easy going, she says we can go visit her any time, which is awesome :). I am definitely going to find some time to ask all my teachers all the uncertainties I have, and I'm sure I will have come to a decision by the end of this week :D.

deloving

HSC
In regards to picking Legal studies... do not pick a subject you think you're going to drop in the end... It's a waste of time, and you may end up hating your other subjects - yes, you may think you know what you want to do but many students change their minds once they get to know the subject.

If you're keen on doing both Biology and Chemistry and can't choose between them, give both of them a go and decide at the end of year 11. It's the best option in my opinion. Then you also won't have to pick Legal Studies. You'll be left with Advance, Maths, Extension, Physics, Economics (=9 units) and then Chemistry and Biology (=13 units) to choose what to keep for year 12. Or if your school allows its, begin with 15 units (that's what I did).

CM07

HSC
In regards to picking Legal studies... do not pick a subject you think you're going to drop in the end... It's a waste of time, and you may end up hating your other subjects - yes, you may think you know what you want to do but many students change their minds once they get to know the subject.

If you're keen on doing both Biology and Chemistry and can't choose between them, give both of them a go and decide at the end of year 11. It's the best option in my opinion. Then you also won't have to pick Legal Studies. You'll be left with Advance, Maths, Extension, Physics, Economics (=9 units) and then Chemistry and Biology (=13 units) to choose what to keep for year 12. Or if your school allows its, begin with 15 units (that's what I did).
I also think you should do both Biology and Chemistry (as I did) and decide later on which you would like to drop.

MrPresident

HSC

Wow, that's actually a very good point! However, i'll go and ask my teachers and talk with my careers advisor first, but I will definitely consider that over the next few days.

EDIT: I've been thinking for a moment and honestly, I don't really like the idea of doing 15 units for my Preliminary. I'm already doing subjects which require lots of dedication, and if I do much, I'm worried that the amount of work will actually deter me and make me less motivated to work. Another thing I can do ask friends in year 11 for some sample notes on bio and chemistry, and from there, I can possibly come to a decision :)

Last edited:

WolfEmDown

LOL ign : PlayDis
HSC
hope you don't get Dr Hall for Physics, cool guy but teaches slow and occasional days where he's away (then again physics helps a bit with 4unit maths)
do chemistry since economics is gonna make you piss yo pants with all the essays they expect you to do :L (depending on teacher you can probably get away with not doing much essays bahaha (eg. liek me) and legal studies requires quite a couple of essays as well)
from what ive heard biology seems like a real pain since you have to remember a lot of stuff unless you're really good at rememorising stuff (start learning bio early (if you want to choose it), thats what a friend of mine did and hes like top 5 for bio :p)
doing triple science requires good grades in your year 10 science :p
but ultimately its your choice :)

MrPresident

HSC
I asked my science teacher today and he said that I will be much better off doing chemistry instead of biology. He said that some work you do in chemistry may also come in handy in physics (?). Other than that, I will talk with my career's advisor, and I will think about what to put in place of legal studies.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
In my view: if you are able, choose the foundational disciplines: English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, History . . .. I believe people in Yr 10 may think they want to do Law, so choose Legal Studies; or they hope to do Commerce, so choose Business Studies or they hope to do Engineering, so choose Engineering Studies. I think that is wrong approach.If you hope to pursue Engineering, make sure you do Physics and at least 3U Maths. Engineering Studies, useful and interesting, no doubt - is not the pathway to Engineering; Maths and Physics are. If you want to do Chemical Engineering or Mining Engineering, you need Chemistry.

Don't get me wrong: every subject available for the HSC is interesting: be it Business Studies, Legal Studies, Aboriginal Studies, Study of Religion, Society & Culture etc etc. But you should choose the basic disciplines because they are foundational. By choosing the right combination of subjects, ou open up pathway to many different courses. How do you know, in Yr 10 say, what you really want to be; you may change your mind. So don't get caught short 2 years later.

MrPresident

HSC
In my view: if you are able, choose the foundational disciplines: English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, History . . .. I believe people in Yr 10 may think they want to do Law, so choose Legal Studies; or they hope to do Commerce, so choose Business Studies or they hope to do Engineering, so choose Engineering Studies. I think that is wrong approach.If you hope to pursue Engineering, make sure you do Physics and at least 3U Maths. Engineering Studies, useful and interesting, no doubt - is not the pathway to Engineering; Maths and Physics are. If you want to do Chemical Engineering or Mining Engineering, you need Chemistry.

Don't get me wrong: every subject available for the HSC is interesting: be it Business Studies, Legal Studies, Aboriginal Studies, Study of Religion, Society & Culture etc etc. But you should choose the basic disciplines because they are foundational. By choosing the right combination of subjects, ou open up pathway to many different courses. How do you know, in Yr 10 say, what you really want to be; you may change your mind. So don't get caught short 2 years later.
Yeah, I was planning on replacing Legal Studies (dropping in year 12 so i can have 12 units) but if I start to dislike another subject, I will be kinda stuck in what to drop.

HSC
If you're aiming for a Band 6, I'd suggest Biology, since the concepts are much easier to grasp and the content is not as demanding and difficult as the chemistry course. I do both chemistry and biology, and personally love them both for very different reasons. I hardly get any homework for Biology, and there's the occasional assignment which is not too demanding. It's really quite easy to study for. With Chemistry, there is more homework and some tricky calculations involved...
It's simply a preference... would you rather learn about the human body and living things, or the elements and what happens at the molecular level during reactions?
Good luck :)

MrPresident

HSC
Conclusion: Yes, I have replaced Legal Studies with Geography, which is a subject that I enjoy a lot, and probably one of the only subjects, other than maths, in which I have gotten an A in my report since year seven. I will probably keep this subject, since I have been getting great results for it. As for Year 12, I can only wait to see which subject I am least motivated to continue. But as of right now, thanks so much for all the help! :D

florag

HSC
Gahhhh!!
DON'T DO LEGAL STUDIES, WHATEVER YOU DO!
It is literally d.e.a.t.h.

I dropped it in term 3 (year 11) and i swear it was theeee best thing i've ever done in my life.

Other than that, its all i can help you with regarding your inquiries. :)

florag

HSC
Mmmhmmmm, Geo is so great, especially in year 12 :D
Goodluck!!

MrPresident

HSC
Ok, guys.

I've spoken to some people, and I've decided on what subjects I should take. They will be:
3U Math, 2U Eng (Advanced), 2U Chem (already in accelerated), 2U Phys, 2U SDD, 2U Economics
And in year 12 these will become:
4U Math, 2U Eng (adv), 2U Phys with 2U Chem already completed.

Just for my interview tomorrow, does anyone have any tips?
My career choices are most likely going to be either in Computer Engineering or in Medicine.
I basically feel that Phys and Math complement each other well.
Eng adv because I'm not very good.
Physics because of engineering.

Anyone have some sentimentally touching dialogue that I can use tomorrow to guarantee my place in these subjects.

Cheers,
Fort Street? Vish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)