Year 11 2014 Chat :) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spatula232

HSC
My teacher can't teach. Like not me being critical, she's absolutely terrible... She goes off on tangents that don't even remotely relate to legal studies. I like the subject (the actual content) but I'm not learning a thing (and nor is anyone in the class). What can I do? Last resort would be to go from the textbook alone, but I don't really want to resort to that...

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher can't teach. Like not me being critical, she's absolutely terrible... She goes off on tangents that don't even remotely relate to legal studies. I like the subject (the actual content) but I'm not learning a thing (and nor is anyone in the class). What can I do? Last resort would be to go from the textbook alone, but I don't really want to resort to that...
Geting a legal studies tutor seems to be the best way to go, or you can always resort to indepndent learning. In senior years, one thing you will realise is that there is a renewed emphasis on the importance of being able to demonstrate the skill of indepndent learning.

spatula232

HSC
Well, unless you can switch to another Legal class, there is little that you can do about it. You could choose to drop the subject altogether if the teaching is not satisfactory for you, but I would consider this as more the last resort. Other than leaning towards independent learning, perhaps you might be able to get a tutor?
There is only one class and I don't want to drop it, I'm really interested in the law and that's one of my ideas of what profession I'd want to go into in the future. Yeah independent learning and getting a tutor might have to be the way to go, because honestly it's almost impossible to get anything constructive done in class time.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
General question: Have you guys ever submitted a practice essay to your teacher who says it's A grade standard, but come to exam time it's given a B or C?

It pisses me off how my teacher's feedback is too general and they don't really point out WHAT and HOW I can improve.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
General question: Have you guys ever submitted a practice essay to your teacher who says it's A grade standard, but come to exam time it's given a B or C?

It pisses me off how my teacher's feedback is too general and they don't really point out WHAT and HOW I can improve.
But do empathise with your teachers a bit since your teachers have to mark so many essays on top of preparing for lessons and exams, it is actually very exhausting, plus-they still are entitled to have a normal life outside of school...so if you wish to get more detailed feedback, sometimes ask a teacher who has more time on their hands, i.e. teaches less classes or a tutor is always the best way to go. It is not until you become a teacher than do you realise just how tough the job can be, and for me, it is not until I have finished my HSC have I learnt to develop some empathy for my teachers.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Yes, I have had plenty of practice essays that have been graded as A but end up being mid-to-high B (luckily this did not occur in the HSC examinations). But in my case I do not think it is my teacher's fault, because my English teachers were more than capable, I think it had more to do with how I become a lot less eloquent when I am in an examination environment. :p
Yeah, I'm told that I need to express myself clearly as possible but when I get my results back, they always comment on having to use high order language. I'm just like, "wth, do you really expect me to churn all that crap out in 40 mins?"

I didn't realise I had to be as pretentious as possible in order to impress the markers so that's what I'm gonna do from now on.

beaubrah

HSC
But do empathise with your teachers a bit since your teachers have to mark so many essays on top of preparing for lessons and exams, it is actually very exhausting, plus-they still are entitled to have a normal life outside of school...so if you wish to get more detailed feedback, sometimes ask a teacher who has more time on their hands, i.e. teaches less classes or a tutor is always the best way to go. It is not until you become a teacher than do you realise just how tough the job can be, and for me, it is not until I have finished my HSC have I learnt to develop some empathy for my teachers.
How do you study the syllabus for physics and biology

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Ironically, my teachers told me that being as pretentious as possible would not get you more marks. I tend to believe their judgement because I think it is more important to be succinct and clear — there is little use in sounding pompous when you do not even know what you are saying and it comes all out like fluff. Sure, high-order language sounds nice when appropriate, but if it is not relevant to what you are talking about then I do not see how it should give you marks. Being descriptive is appropriate for creatives rather than essays.
Yeah, but the thing is that I'm shit at creative writing - it's so ambiguous and there's a lack of set structure. Unlike essays where if you just practice hardcore you'll get better, creative writing is a talent, one which I don't have unfortunately.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I can understand what you are saying. Creative writing is hard to develop as a skill, because it relies a fair amount on one's own imagination and natural talent in storytelling. And talking about a lack of structure, be glad you do not do Textual Dynamics in English Extension I. You actually have to be as disorganised and original as possible, while somehow equating this into post-modern genius. I actually had zero idea with what I was doing for that creative piece (another wonder to how I got a band 6) despite the fact I write frequently.
I don't know... I really wanted to improve, but all the English teachers I had didn't go in depth on how to construct a sophisticated creative writing. So I had to figure it out myself and I still struggle with it.

IcyRain

HSC
I am completely mind boggled on what to do with my creative writing assessment :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)