Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Curious, do you guys have your exam block in Week 7/8 as well? I do and since I've been sick for the last few weeks I've ended up having to cram every single subject except for Maths. xD
I remember I had mine around the same time, when I was in Year 10.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Mine will most likely be around late October or November. Do your teachers write up reports very quickly? Our school goes methodically and slow in the process of reports, hence more time needed.
Usually teachers get about a month to write up reports. I remember last semester some of our comments were quite similar and one teacher told us that if the teacher has no idea who you are, they use a template haha

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Usually teachers get about a month to write up reports. I remember last semester some of our comments were quite similar and one teacher told us that if the teacher has no idea who you are, they use a template haha
I hardly see those when I compare reports to my friends but it's likely they would have a template as a back up. :p

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I hardly see those when I compare reports to my friends but it's likely they would have a template as a back up. :p
That was only one teacher who used the template though :p He still doesn't know my name. We walk in class and he greets most people by name and when I walk in, "Hey mate."

Wonder

HSC
Better start working harder. I haven't gotten the exact details of yearly examinations at my school yet so it may be slightly later then you.
Yeah, next time I'm starting my study way earlier in case of any 'surprise' colds again... xD

Recently got the most stupid Science prac exam notification:
The task is an assessment of your ability to carry out specific scientific skills, including practical work and analysis of data. You will be required to carry out an individual independent investigation and also analyse data and experimental scenarios provided to you.

Well gee that helps a lot, tells us everything about what we're going to be assessed on..
I might be wrong but iirc my Science prac notification was almost/was exactly the same, so it might just have been grabbed from the syllabus. My Science teachers just told us to know all the practicals we've done on the topics in the written exam, if that helps?

LOL I remember once in Year 6 when in my class every single person's report comment was exactly the same except for my teacher's favourites.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Yeah, next time I'm starting my study way earlier in case of any 'surprise' colds again... xD

LOL I remember once in Year 6 when in my class every single person's report comment was exactly the same except for my teacher's favourites.
Haha, I missed my year 6 teacher because he genuinely influenced my reading in sci-fi. Wouldn't be surprised at those teacher's comments - I usually never read my primary school reports. You don't have to study incredibly early. You'll find that if you have an understanding of all that your teacher has covered and you have listened and contributed to the class and asked questions when you're in doubt, I find that I gain some purpose and enjoyment out of learning (aside from the recognition of marks).

Wonder

HSC
Haha, I missed my year 6 teacher because he genuinely influenced my reading in sci-fi. Wouldn't be surprised at those teacher's comments - I usually never read my primary school reports. You don't have to study incredibly early. You'll find that if you have an understanding of all that your teacher has covered and you have listened and contributed to the class and asked questions when you're in doubt, I find that I gain some purpose and enjoyment out of learning (aside from the recognition of marks).
I agree with you, it's just the content-heavy subjects (English, biology topic in Science, Social Sciences) that I'm worried about because there's so much to memorise!

Does anyone else's school uses the same weeks for the Year 10 exam block as the Year 11 ones? Mine does and I'm thinking it might explain why it's a bit early compared to most of you here...

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I agree with you, it's just the content-heavy subjects (English, biology topic in Science, Social Sciences) that I'm worried about because there's so much to memorise!

Does anyone else's school uses the same weeks for the Year 10 exam block as the Year 11 ones? Mine does and I'm thinking it might explain why it's a bit early compared to most of you here...
If you have an understanding and I truly emphasise on this, the learning becomes natural. There are times where you may be required to memorise such as English. I remember when my half yearly examination for form III gave us the question beforehand and obviously, it's best to have a draft answer prepared. My technique: Write out the essay and edit it. After that, make a copy of that paper but with dot points and simply read and understand the question asked. When you know your arguments, it should be a lot easier. None of this writing excessively on the paper until your brain memorises it.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
What's the topic you are currently studying? Something along the lines of evolution? I sorta like those surprise tests though we don't usually get practical tasks at all at my school. But remember: A test is not made to degrade any student. A well written examination is one where it tests all understanding of the topic covered by the teacher along with encouraging you to think beyond the scope of a simple natured curriculum. Clarify with your teacher if he/she can be more specific with the task.
Um we're mixing between electricity and chemical reactions so it could be either one :/

Wonder

HSC
If you have an understanding and I truly emphasise on this, the learning becomes natural. There are times where you may be required to memorise such as English. I remember when my half yearly examination for form III gave us the question beforehand and obviously, it's best to have a draft answer prepared. My technique: Write out the essay and edit it. After that, make a copy of that paper but with dot points and simply read and understand the question asked. When you know your arguments, it should be a lot easier. None of this writing excessively on the paper until your brain memorises it.
Thanks for the advice, it helps. :)

Wonder

HSC
Um we're mixing between electricity and chemical reactions so it could be either one :/
Don't know if this will help but my school did the chemical reactions topic in Year 9 so to give you an example, our practical exam involved going around to different stations, mixing solutions on a plastic sheet and figuring out whether it was a precipitation reaction.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Don't know if this will help but my school did the chemical reactions topic in Year 9 so to give you an example, our practical exam involved going around to different stations, mixing solutions on a plastic sheet and figuring out whether it was a precipitation reaction.
The beauty of science is the amount of straight forward thinking which is required. The creativity comes from the experiments you conduct. Also, safety requirements are always a must when you read prac tasks.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The beauty of science is the amount of straight forward thinking which is required. The creativity comes from the experiments you conduct. Also, safety requirements are always a must when you read prac tasks.
How about Maths?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
How about Maths?
The creativity of maths lies in the methods you can incorporate to tackle a question. Not to mention, the process and thought in developing a question. You'll find that almost every subject has some relationship to one another and that is seriously what I love about education.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Many people say "No room for creativity in Maths because it's black and white. True or false."

As true as that may be (regarding factual nature and axiomatic approach), there is SO much room to be creative, ESPECIALLY when you write questions.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Many people say "No room for creativity in Maths because it's black and white. True or false."

As true as that may be (regarding factual nature and axiomatic approach), there is SO much room to be creative, ESPECIALLY when you write questions.
I'm expecting you to publish a book dedicated to interesting and quirky problems. I will definitely sponsor.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I don't understand where the argument "maths isn't creative" comes from.

In my free period a few weeks back, I had an argument with this girl because she was so convinced that maths had absolutely no creativity involved in it at all.

The nature of maths itself is creative, it's not like numbers were given to us and we were told "this is how everything works". The fact that we, as human beings, have managed to create a system that defines pretty much everything around us into algorithms is more creative than anything I can think of atm.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
My one does. My exams are all next week along with the year 11's! Our Commerce exam is going to be with the Year 11 Physics one. So year 10 commerce and year 11 physics are all in the same exam room running at the same time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)